HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Oh no, another interpretation. I'm sure you will have an answer in the morning. Who is wrong, who is right, who knows, it was few hundred years ago. Just saying.......
Jan I am so sorry that I missed your posting! Apologies! Yes, no one knows how it was done, therefore logic dictates this part of the build now. It could not have been that crowded at the stern of the ship - even in scale there is physically no room for anyone to move, let alone operate anything. Therefore logic dictates that it has to be changed.

When sleep escapes you, the best ideas pop up... Sometimes...

I think that your proposed lay-out makes sense, in fact it appears to be the most logical option.
One thing on storing the boats; would it be possible to store the smaller boat off centre, or would the relocated windlass prevent that?
Eating humble pie? Don't know about that, you researched and evaluated all available options, within your current constraints and this is the result of that journey.
One other thing, and I don't really want to question all the research other people did, but how certain are we about a) the dimensions of the WB, b) the equipment on board and b) the exact arrangement of all equipment of the WB? I have this gnawing feeling that you are dealing with just to many contradicting variables.
That layout makes more sense Johan - how doable it will be on my specific model remains to be seen though. As far as the storage of the boats go - that was exactly what I was thinking - go off-center. In any case, if both boats were stored on deck, they would have been most certainly off-center.

There are a host of factors that were used to determine the size (too many no name now), plus the discovery of a part of the stem of the ship that now resides in a museum in Moscow. Those factors were used to determine the size and seeing that size has never been a bone of contention, it seems that most researchers accept it and are happy with it. It is a fascinating topic though and in a later posting I will list the factors used to determine the size - as soon as the braadspil/windlass is laid to rest.

I think Johan ha a real valid point. I know for me having too many choices is a curse. Like trying to pick out wall paper with the Admiral, just impossible.
Thank you Daniel. I hate many options, but if the chosen route is clearly not practical then we have to change it. I don't want someone to look at the model one day and comment om on the impossibility of operating the windlass and me not really having any means to counter the argument.

Yep, another interpretation... I find this fascinating; people from literally around the world are trying to understand how on earth they did that. With all our knowledge and experience we come up empty handed. And in the end of the day, AL-FI put aside, we come up with something how it could have been,
Personally - and this is just me (I will probably get shot for this) - I don't subscribe to AL-FI. I work with facts and when the facts are not available, the next best thing is logic. No easy way out on this ship for me, only the "right" way.

I think the small boat is the obvious choice, if you put a boat on the ship at all. You could opt to have the larger boat being pulled behind the ship, thus freeing up deck space for the winch. Just a few options to consider. ;)
Thank you for the input Dean. The smaller boat would certainly be the logical choice. The only reason why I wanted the larger boat on the deck, is because I should a lot more detail. So far the practice boat (the larger one) is coming together very nicely - touch wood! ;)

Hello Dear Friends

Last night I mentioned that I want to share something interesting with you - well, in actual fact there are two pieces of interesting news I have found. So let's start with the non-controversial one! :)

Maybe you have wondered, why the Willem Barentsz does not feature permanent decking on the structures midships and at the bow, but instead a net-like cover of lengthwise and crosswise wooden beams (see below as indicated by the yellow arrows).

View attachment 302809

In my continuing research, I came upon this very interesting piece of information. As you know, I recently completed the Willem Barentsz’s front canopy (“overkapping” in Dutch). Reading about the overkapping and its history revealed that it was originally called a “vinkennet” (finch netting).

Now firstly we have to look at terminology. Both names for these structures contain the word "opbouw" - meaning a built-up structure. The one midships was simply called as "opbouw" and the one at the stem a "vooropbouw" or "overkapping". "Vooropbouw" simply means a raised structure at the front of the ship. Now originally, these structures were called a "vinkennet" or finch net.

View attachment 302810

This image clearly shows the finch net. Originally, it was net of sturdy rope or chains that stretched between the forecastle and the deck behind it. - Source: Jan Zwart (Modelbouwforum)

View attachment 302811

Source: Jan Zwart - Modelbouwforum

The term finch-net gradually evolved into “boevennet” (crooks’ net), before it was corrupted into “bovenet” / bovennet” meaning (top net). This part is important as all terminology to the Willem Barentsz relates to boevenet (top net) as used by Ab Hoving.

