Hayling Hoy of 1759

Now that I finished CAF's La Belle (might post last few pictures in that build log), I have decided to tackle a POF model from scratch. The subject I've chosen is Hayling Hoy of 1759 by David Antscherl. Why? Because "This model is aimed at the first time scratch builder (me) or for the experienced modeler (not me) who is looking for a small project in-between major builds." Book is wonderful as are the plans. More info can be found at https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=118001

Beautiful Castello boxwood and Black Hornbeam have been provided by our friend Sergey. I can't describe what a superb quality it is. Building board has been built and I've already made some dust - keel and stempost. It's all dry fit at the moment. Here we go:

IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG
What's next? Our nemesis - Mr rabbet. I'm inclined to mill it into individual pieces before final assembly. We'll see.

Surely Gennaro a great Challenge, but for I can see you have made a good job with keel and stempost, I'll be coming soon

Ho Ho - I am looking forward follwing your scratch build - good luck and a lot of fun
BTW: with the high quality timber from @bibigon and this good drawing set - this has to be a lot of fun !!!

I really like this ship, and my curiosity is piqued in terms of its relative difficulty as a first-time build. David is so highly scrupulous in his thought and research that I am confident there won’t be nasty surprises or contradictions in the plan-sets. I’ll be watching with great interest as I mull over what my first POF build should eventually be. I really like the path you have taken, with the high quality Belle POF kit, and now onto this build. I know you will make a fabulous job of it, Gennaro.

Now that I finished CAF's La Belle (might post last few pictures in that build log), I have decided to tackle a POF model from scratch. The subject I've chosen is Hayling Hoy of 1759 by David Antscherl. Why? Because "This model is aimed at the first time scratch builder (me) or for the experienced modeler (not me) who is looking for a small project in-between major builds." Book is wonderful as are the plans. More info can be found at https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=118001

Beautiful Castello boxwood and Black Hornbeam have been provided by our friend Sergey. I can't describe what a superb quality it is. Building board has been built and I've already made some dust - keel and stempost. It's all dry fit at the moment. Here we go:

View attachment 253822
View attachment 253823
What's next? Our nemesis - Mr rabbet. I'm inclined to mill it into individual pieces before final assembly. We'll see.
I will order this today if you tell me that the drawing are to scale and full size? This will be my first build

I will order this today if you tell me that the drawing are to scale and full size? This will be my first build
The book comes with three sheets of plans. All drawings are presented at 1:48 scale, except the standing and running rigging and belaying plans, which are at 1:96 scale. Pictures below are of awful quality, but it will give you an idea what to expect.

Plan sheet 1 contains profile, deck plan, sheer plan, building board plan, cross-section and various timber patterns.

IMG_0425.JPG

Plan sheet 2 contains all spar plans, standing and running rigging plans and belaying plan.

IMG_0424.JPG

Plan sheet 3 contains complete lofted frame drawings, transoms, hawse pieces and elevations of bow and stern cant framing.

IMG_0426.JPG

You lucky man!
Black horn bean + Castello boxNot easy to source in US and comes from Paraguay.
Spill the beans : were you get? How much?
branches or slab? Should be velvet / interlocking texture and details well.
Should be rot resistant and last - air-loom to pass down!

You lucky man!
Black horn bean + Castello boxNot easy to source in US and comes from Paraguay.
Spill the beans : were you get? How much?
branches or slab? Should be velvet / interlocking texture and details well.
Should be rot resistant and last - air-loom to pass down!
Lucky I am indeed to be a member of this wonderful forum. That't where I found imho the best source of wood for ship modelling among many other things. Our member Sergey ( @bibigon ) provided the wood. Price - e.g 16" x 2" x 1/4" sheet of box was $6.05 - unbeatable price. Customer service can't be better. It took only 3 weeks from placing the order to receiving the package in Canada (shipped from Russia).

Back