Halcon 1840 1/100 scale

Paulus

Hi all. I am a 51 year old guy who has ALWAYS wabted to start on a ship and finally I have bought my first boat. I recently bought a model from AlliExpress (bought the Halcon 1840 1/100 scale model) and this will be my first time building a ship (I am still waiting for delivery). I I am dedicated to making this work and fully completing the task as best as I can. I would like to ask some help please; what do I need? I have heard of hot rollers and jigs etc. but have no idea what is needed, can someone please advise me? I know that glue, paint and art knives are needed, but what else would I need besides that. Paul

sharpranger

Hello Paul,
Welcome to this beautiful site, you will as you surf the various projects here some of the finest of ship building that i have see yet. Some pictures posted will show you various tools used in making the models including finishing the same. Your local hobby shop in SA will be able to guide also - take your time do your research well there is all kinds of help here believe me. So enjoy the hobby.

Its nice to see one more from the continent of Africa, I am from Kenya.

Best wishes from the Safari Country.

Salaamu Zote, Asante Sana.

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Welcome to SOS Paul, greetings from the cold north, Norway-

Graham

Welcome. Don't worry too much about tools, just make a start with the ones you have and then buy as you go because there is always something else to do if you are waiting for a particular tool to be delivered. To start with you will need some craft knives with different blade types, a heavy duty knife with snap off blade sections, a mat to cut on, a sanding block and varying grades of paper. These alone will get you a long way, so jump in, get started and I hope you will do a build log and keep us posted.

Jimsky

Staff member

I have to agree with @Graham, The beauty of the kits that most of them come with parts pre-fabricated. However, some work would be expected to complete the model. But this shouldn't require major tooling. Hopefully, you will like what you will do, then... you will understand what tools you may need. And BTW, there is no such thing, as enough tools :p

Galley Slave

Welcom Paulus,
Jy sal vind dat die ouens hier heelwat friendelik is en is altyd daar om jou te help.

I do hope my Afrikaans is up to scratch.
May I too extend a warm welcome to the forum.
You will find the folk on this site very helpful should you require assistance.
Just ask, and preferably, show your problem with a picture.
And please do start a build log.
Tony

Last edited:

Jimsky

Staff member

here is my research:

Afrikaans
Spoken language
Description
Afrikaans is a Low Franconia West Germanic language descended from Dutch and spoken mainly in South Africa, Namibia and to a lesser extent, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

Regulated by: Die Taalkommissie
Native speakers: 7.2 million (2016); 10.3 million L2 speakers in South Africa (2002)
The official language in South Africa
Signed forms: Signed Afrikaans
Native to: South Africa, Namibia
Native name: Afrikaans (ɐfriˈkɑːns)
Number of speakers: c.15-23 million

nino

Hi all. I am a 51 year old guy who has ALWAYS wabted to start on a ship and finally I have bought my first boat. I recently bought a model from AlliExpress (bought the Halcon 1840 1/100 scale model) and this will be my first time building a ship (I am still waiting for delivery). I I am dedicated to making this work and fully completing the task as best as I can. I would like to ask some help please; what do I need? I have heard of hot rollers and jigs etc. but have no idea what is needed, can someone please advise me? I know that glue, paint and art knives are needed, but what else would I need besides that. Paul
If this is the "10 to 20 dollar" kit, (mine was $16.50 shipped), then it is most likely the one I have. It is of Chinese manufacture. It is made so that not many tools are needed other than some good clamps, x-acto blades and sand paper. Instructions are poor though. Be careful of the stern as there are parts needed and parts-fit that are not referenced on my instructions. I held off further work on mine as there was too much that was not lining up as I would like. I suspect that was my fault as I did not dry-fit some pieces or clamp as well as I should have. Gun barrels are very poor. They did offer after-market barrels for the kit but I did not buy those as I had some brass ones that looked the right size.
I consider it a worthwhile kit to start with. It was a challenge but I did have fun putting the hull together, although I am not done with planking.

If you picked up the more expensive version then my comments do not apply. That kit has better instructions and I think it came with brass barrels.

Please post you efforts. I would really like to know your thoughts as you build it.

Nino

Last edited: