H.M.S. Victory Bow Section Panart 1:78

Greetings to all.
Not my first model but will be the first log I’ve attempted.
I’m working from my phone as I don’t have a working computer at the moment so bear with me.

61D2DDA1-5799-4040-9CE7-C51FB939C8CE.jpg

I’ve resized this by emailing myself and using the resize option so hopefully, resolution will be ok.

This will be the first in “Victory Series” that I’ve been planing for the past 9 years:rolleyes:. The whole life gets in the way of modeling seems to have been the theme plus trying to get some experience with other builds has put this in the shadows for too long. With what I’ve planned I figured I’d better get cracking. Being realistic this is going to be a 3 to the 4-year endeavor.

BB7BE7DA-9850-4505-BDA2-1F42906CBC89.jpeg

First the obligatory reference and research. This alone took almost 5 years, the cost is a factor some of these seemed to have been printed with 14k gold ink.

The big picture:2EC82895-A36E-4552-9DDA-385C98240A9D.jpeg

The full 1:78 kit and 1:16 launch both from Mantua/ Panart. I know there are much better versions being offered now. Caldercrafts which I bought then sold was the cream de le cream and I understand Amati has a 1:64 version in the works due for release in a year or two.
The reason I decided to stick with Panart was I purchased Bob Hunts practicum from lauck street. So a kit bash is in order. He still has support from what I understand so here we go.
I will do an unboxing and review if there’s interest. More to follow.
Best to all Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rich

That is a great collection of Victory builds you have in front of you.The bow section builds into a very nice and interesting model.The one thing I would say,is watch your first planking below the waterline.There is very little support provided by the few bulkheads.This coupled with the fact you do not benefit from bending the plank around midships like you would on the full hull,can lead to a nasty kink in the hull form.I have toyed with building this myself and contemplated spot gluing balsa infills in,sanding to shape and covering with tape to stop the planks sticking.After planking these could be removed,leaving the insides open and a smooth curve to the lower hull planking.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Rich,

Interesting projects.
Be aware with the panart Victory that the kit layout of the wales is totaly wrong and the kit uses too much etsched parts for the carvings in the stern and side gallery, so indeed you will have a lot of kit bashing to do which is a lot of fun. I do have the kit myself which I inherited some 30 years ago and which was already partly build. If I want to finish it I first have to remove all the wales and start from scratch.
I will follow with interest.

Here somebody is really addicted to the HMS Victory - a lot of work in front of you, but it will be a really nice "collection".
It will be very interesting to see this bow section "growing" - Highly interesting - so I will follow with big interest

Thanks to all who’ve looked in especially Maarten for the heads up on the wales issue. I recall I’ve seen that but can’t for the life of me remember where.

The kit seems to be standard fare from European mfgs. Multi lingual instructions with several large plans. No mention of color of paint required anywhere except a small reference that says refer to box cover hmmmm.

The quality of the wood, fittings, cannon etc is ok. I’m not thrilled with the figure head it is rather clunky and looks more like a belt buckle bent over a dowel. Also one bundle of hull planking that according to the instructions is supposed to be limewood is what appears to be rather furry walnut.E2174FD5-F25A-4863-8D30-3143001339D9.jpeg11EFBFF0-B462-4F49-8323-A892FEDF7D53.jpeg

Shot of the fittingsD11228C8-8516-4237-B49E-5DFB1F52080C.jpeg

There are only 2 cannon sizes which are I assume are 12lb and 32lb. So if I want to be accurate I’ll have to search for 24lb. The masts and yards are walnut so I may save these and sourse other material as these are all painted anyway. The rest of the wood is good so I don’t get the fuzzy
“Limewood”4FCB8D10-F491-4DA7-B747-CC40DCFBABF8.jpeg

All in all I think it’s a good kit and should a lot of fun read challenge just because of the lack of supporting frames up front. I’ve used balsa filler blocks coated with 50/50 pva water in situations on bluff bows but this will be visible so that’s out.

What I hope to achieve 14CEAFD3-FCB5-4064-AD37-EDCB28955178.jpeg
I know lofty goal but hey ya gotta dream big.
I’m going to try dry fit on frames tomorrow after work. Still working from phone so apologies if photos are weird and thanks to Mods for fixes.
Best to all Rich

Thanks for showing us this frame / bulkhead work - for me it is surprising, that this bow section is not often built

Nigel you are 100% correct. Frames 3 and 4 were reversed. This why you should never work on projects when tired or rush just because you want to complete a step.

