Hello from Portsmouth, UK

I'm a retiree working as a marine artist, scale shipbuilder and knife maker. Living in Portsmouth I have access to Victory, Warrior and the Historic Dockyard. Much of my work is in collaboration with Peter Goodwin, previous curator of HMS Victory, who's knowledge of history and ship structure seem bottomless. My projects would take twice as long without his enthusiastic assistance. My build preferences are smaller, shapely vessels such as revenue cutters, luggers and brigs. I use Greenwich drafts with my own drawings as a guide.

Thank you everyone. I desperately need to free up time to build. Currently, I have the revenue cutter Diligence at 1:44 ready to plank, Agamemnon to restore and a commission for the Oseburg!! (Not yet begun to plan how!) At the moment the painting is bringing the money, last commission attached (from the original Thomas Somerscales "Off Valparaiso") Looking forward to this forum, I hope I can learn and contribute.

WP_20181213_002.jpg

In my short membership not only have I benefited but I've also changed my approach to my future modeling. I've been occupied with structure and building as though I was in a shipyard. At heart I'm really an artist. I think that the technical approach is catered for, better than I, by the craftsmen we are privileged to know. I want to try to put in feeling and drama (wish me luck!) In Portsmouth dockyard there are some beautiful dioramas, one of a slaver throwing the 'cargo' overboard (beautiful isn't the correct word here) but it's a memorable work, all tell a story. Might take a while! I hope to submit something soon.

In my short membership not only have I benefited but I've also changed my approach to my future modeling. I've been occupied with structure and building as though I was in a shipyard. At heart I'm really an artist. I think that the technical approach is catered for, better than I, by the craftsmen we are privileged to know. I want to try to put in feeling and drama (wish me luck!) In Portsmouth dockyard there are some beautiful dioramas, one of a slaver throwing the 'cargo' overboard (beautiful isn't the correct word here) but it's a memorable work, all tell a story. Might take a while! I hope to submit something soon.
Sound very interesting - I am looking forward

I'm a retiree working as a marine artist, scale shipbuilder and knife maker. Living in Portsmouth I have access to Victory, Warrior and the Historic Dockyard. Much of my work is in collaboration with Peter Goodwin, previous curator of HMS Victory, who's knowledge of history and ship structure seem bottomless. My projects would take twice as long without his enthusiastic assistance. My build preferences are smaller, shapely vessels such as revenue cutters, luggers and brigs. I use Greenwich drafts with my own drawings as a guide.
Hallo Bob,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Back