Halcon 1840 1/100 scale

Hi all. I am a 51 year old guy who has ALWAYS wabted to start on a ship and finally I have bought my first boat. I recently bought a model from AlliExpress (bought the Halcon 1840 1/100 scale model) and this will be my first time building a ship (I am still waiting for delivery). I I am dedicated to making this work and fully completing the task as best as I can. I would like to ask some help please; what do I need? I have heard of hot rollers and jigs etc. but have no idea what is needed, can someone please advise me? I know that glue, paint and art knives are needed, but what else would I need besides that. Paul

Hello Paul,
Welcome to this beautiful site, you will as you surf the various projects here some of the finest of ship building that i have see yet. Some pictures posted will show you various tools used in making the models including finishing the same. Your local hobby shop in SA will be able to guide also - take your time do your research well there is all kinds of help here believe me. So enjoy the hobby.

Its nice to see one more from the continent of Africa, I am from Kenya.

Best wishes from the Safari Country.

Salaamu Zote, Asante Sana.

Welcome. Don't worry too much about tools, just make a start with the ones you have and then buy as you go because there is always something else to do if you are waiting for a particular tool to be delivered. To start with you will need some craft knives with different blade types, a heavy duty knife with snap off blade sections, a mat to cut on, a sanding block and varying grades of paper. These alone will get you a long way, so jump in, get started and I hope you will do a build log and keep us posted.

I have to agree with @Graham, The beauty of the kits that most of them come with parts pre-fabricated. However, some work would be expected to complete the model. But this shouldn't require major tooling. Hopefully, you will like what you will do, then... you will understand what tools you may need. And BTW, there is no such thing, as enough tools :p

Welcom Paulus,
Jy sal vind dat die ouens hier heelwat friendelik is en is altyd daar om jou te help.

I do hope my Afrikaans is up to scratch.
May I too extend a warm welcome to the forum.
You will find the folk on this site very helpful should you require assistance.
Just ask, and preferably, show your problem with a picture.
And please do start a build log.
Tony

Last edited:
here is my research:

Afrikaans
Spoken language
Description
Afrikaans is a Low Franconia West Germanic language descended from Dutch and spoken mainly in South Africa, Namibia and to a lesser extent, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

Regulated by: Die Taalkommissie
Native speakers: 7.2 million (2016); 10.3 million L2 speakers in South Africa (2002)
The official language in South Africa
Signed forms: Signed Afrikaans
Native to: South Africa, Namibia
Native name: Afrikaans (ɐfriˈkɑːns)
Number of speakers: c.15-23 million

Hi all. I am a 51 year old guy who has ALWAYS wabted to start on a ship and finally I have bought my first boat. I recently bought a model from AlliExpress (bought the Halcon 1840 1/100 scale model) and this will be my first time building a ship (I am still waiting for delivery). I I am dedicated to making this work and fully completing the task as best as I can. I would like to ask some help please; what do I need? I have heard of hot rollers and jigs etc. but have no idea what is needed, can someone please advise me? I know that glue, paint and art knives are needed, but what else would I need besides that. Paul

If this is the "10 to 20 dollar" kit, (mine was $16.50 shipped), then it is most likely the one I have. It is of Chinese manufacture. It is made so that not many tools are needed other than some good clamps, x-acto blades and sand paper. Instructions are poor though. Be careful of the stern as there are parts needed and parts-fit that are not referenced on my instructions. I held off further work on mine as there was too much that was not lining up as I would like. I suspect that was my fault as I did not dry-fit some pieces or clamp as well as I should have. Gun barrels are very poor. They did offer after-market barrels for the kit but I did not buy those as I had some brass ones that looked the right size.
I consider it a worthwhile kit to start with. It was a challenge but I did have fun putting the hull together, although I am not done with planking.

If you picked up the more expensive version then my comments do not apply. That kit has better instructions and I think it came with brass barrels.

Please post you efforts. I would really like to know your thoughts as you build it.

Nino

Last edited:
Hi Paulus, I also purchased the same inexpensive Halcon 1840 1:00 Chinese kit for 16 bucks. It is a nice starter kit for the money however the instructions are very poor. I have been able to assemble the hull just fine from the pictures and it came pretty descent. Now I am up to the sails and the masts and I
have absolutely no clue on to how to do it. They don't give you any measurements on any thing. No templates for the the sails either.
I was hoping you could give me some advice. Would be much appreciated. Tnx Bob. badbob167@gmail.com

A copy of my reply t a request on this same topic:

Bob, in spite of the low cost and apparent small parts count, this Chinese "kit" has not turned out to be a beginner type model. Skip the Directions. (Putting the transom on was fun wasn't it? My directions skipped that part). Do a Google search for Halcon sailing ship and you will find some good detailed photos of a completed model. A few photos of these finished models show the ship with sails and show good details on the spars and rigging.

My Go-to for some better "Visual" instructions:

https://new.bestshipmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1-Plan-Schooner-Halcon-1840.jpg

And here for a similar schooner:

http://www.shipmodell.com/imgplan/plan_clipper_schooner_Harvey_1848_Baltimore.jpg

The main site allows you to download the Plans FREE. click on the Free Plans: Tall Ships below or go to shipmodel.com, chose a plan and Click on the Anchorto get the download option ( close the donate pop up to see the download option.) ( Note: I donated)

Free Plans: TALL SHIPS

SHIPMODELL: handcrafted boat and ship models. Ship model plans , history and photo galleries. Ship models of famous ships. Advices how to build. Modelers from Hungary.

www.shipmodell.com
www.shipmodell.com

If you have some books like Campbell's Neophyte Ship Modelers Jackstay, you can get details and descriptions of what, where, and why on rigging. For this model exact Mast and Yard height are tough to figure out without a copy of GOOD instructions.
This HALCON'S a nice model of an armed Baltimore Schooner. It would make a cute Privateer with some better cannon. In my case I need more experience to make a good model of this kit.

My Chinese-made kit of the Halcon was $16.50 with shipping and I've had a bunch of fun with it, so it was worth the cost for the learning experience. However, like you I stopped the build till I figure out more rigging details as to where the lines run to on the deck.
Wish I could help more with exact measurements. Let me know what else you find out.

Nino

Last edited:
Hi Paulus, I also purchased the same inexpensive Halcon 1840 1:00 Chinese kit for 16 bucks. It is a nice starter kit for the money however the instructions are very poor. I have been able to assemble the hull just fine from the pictures and it came pretty descent. Now I am up to the sails and the masts and I
have absolutely no clue on to how to do it. They don't give you any measurements on any thing. No templates for the the sails either.
I was hoping you could give me some advice. Would be much appreciated. Tnx Bob. badbob167@gmail.com
I bought the exact same kit, the $16 Chinese one and I found the very same problems. I have started and have soaked and clamped the bulwarks in place to dry overnight. If anyone has a copy of the mast assembly and the page with the size of the sail's could u please send it to me, it would be much appreciated
petermerrigan66@gmail.com

Back