Fortunate for me these were only dry fit so no harm. I appreciate any comments that help a better build. Thank you again Nigel.

No work tonite I’m currently engrossed in Maarten’s Royal Caroline build log.
Best to all Rich.

Greetings to all.
I’m working from my phone as I don’t have a working computer at the moment so bear with me.

I’ve resized this by emailing myself and using the resize option so hopefully, resolution will be ok.

This will be the first in “Victory Series” that I’ve been planing for the past 9 years:rolleyes:. The whole life gets in the way of modeling seems to have been the theme plus trying to get some experience with other builds has put this in the shadows for too long. With what I’ve planned I figured I’d better get cracking. Being realistic this is going to be a 3 to the 4-year endeavor.

View attachment 127753

First the obligatory reference and research. This alone took almost 5 years, the cost is a factor some of these seemed to have been printed with 14k gold ink.

The big picture:View attachment 127756

The full 1:78 kit and 1:16 launch both from Mantua/ Panart. I know there are much better versions being offered now. Caldercrafts which I bought then sold was the cream de le cream and I understand Amati has a 1:64 version in the works due for release in a year or two.
The reason I decided to stick with Panart was I purchased Bob Hunts practicum from lauck street. So a kit bash is in order. He still has support from what I understand so here we go.
Best to all Rich
Hallo Rich , alias @rdluce ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Will be watching your progress since I received my kit yesterday. The instructions are a mess as far as I can tell. The introduction is pretty good, but then it looks like they handed the Italian directions and and Italian/English dictionary to some office worker and said, "Have at it.":)

Thanks for looking in. I’m still battling the “fuzzy” wood planking issue.
I think my only recourse it to replace it all with a more friendly species.
I had poor experience with lime wood on my Golden Hind (hard to form and brittle) I’d like to find what Artesania used on 1st planking such as the older Swift and Independence models. I had good success on those two models.
If anyone has any sources I would like to know.
Will be out of the shipyard for a month or so as work is still pretty demanding.

Hi Rich. I am building the Sergal Victory (also a 1:78). I am stuck with the bowsprit. Would you know or does your instructions show the measurement from the top of the figurehead to the bottom of the bowsprit? I need to cut the bow frame to seat my figurehead and I have no idea how much? I like your approach as a bash kit as it is more fun than just following step by step on some of the better kits.
Cheers
Grant

Hi Rich. I am building the Sergal Victory (also a 1:78). I am stuck with the bowsprit. Would you know or does your instructions show the measurement from the top of the figurehead to the bottom of the bowsprit? I need to cut the bow frame to seat my figurehead and I have no idea how much? I like your approach as a bash kit as it is more fun than just following step by step on some of the better kits.
Cheers
Grant
Hi I'm building the PanArt Bow and Section which is the same scale as your Victory, 1:78, I measured the distance on the full size plans and it is 7mm from the top of the figurehead to the bottom of the bowsprit. The after band around the bowsprit for the forestay is directly above the figurehead. Hope that helps.

Grant: sorry for the late reply. I’m currently working in a remote area with limited internet.
As such I’m far from my workshop and model also.
Should be finished here soon and will get back with you on the figurehead issue ASAP.
Just curious what your thoughts are on the planking timber suapplied?

Good morning (well here in Cape Town). Thanks. My kit was very old and the walnut was dry. I had to prep each plank individually as the edges were very frayed and brittle. I had to sand each with first 800 grit (lightly)then 200 working on the edge of the plank to get them smooth. Even then I had to throw away some as little tag splits which where to large to sand where some planks. I had to be careful as the kit does not give much extra. The walnut has different shades which I actually like when completed. They are very easy to bend and taper etc tho. I liked fitting them.

My only real issue was once I had finished and the humidity here changed from winter to spring I had to redo some sanding and use some filler (which I did not want to do) as the planks expanded and contracted cracks appeared. Still the walnut really comes out beautifully.

Greetings to all.

The big picture:

Best to all Rich
Hallo Rich alias @rdluce
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back