Here’s a question for all of the multiple ship builders

MY ENJOYMENT AT THIS STAGE IS THE ENJOYMENT OF THE PROCESS RATHER THEN THE COMPLETION AS I ONCE DID. I KEEP A COUPLE OF MY BETTER BUILDS I HAVE MANY FAMILY MEMBERS THAT I GIVE THEM TO MY SOLUTION FOR DISPLAY ISNCHEAP QUICK AND SERVES VERY WELL JUST AN AQURIUM FROM PETCO UPSIDE DOWN MAKE IT FANCY BY ADDING BOTTOM LAYER OF EXOTIC WOODS FOR NORMAL SIZE A 20 GAL. COST $10.00 ENJOY ALL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Well, I am getting the "evil stink eye" from my wife. I have just about filled up a bookcase in my home office. I have a spare bedroom filled with a model railroad that contains 4 or 5 vessels. Plus 2 on shelves above the railroad. I am concerned I won't have space for many more. I am planning to offer some to some friends...
Pete

I'm lucky to have a wife who is an accomplished knitter. She's made dozens of shawls and ponchos, etc. One (if one were brave) could ask "why are you making another one of those". I know the answer of course. Each has a unique pattern, colorway, technique of construction, etc. For her, like us, it's as much the joy of the process as the possession of the final item. And she has a stash of future stuff that would put most of ours to shame, so I think I'm pretty immune to judgment. :)

I've got a similar problem with card models that I've built over the years. I'm pretty much done having them, but hate to throw them into the bin as they took time. But that day is coming as I want to make room for this new obsession.

I love building boats and I have a great time, but it is true that it causes a space problem, so I started giving them to family members and when these ran out, I started giving them to friends, going to see the boats from time to time. From time to time it gives me an excuse to visit them and have some free beers at the same time.

Me encanta construir barcos y lo paso muy bien, pero o cierto es que causa un problema de espacio, por lo tanto empecé a regalar a los familiares y cuando estos se acabaron, empecé a regalarlos a los amigos, ir a ver los barcos de vez en cuando me facilita una escusa para visitarles y así de paso tomar unas cervezas gratis

After you built more then one ship, what do you do with them? Do you have a display room in your home? Do you sell them? My wife is already questioning me on why i’m building my third ship. Once it gets in your blood, stopping is a hard thing to do.
I have 3 scattered around the house. 2 in the shipyard currently. When they are done I will have to part with a couple. I am thinking of giving them to family if they want them. I also have a couple of neighborhood groups I belong too that may be offered one. We all know you don’t do this to make money. They are hard to part with so I hope it is a while before I have to make that decision.

My wife told me long ago that I’m free to build as many as I want but that she would not be dusting them for fear of damaging them. So some have gone to new homes and others have been placed in a display cabinet I built. I figure it will hold about 6 completed models if I live that long…
IMG_7963.jpeg

I have 4 models at my house.
In de last fase of building I decide to keep or sell.
When I keep the most recent, one of the others are sold.

A flippant reply would be to buy a second home. In my case most of my navy is tucked away in our cabin, however for the last decade or so that’s also been “fully furnished” with my output. My current solution is to give them to my friends, all of whom have been really appreciative. I also get satisfaction from visiting them occasionally, dusting them, and carrying out minor repairs as I don’t generally provide a case due to cost.

As I’m building a model I get additional pleasure from thinking about the person who will be receiving the model on its completion and how they will react. Now all I need is to take time off from my building to make a few more friends.

I'm lucky to have a wife who is an accomplished knitter. She's made dozens of shawls and ponchos, etc. One (if one were brave) could ask "why are you making another one of those". I know the answer of course. Each has a unique pattern, colorway, technique of construction, etc. For her, like us, it's as much the joy of the process as the possession of the final item. And she has a stash of future stuff that would put most of ours to shame, so I think I'm pretty immune to judgment. :)

I've got a similar problem with card models that I've built over the years. I'm pretty much done having them, but hate to throw them into the bin as they took time. But that day is coming as I want to make room for this new obsession.
I can relate to your wife and her knitting. The rest sounds fairly analogous. We have an overflow of scarves which go to the homeless or those in need every Christmas season. Unfortunately, model ships won't keep you warm. Family members and friends want some and have taken a lot. My house is overflowing with ships and art which proliferate like tumors. I've sold a bunch through a gallery in Annapolis. But my compulsion to create is uncontrollable and insatiable. Soon we'll have to downsize. As for the rest, God only knows.:oops: I guess I'll just have to jump off that bridge when I get to it! :rolleyes:

Pete

Reactions: rek

My wife doesn’t knit but she is an avid crochet-er. Like yours, she always has a project going that interests her be it hats, scarves or afghans. She builds up a supply and when the pile get big enough she donates her efforts to the local women’s “Live Violence Free” shelter.

I have shelves in my room with 13 ships, & have room for one more large model. My brother-in-law has one on a shelf in his room, & I have given any of my family a ship at their request, or my prodding! haha These are all plastic models, but I'm proud of every one of them, & my family is, too. Next up, the BIG GIVEAWAY. My local VFW & American Legion will take anything I build, as they have plenty of display room They LOVE sailing ships!
Rick1011

Back