Gun Boat Caustic research

taking the working drawing and redoing it so i will print on a 11 x 17 sheet will fit 8 frames per sheet x 28 frames plus the frame blanks for the bow cant timbers
the profile and deck layout are to large for the 11 x 17 sheet. it is possible to split these drawings into two sheets then print both parts and tape them together.

caustic frames.JPG

I’ll say, impressive!
Can you lay out frames with all the futtocks and the finished frame drawing on a single sheet of 8-1/2” X11” paper each, like Mike did with the Blandford plans? It would make cutting frame parts and assembling frames easier for scratch building.

Is Winston going to offer the model as a scratch 1:32 scale option for the group build?

Can you lay out frames with all the futtocks and the finished frame drawing on a single sheet of 8-1/2” X11” paper each, like Mike did with the Blandford plans? It would make cutting frame parts and assembling frames easier for scratch building.

like this? these are nested to close to cut by hand they are laser cutting files

i will to do some CAD work tonight so lets see what's up

i need to create DXF files so anyone can print the files

caustic 3.jpg

Last edited:
Is Winston going to offer the model as a scratch 1:32 scale option for the group build?

i don't know
what i do know is i am sending him a 1/4 scale semi kit
i need to go over the files and see about cutting the frames in different scales. and then the guns? someone needs to create a STL file for printing the guns in 3/8 scale i have the guns cast at 1/4 scale

I'm thinking offer the kit in 1:48 only. You're already good to go for that! The 1:32 option would be for the more experienced scratch builder. Options for the guns in a scratch build could be "turn your own" out of brass or wood, 3-d printing, resin casting, or "phone a friend" for CNC carving out of wood! Builders choice!!

Is there anymore interest in this. I would be interested in building a little bit larger scale like what was mentioned making it about 2 foot in length. Just my 2 cents.

I'm still interested in this build as a full scratch at 1:32. If I had a set of 1:48 scale drawings for the futtocks and finished frames, keel, deadwood etc. these can be scaled up to 1:32 scale on a simple inkjet printer, assuming the layout of the 1:48 drawings is correct.

Dave referred me to Winstons build of the caustic and I might just go with as it is. I see that Winston has a large variety of woods (of which i am not good at picking out).
I do know that I do not want all the boat to be one type of wood. I am thinking of either Pear or Cherry for most of it, like the framing, then Boxwood for the trimming. I am not sure about the rest of it. I need to get more familiar with the boat before I order the kit. Sometimes, there can be too many decisions that get me too off course.

This small ship in large scale (1:32) would be a good project to follow the Blandford build project.

I would add to my list to work down the road, when other projects in dry dock get moved to sea!

Rigging as shown in photos would be simple compared to bigger tall mast ships.

I have a kit from I think Model Shipways on the Armed Gunboat, don't think it has a name associated with it.

How much different is the Caustic from the kit boat?

Is the kit boat realistic in design?

I have a kit from I think Model Shipways on the Armed Gunboat, don't think it has a name associated with it.

How much different is the Caustic from the kit boat?

Is the kit boat realistic in design?

The Caustic was a relatively unique gunboat given the size of the guns she carried. Nothing out there that approximates this.

Dave, you have a wonderful access to this type of largely forgotten and hard to find information. Thanks. Rich (PT-2)

at this scale it will be an impressive model here is the gun drawing at 1:32 scale

View attachment 175321
With some HSS rod stock and a lathe you could turn a functional muzzle loading FFFb (pistol) black powder firing cannon(s) bored for firing BBs I think, with a 1/16 inch vent for fuses that are available, but without good ballast the hull would be top heavy and roll beam ends . . .:-((( I remain not responsible for any use of this information as mini-firing cannons can be hazardous and possibly lethal. Rich (PT-2)

Back