Het Schip van Willem Barents - Ab Hoving

In his book, De vlootbouw in Nederland 1596-1655 weergeeft, (Shipbuilding in the Netherlands 1596-1655), Elias writes that at the beginning of the Eighty-Year War numerous Vlieboten and jachten were utilized by the Netherlands. In order to offer these vessels better protection against the much higher, built-up Spanish ships, they were equipped with a lattice- and chain framework that stretched between the forecastle and the deck behind it. The logic behind this was to offer protection to the crew during boarding raids from the enemy. During those days, victory at sea relied heavily on a successful boarding of the enemy; it was only much later that long-range cannon-fire became the decisive factor.

In the painting below by Aert Antonisz of “De Slag by Sluis” (The Battle at Sluis) a ship with boevenet is depicted.

View attachment 302812

The following drawing though, offers a much better visual example (if somewhat grained).

View attachment 302813

Nicolaes Witsen discusses the boevenet extensively, devoting a whole chapter to it, the drawing of the rafters and an explanation how it was built. Interestingly, he mentioned that the boevenet could be removed, resulting in an open canopy. This, however does raise the question why the vooropbouw then has front and rear “walls”.

So why is this important? If we examine the early jachten (of which the WB was one), and take into account that De Veer spoke of boevenetten it becomes clear that the WB was equipped with two in actual fact – one in the form of a half-deck midships and one in the form of the vooronder at the stem. These structures were not permanently closed with decking, but featured the wooden “netting” as seen on the WB as permanent replacements for the earlier finch nets..

And that is how we know why the Willem Barentsz looks the way she does! :D

Hopefully, I will be back a little later with a galleon update! the galleon looks very nice Heinrich
I the galleon looks beautiful Heinrich

Heinrich, you log is really entertaining and has got a lot of people scratching their heads, fantastic! I totally agree with your sentiments of accuracy and logic and with this in mind if the larger boat, by all known dimensions, is too long to fit on deck then, difficult as it may have been to do, it must have been towed. Mind you if I put myself in their place I would have the utility of the small boat on deck and a larger one in pre-fab bits in the hold. But what do I know? Brilliant keep the argument going and build, as I suspect you have always intended, only what you feel is right. Hope you are keeping well and stay so. JJ

Heinrich, you log is really entertaining and has got a lot of people scratching their heads, fantastic! I totally agree with your sentiments of accuracy and logic and with this in mind if the larger boat, by all known dimensions, is too long to fit on deck then, difficult as it may have been to do, it must have been towed. Mind you if I put myself in their place I would have the utility of the small boat on deck and a larger one in pre-fab bits in the hold. But what do I know? Brilliant keep the argument going and build, as I suspect you have always intended, only what you feel is right. Hope you are keeping well and stay so. JJ
Jack I love your comment - thank you! I am very blessed with the wonderful participation I get from all my friends on this log. In many ways I see this as a think tank and a group build. The amazing thing is that every opinion is valuable and counts towards adding information to the total research data of the ship - such is the caliber of the comments.

We do know that for certain parts of the journey, the larger boat was towed (Ab reckons it was towed all the time), but there is also a strong argument to bed made that it was stored on-deck when the crew started encountering the pack ice.

afb.willem-barents5.jpg

The boats being towed. The rounded stern would indicate that these were the "boats" (the larger ones).

03.jpg

But here ... when they encountered icy seas with the discovery of Bear Island, the towed boats are missing.

06.jpg

Lying at anchor, we see both the sloops and boats out on the water - in fact this painting accounts for the full complement of lifeboats of the two ships.

But ... I know if I look long enough, a solution will become prevalent!

Not that you need another opinion… but looking at the last painting it appears the forward covered area and the foremast are quite close to one another. That is, no room for much of anything unless it can be tucked slightly under the canopy.

And in a rare moment - I think I agree with Dean :confused:. While the larger boat might have been brought on the ship when things got dicey it was not normal and would have been viewed as an inconvenience to the sailors. My solution: make a better small boat :D and display it proudly!

