Help - Building frames for ship built from plans

Nice to hear from you to sir. I have a couple of question. Is there a reason that Don is leaving so much extra wood on his pieces? The other question is do you think Don is worried about the bevels of the frames? I don't think he needs lines on both side which is a pain in the butt and if you do get lines on both sides and one side or the other is off by a cm or two could cause one not to have a enough wood for a nice taper. Can you just cut the pieces of the frame out to within 1/16 to 1/32 of the outside line? Then you should be able to get the parts more accuratly placed. Also you can use the joint of the first futtocks for a center line allowing you to cut the notched out for the keel. Basically just tape down a template of the frame, rubber cement the two first futtocks to the frame template with wood glue in the joint to hold them together and then add the rest of the pieces to them. Then set a piece of wood on top and set a weight on top of that to keep the blank flat with a piece of wax paper between the frame blank and the piece of wood. After that you just glue the other half in place apply weight. Just a ideally sir. Let me know if there is any thing that I can do. Some thing else if you make both parts of the pieces the same width which includes the amount of wood for the front and back bevel's. of course you know most of this and forgive me for bringing them up.
Gary

Back