Halve Maen (Half Moon), 1608 - Dutch VOC Vlieboot - Corel - 1:50 - Double-plank-on-bulkhead

Quick question of advice for folks from a noob -- I'm kind of unhappy with the inconsistency of the walnut planking here. Would it be worthwhile to hit the upper hull planking with a dark walnut stain to get the coloration a bit more consistent, or will the underlying color of the wood make the stained version just as inconsistent?
I would test it on a small piece first, the structure of the wood could also have an impact on the staining, porous spots will take more stain.
Pick two pieces of walnut, a dark and a light one, stain both of them and see what the result is.

Hello Eric. You are making excellent progress quickly. I agree with Maarten - test first before committing to the ship.

It's been a pretty busy week, so not much time for the shipyard, and I am waiting on some wood to finish planking the lower hull. Since I don't want to do any upper rail detail when I'll be turning her upside down again to plank, I'm focussing on removable deck pieces.
I managed to get the ladders and the hatches assembled and shaped. I've taken to rounding the edges of the hatch frames which I quite like. Not sure how accurate that would be though, especially in a ship from 1608. Thoughts?

20200702_132244.jpg

The bare upper curve at the quarterdeck bulwark is meant to take another extension of the light color (beech) railing This extends above the weather deck gunwale all the way to the fo'csle, with stanchions holding it higher. However the height of this seems odd to me, so I may leave the gunwale rail as it is. and just cover the short upper curve with beech. Wishing I had drawings with actual dimensions for this.

Last edited:
Hi Eric. The ladders and gratings look great. Thumbs-Up I would recommend playing the railings by ear and see how things progress.

Built up the ram and the bow decorations (don't know the name of these???) this weekend. These were all pieces of plywood that had to be laminated with walnut and decorative wood. Really not crazy about this process, since it required trimming the edges also which doesn't strike me as very accurate, but it is a kit...Wouldn't the ram actually be solid pieces or timber? May a couple pieces bolted together?
I'm also not sure how these decorative pieces are supposed to actually attach yet either and the instructions don't seem to give much direction on that score.

20200704_150704.jpg
20200705_122001.jpg
20200704_150639.jpg

Hi Eric. The "ram" is called the beakhead and in Dutch, "galjoen". The inspector is Mexican?:confused:

Hi Eric. The "ram" is called the beakhead and in Dutch, "galjoen". The inspector is Mexican?:confused:

@Heinrich , Ha...not Mexican, but he does kinda have a Pancho Villa look to him, doesn't he? Just a random Rennaissance photo I pulled.
Do you have a name for the decorative panels that angle up alongside the beakhead? I get the sense that the whole structure is what is being referred to as the beakhead, e.g., even your luizenplecht translates as "beakhead"

@janos I couldn't agree more. Luckily on the Kolderstok models - even though the construction process requires more swearing than anything else - it is NOT The case!

Guess it's been a while since we updated, but I have learned at least one thing. Laminating plywood stern-post, keel, stem-posts is not my favorite technique. Short of a solid piece of wood here though, I think they're decent. I'm seeing more and more reason for scratch building every day.
20200725_135612.jpg20200725_134904.jpg

And a bit more of the decorative wood arrived to complete the stern.

20200725_135213.jpg

And the decorative beakhead panels are officially mounted. A quite tricky curve to the toprail took a few attempts to get that in position with the rails secured just right.

20200725_135131.jpg20200725_134917.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to complete the rudder, but that was pretty much the whole day. Again this was walnut lamination of a piece of plywood, just like the keel, stempost and sternpost. Not my favorite!

20200729_132421.jpg20200729_132229.jpgg.

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

I just became member of this forum few days ago. I am very interested in your sos log because I started building this kit a few weeks ago. Just finished outer planking. I will follow youre blog with great interrest.
I visited the replica of Halve Maen in Rotterdam a few weeks ago.

regards

René

Last edited:
Back