Hello from Wiltshire UK.

I joined the group a while ago and have been looking at the way things are done. I would love to scratch build a model of HMS Agamemnon 1781, 1:64 scale, my wife's ancestral grandfather is Henry Adams of Bucklers Hard, Hampshire he built many ships that were at Trafalgar, and I would love to build this ship for her. I know it will be a hard build as I have never built a ship before, but if I don't try I will never know.
The first thing I have to learn is to build the Keel and frame.
I am 63 and will have plenty of time in the near future.
Any help or advice would be a great help.
Thank you
Michael

that looks like an impressive ship to build and way beyond my skills. The caldercraft kit looks good but it's a hell of a price.

Very impressive ship. Can't afford to purchase the kit so would like to try to build from scratch.

I joined the group a while ago and have been looking at the way things are done. I would love to scratch build a model of HMS Agamemnon 1781, 1:64 scale, my wife's ancestral grandfather is Henry Adams of Bucklers Hard, Hampshire he built many ships that were at Trafalgar, and I would love to build this ship for her. I know it will be a hard build as I have never built a ship before, but if I don't try I will never know.
Thank you
Michael
Hallo Michael,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
You have a big challenge in front of you - but with crossing the fingers and the help of friends (in the forum) it can hopefully work.
Especially the Agamemnon with it 64 guns is not really a small model, especially when you never built a ship model before.
Would it not be better to first learn the construction methods on a small ship, to get the principles and to understand, and afterwards to jump into this big project?
Scratch building sounds cheap, but you will need some power tools (or it is making it easier if you have them), or you have to buy step by step also the gun barrels, blocks etc.
Also important is how much modeling experience you have in principle (plastic etc.) and which tools you have already in your workshop - so a lot of preparations will be necessary....
Did you already decide, if you want to make her Plank on frames or Plank on Bulkhead? Because the first step and challenge will be the hull.
Only some thoughts........

BTW: I made once a kit review of the Jotika / Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon

Hi Michael,
Cardiff here. I like the same style of ship and can't afford much so I started a covid build of an 74 of the Prince class. Working on the same principles as a Napoleonic prisoner of war, incarcerated and little money, and so I set out to challenge myself to see how little I could spend.
I acquired some Harold A Underhill plans way back in the 70s and have been threatening to build ever since. I only have a little experience of model making and only very basic tools.
I am rather pleased with the progress and results. I confess to cheating with the guns - I bought the barrels as there was no way I could produce them at home - and the dead eyes - because life is too short lol.
It's not finished yet.
The biggest problem of all - where on earth to put it in a small cottage!!
Have fun
Steve
21.JPG

Hi Michael,
Cardiff here. I like the same style of ship and can't afford much so I started a covid build of an 74 of the Prince class. Working on the same principles as a Napoleonic prisoner of war, incarcerated and little money, and so I set out to challenge myself to see how little I could spend.
I acquired some Harold A Underhill plans way back in the 70s and have been threatening to build ever since. I only have a little experience of model making and only very basic tools.
I am rather pleased with the progress and results. I confess to cheating with the guns - I bought the barrels as there was no way I could produce them at home - and the dead eyes - because life is too short lol.
It's not finished yet.
The biggest problem of all - where on earth to put it in a small cottage!!
Have fun
Steve
View attachment 191824
Wow it looks great so far, looking forward to see it finished . I know I might be a little out of my depth, but I am willing to learn. I have purchased some books on naval ships and the way they are built. Over the past few years I have purchased a scrollsaw to add to my collection of wood tools as I love working with wood. I am getting a small lathe from an old friend in the next few weeks. The hard part is the plans, I have contacted a few companies to see if they will sell me just the plans, waiting hopefully for an answer.
Thanks for the contact
Michael

Hallo Michael,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
You have a big challenge in front of you - but with crossing the fingers and the help of friends (in the forum) it can hopefully work.
Especially the Agamemnon with it 64 guns is not really a small model, especially when you never built a ship model before.
Would it not be better to first learn the construction methods on a small ship, to get the principles and to understand, and afterwards to jump into this big project?
Scratch building sounds cheap, but you will need some power tools (or it is making it easier if you have them), or you have to buy step by step also the gun barrels, blocks etc.
Also important is how much modeling experience you have in principle (plastic etc.) and which tools you have already in your workshop - so a lot of preparations will be necessary....
Did you already decide, if you want to make her Plank on frames or Plank on Bulkhead? Because the first step and challenge will be the hull.
Only some thoughts........

BTW: I made once a kit review of the Jotika / Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon
Hi. I have purchased a few books on naval ships and the way they are built. Over the past few years I have purchased a scrollsaw and to add to my collection of tools. I am getting a small lathe from an old friend in the next few weeks. I know I might be a little out of my depth, but I am willing to learn. The hard part is the plans, I have contacted a few companies to see if they will sell me just the plans, waiting hopefully for an answer.
Best Wishes
Michael

The plans I am using are pure works of art. There is so much detail but it is like doing a jigsaw puzzle on 10 big sheets of paper. Some information is on one and the next bit is three pages over and hidden in a corner lol.
Be warned, it is not like doing a kit in any way shape or form. There are no instructions with the plans to tell you which bit goes where and in what order. Some parts of the ship have been built more than once and as I have gone along things like pulley blocks have become quite acceptable to the point where the early ones may be replaced at some stage - if I can get at them! On the other hand I may leave them as a reminder of the early struggles.
I'm not being too pedantic over accuracy either. If it looks right it probably is and I am the captain after all!
It has been a God send over these last months taking my mind away from isolation, worry and all the other trials of this pandemic. I still feel mostly sane!
A final warning - tell your wife what you are up to. It is soooo very easy to say I'll be back in half an hour - I just need to glue some bits ..... 3 hours later you are still glueing and time has no meaning!!
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS have a rummage around Pinterest on the interweb thingy. There are some really good examples including Argamemnon.

Thank you
Michael
Hi Michael
I don't think the purists would like this suggestion but how about buying a cheaper kit for a frigate and adding extra decks?
Eg the Occre NS Mercedes. The rig would be similar and the kit includes all the rigging thread, dead-eyes, blocks, dowels, planking,
deck fittings, one deck's worth of gunports, cannons and more. You could supplement this with extra guns etc.
Have a prowl round the Cornwall Model Boats website.

PS have a rummage around Pinterest on the interweb thingy. There are some really good examples including Argamemnon.

Sounds great the way you are working it out. When I get the plans I want I will give it a bash.
The wife has already said, where are we going to put it? Ha Ha.
I will give you a shout if I get stuck. Thanks.
Chat again soon.
Michael

I admire your willingness to build this ship from scratch, but to save you from a lot of time and energy, have you thought about just buying the kit ?

Thank you
Michael
Hallo Michael alias @suppersapper
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back