H.M.A.V Bounty, Constructo 1:50

Ahoy Ship Mates,
Back at work in my tiny ship yard.
I last wrote about making the Futtock Shrouds with dead eyes, and beginning the tying of the Fore Mainmast Rat-Lines.
IMG_1553 (2).JPG

With the Rat-Lines done it’s time for the Topmast Shrouds, and Futtock Shrouds.

IMG_1549 (2).JPG
IMG_1541 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike

It is looking excellent. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Geoff

Ahoy Mates,

This is an addition to my last build log. I wanted to put on some tall photo but this log doesn't like them. they keep showing up laying down.
So here are some photos of my topmast dead eyes.
More to come.IMG_1562 (2).JPGIMG_1563 (2).JPG

Looking good Mike, those little suckers are always a pain to attach, every time I do them they want to twist every way but the right way, you done a good job on them,

best regards John.

Hi Mike, are you remembering to wax your lines? As you may know it helps keep the "rope" stiff, is easier to work with and prolongs the life of the thread.
This was not to teach you how to suck eggs but more for the benefit of learners reading the post.
Regards
Eric

PS. sitting here typing I am looking at my Endeavour with yearning! BUT I have to get my studies out of the way first, I am in the throws of coding a web based program and the other week the terminal I was using at college decided to have a spat and in the process wiped out (literally) a very large chunk of code off my removable hard drive (it was reading from the drive at the time) I now have to start from scratch.

G'day Mike
Love your colour scheme or should I say color! Lol.
This hip played an important role in the Australian history, like the Endeavour.
When I built my endeavor I havtabuils5all the decking furnace. The kit is had was quite lousy to put it bluntly. AL... do I Havta say more.
I'll be keeping in touch.
havagooday
Greg

Hi Greg,
Thanks for visiting my build log and for your kind comments. I have seen all three versions of Mutiny on the Bounty, and I only did a cursory research on HMS Bounty through Wikipedia. The club members from down under have been filling me in a little here and there. Unlike many of our colleagues in this club I am an extreme novice ship builder. I love old sailing ships I to sail and I love this hobby.

G'day Mike
With all of those ships under your belt, I would class you way above a novice buider. More like an experienced one.
Havagoodweekend mate
Greg

Ahoy Ship Mates,
First off thanks Greg for you kind words, and for visiting my build log.
I'm back crackin thee whip in my ship yard. I have finished the shrouds aand ratline on the foremast and have moved on to the mainmast. I always go back to re-visit Donnie's video on rigging shrouds when I get to this part.
I also found a good video on ratline and for making a nice little rigging tool.
IMG_1567 (2).JPGIMG_1568 (2).JPGIMG_1569 (2).JPG

Looking good Mike.

Looking forward for more updates

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff for visiting my build log and for you kind words. Looking foreward to getting my new lathe Monday.

Hi Mike, she is a beautiful ship and you are making a great job. I liked it.

Mustafa

Hello Mike

Just catching up on your great build log on the HMS Bounty, I built a scratch version that I just completed this last spring. Sure do love that ship, such a joy to work on and such a nice size. My only regret is that I did not add a bunch of LED LIGHTS to her, they sure would look great at night as she is living in her display case.

Yes the rigging can be a bit trying, I try to take one line at a time, try to under stand what it does and how it would work on the real ship, making the whole thing much more easier.

You are doing a great job , Bounty will surely be a master piece wit hours of enjoyment doing the rigging, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Back