H.M.A.V Bounty, Constructo 1:50

Yes it would have taken a good sailor and an even better navigator to sail that far. Bligh became Govenor of Australia(as it was then) and his cruelty towards convicts and ordinary settelers was even worse than when he was on ship.
Eric

And he was only 33 when he took command of the Bounty. His book on the mutiny-"Narrative of the Mutiny on board His Majesty's Ship "Bounty"; And the Subsequent Voyage of Part of the Crew, In the Ship's Boat, from Tofoa, one of the Friendly Islands, to Timor, a Dutch Settlement in the East Indies"
Is an interesting one.

Thanks for the info. I'm a big time history buff so I enjoy reading all the history that goes with this hobby.

Knowing the history of a model makes the modelmaker feel a part of or feel they belong to the history of the real ship (if that makes sense).

Regards
Eric

I think Bligh would probably be a nice bloke compared to this guy:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Pigot_(Royal_Navy_officer,_born_1769)

Well I have finally finished the hull and deck. Now I ready for the rigging. One of the funny things about building little stuff like this is; I am forever dropping things. The bad is I can't always find what I dropped. I do however find thing that I dropped earlier.

About losing things. I was trying to repair a problem with the ships lanterns and I dropped the top of my lantern. So far it has not turned up yet.
I'LL JUST KEEP LOOKING.

Very nice progress. I like it. Various colors used also brings out the personality of the ship.

So, how are you gonna rig it? Full, Furled, Stowed (no sails) ? The reason is to plan ahead. According to my studies, even if the ship has all of its sails taken down (or stowed), all of the rigging is still there in place ! The clew, leech, bunts lines etc are hauled up to the yards. I might need clarification on this, but I think I am correct. A lot of people leave this part of the rigging off thinking that it is not needed, but all of the rigging is still there.
If you Furl your sails, then if the kit comes with the sails, you are going to have to reduce the material about 2/3. You can look at my build log on the Trindad to see what I did.
Go to this link and scroll way down to about mid section and I detail how I made my furled sails.
http://shipsofscale.com/Trinidad/STBL19.html

Donnie

Thanks Donnie. I've been thinking that I will install the sails. I was looking at another build where the modeler made the sails look as if they were in a stout breeze. The modeler used an embroidery hoop some rocks for weight and the starch to hold the shape.
Like you said the ship looks better when all the rigging is done.

Hi Donnie, I followed the link to you build and I really like the way you did the sails. I was reading in one of my reference books and it showed a model with the sails stowed. I liked the look but I wondered how did he get those sails to pack so tight. Now I think I may try.

Here is my progress so far I got the bow sprit mounted and gammoned.

I read somewhere that to get the stowed sails looking tight is to use half the sail, half the drop length that is. It would seem a shame to cut the supplied sails but one can purchase some thin calico and it would do the trick.
Worth considering.

Regards
Eric

Thanks Eric,
That's a great idea. Oddly enough I thought about that. As you said it seam a shame to waist that sail cloth.

Thanks Donnie,
I really do appreciate all you advice and help. As a matter of fact: I learned how to rig shrouds and dead eyes from watching your you-tube video.

Well, then you all would not like what I did. I cut up all of my OcCre sails that came with the box. I did not feel like making sails, nor did I know how, I took the path of least resistance. Chopped up what I had !!!

Yep, it depends. On a "partially" furled sail, you will want to cut about 50% of the sail off. But, I found in a special way. In my humble opinion, you do not want to just cut straight across about half way down. You really need to cut a round drop (bulk) in the middle and lesser material on the ends.
THIS DEMONSTRATES A TYPICAL CUT PATTERN
THIS DEMONSTRATES A TYPICAL CUT PATTERN
THIS IS THE MID SECTION ROLLED UP AND MOISTENED W WATER TO FORM[/color]
ENDS OF SAILS CUT AND RIGGING TUCKED IN AND GLUED [/color]
THIS IS TOPGALLANT WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A LOT OF MATERIAL. GRAB THE MIDDLE OF SAIL SECTION
AND PULL DOWN WHILE IT IS WET AND EASY TO MANAGE TO "CREATE" THE FURL LOOK

I hope this helps and did not take over your build log with all of this. If you do not wish to clutter up your log with this info, just let me know and I will be glad to remove it. No problems. Some folks are picky about this.

One more thing, to do a "full" furl then you would need to then cut off even more material as the furl will definelty be tight and I have seen some pictures of the sails sitting on top of the yards furled.
The point is that ALL of the rigging will still be on the ship. The sails are taken down if stowed, but the running rigging is tied up on the yards.

Ok, one last point to "ponder" If you still want to do FULL SAILS out, then think about this. I suggest HIGHLY to adjust your yards with a slight offset. In other words, do not run your yards at 90° in relation to the mast , but rather at 80 ° or less to the mast. A ship at sea at full sail is going to have the yards turned to capture the wind. It is a little extra effort, but if you really want this model to stand out, then have your sails blown out in full wind blown position then turn your yards in just a little !!!!

If you DO furl your sails, you MUST lower your yards to the tops. Yards are hauled DOWN if not in sail.

Donnie

Hello Donnie

Great ideas you have for furling one's sails, I just may give your ideas a try. I for one like to see the sails on a ship but they do tend to hide a lot of the detail and the rigging. By furling a few of the lower sails one could have the best of both worlds, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }SAILPREP.jpg
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail09.jpg
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail12.jpg
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail14.jpg

yardforemastlowertopgallantsail23.jpg
yardforemastlowertopgallantsail24.jpg

Hello Mike

Great job you are doing on your Bounty, sure do love all of that fine detail that you are so skillfully adding to your ship, very nice, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Back