Halifax Build Log: Lumberyard

Thanks guys, will proceed with cant frame no.10, and fish up installing the cant frames on the other side,,,,then will start fairing the frames, a couple of frames will have to wait until cut off to be pulled to wales and planking,,,,, then will start the stern framing, with more questions. THANKS Don

pictures of stern framing, going to need help on this. Do not know what these parts are for not on my material list. Dry fitted wing transom and stern frame not correct
another picture of wing transom, have made a new piece to fit properly, will show that picture tomorrow.

Attachments

• Webp.net-compress-image (30).jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image (30).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 130
  • Webp.net-compress-image (31).jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image (31).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Webp.net-compress-image (32).jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image (32).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 130
redoing stern framing. Wrong placement of stern frame. New wing transom I think this is correct,,, but need to know where and how the first stern frame goes doe it set on the outside of half frame no. 4 as as to receive planking REALLY NEED HELP ON THIS.Webp.net-compress-image (34).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (33).jpg

"you were asking what these parts were, they are the breasthook here you can see them in place"..here is a close up.Webp_net-compress-image%20(30).jpgbreasthook1.jpgbreasthook 2.jpgfax126.jpg

setting up the stern it is important the wing transom is placed correctly. Actually by setting up the stern frames will automatically set the transom. Just to double check take a measurement from the plans and mark the stern post for the location of the transom. Lets flip the plans upside down like the model.setup 1.jpgsetup 2.jpg

looking back on your log I am impressed you built the frames and framed in the hull. It really looks good.

Models builders would love to build a plank on frame model but many are apprehensive thinking it is far beyond their capabilities.

What do you have to say to them?

I watched you go from a rank beginner to building impressive plank on frame models.

dave

there are added timbers at the stern where it meets with the side of the hull. notice the filler block along the outer side of the end stern frame tinted brown, this block finished the stern shape to match up with the shape of the hull. The yellow tinted timber is the last stern frame and the red tinted timber you can also see on the inside view.
Here is the stern looking from the inside.end timber 1.jpgend timber 2.jpg

The best advice that I can give is to start slow, THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISMENT BUT WHAT I DID, THE CAUSTIC POF MODEEL AS WELL AS THE VIDEOS AND QUESTIONS ASKED IS HOW I WENT, A JIG IS IMPERATIVE FOR ME ANY POF SEMI KIT THAHT DOES NOT INCLUDE A JIG IS A NO NO, I still have the Genl. Washington all frames made but imposible for me to complete NO JIG for one thing, understanable instructions as well as plans are indespensible, again as in any build KNOW YOUR CAPABILITIES AND GO FROM THERE IF I DID NOT DO THE CAUSTIC, I COULD NOT DO THE HALIFAX. THANKS DAVE........PS it seems like I have to make another wing transome am I corect

Showing 2 methods of making the wing transome I think the shorter one is correct, but will use 2nd one to shape it correctly, the stern frames are not correct do not know what to do with them whether to remake or what I am doing wrong,,,,,will now finish up the faring and marking the wale and cut off marks on the framesWebp.net-compress-image (42).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (44).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (44).jpg

in the first photo the wing transom is to long. The next photos show the correct length. That last stern frame is an over sized blank remember you have to shape the hull so you will be removing a lot of material when you sand in the bevel on that back surface of the frame. Your looking at the blue edge of the frame and once you sand the hull that yellow area will be sanded away back to the red edge. "Something like this"bevel34.jpgbevel35.jpg

once you sand in the bevel the edge of that last frame will be around where the blue line is

Attachments

• bevel line.jpg
    bevel line.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 110
Dave what about the placement of the stern framing mine is not right to short by 3/4 in, do i make longer frames or leave it as it is, THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP. Don

Back