Good morning Heinrich- wow super debate and tons of opinions and ideas- no wonder sleep did not find you. I remember my first FS board meeting where discussion flowed a plenty- being wet behind the ears I decided to keep quiet and listen to the guys who know....same here;). Brilliant read tho and beautiful WB Heinrich- I also know the answer will be found. Cheers Grant

Personally - and this is just me (I will probably get shot for this) - I don't subscribe to AL-FI. I work with facts and when the facts are not available, the next best thing is logic. No easy way out on this ship for me, only the "right" way.
You're right, you just painted a nice beautiful target... ;)
Whether you like it or not, we all fall victim to at least the FI bit of AL-FI; free interpretation. It's semantics, I know, but still. Like you now encounter with your build of the WB/WS, too many limitations, too many variables, too many unknowns, so you're falling back to your logic. Your logic is build up from (building) experience, research, discussions with others, personal experience with, in this case, sailing, just to name a few. I dare argue that written accounts of eye witnesses show one perspective and one perspective only; the focal point of one's account depend heavily on whether you are the ship's doctor, the common sailor or the captian, in other words those written accounts are not absolute. That also applies to the paintings we often rely on, they are at best snapshots, which, depending on the knowledgeability of the artist, show us a more or less reliable picture.
So based on the level of your personal knowledge of the subject, you may come up with a / the most plausible interpretation of your build. This is best demonstrated with your struggles on the location of the windlass; that moved from fwd of the canopy to underneath the canopy and now aft of the canopy...

I thoroughly enjoy your log, so many insights and history lessons, brilliant!

PS Even available construction drawings may steer you wrong; I know from past experience that what was build did not necessarily match the blueprints...

Last edited:
Not that you need another opinion… but looking at the last painting it appears the forward covered area and the foremast are quite close to one another. That is, no room for much of anything unless it can be tucked slightly under the canopy.

And in a rare moment - I think I agree with Dean :confused:. While the larger boat might have been brought on the ship when things got dicey it was not normal and would have been viewed as an inconvenience to the sailors. My solution: make a better small boat :D and display it proudly!
Dear Paul. I need all the opinions I can get get. :) I just taught a class on Big Data and the value of that lies in the very fact that it is a lot of data. The more opinions I get, the clearer the picture becomes. Your observation about the area between the canopy and foremast being extremely limited is spot on and that is precisely why the windlass there just does not sound right to me. As it stands now, I already have to fit a belaying rack, knight's head, the foremast and bowsprit in that area. About these four items there can be no doubt as to their location and whilst I have proven that I can FIT the windlass there, it is impossible to be operational in any way that it would have been.

As to the boats - I will no doubt try my hand at another attempt on the small one, but I have still not ruled out an occasional stowing of the larger boat on deck. We will see how it all pans out.

Good morning Heinrich- wow super debate and tons of opinions and ideas- no wonder sleep did not find you. I remember my first FS board meeting where discussion flowed a plenty- being wet behind the ears I decided to keep quiet and listen to the guys who know....same here;). Brilliant read tho and beautiful WB Heinrich- I also know the answer will be found. Cheers Grant
Grant I am so privileged to have such a debate and as I mentioned earlier to Jack, the quality of the contributions is simply outstanding. And for sure I listen to the opinion of others and value it greatly - my latest demolition a case in point. A solution will be found - until such a time I will not rest. :)

You're right, you just painted a nice beautiful target... ;)
Whether you like it or not, we all fall victim to at least the FI bit of AL-FI; free interpretation. It's semantics, I know, but still. Like you now encounter with your build of the WB/WS, too may variables, too many unknowns, you're falling back to your logic. Your logic is build up from building experience, research, discussions with others, personal experience with, in this case, sailing, just to name a few. I even dare argue that written accounts of eye witnesses show only one perspective and one perspective only; the focal point of one's accounts depend heavily on whether you are the ship's doctor, the common sailor or the captian. That also applies to the paintings we often rely on, they are at best snapshots with, depending on the knowledgeability of the artist, show us a more or less reliable picture
Another great posting Johan in which you raise so many good points. When you type things while stripping parts at five in the morning, even an English teacher's language can become muddled. ROTF What I meant by AL-FI is when it is used for the sake of aesthetic purposes only. Even though here are unknowns, there are only two possibilities about the windlass - forward of the front canopy or underneath it. Whilst both have their advocates, I have now proven that on my model, one option is no longer an option. If that part of the process forms the FI in AL-FI, then I subscribe to that.

Secondly, your observation about the different perspectives of the same picture is a stunner! Thumbsup I agree wholeheartedly and I am guilty of that. I am guilty of only consulting the perspective of one of the authors of the book "Het Schip van Barents" and I have too long not given the other one his due.

There are a host of factors that were used to determine the size (too many no name now), plus the discovery of a part of the stem of the ship that now resides in a museum in Moscow. Those factors were used to determine the size and seeing that size has never been a bone of contention, it seems that most researchers accept it and are happy with it. It is a fascinating topic though and in a later posting I will list the factors used to determine the size - as soon as the braadspil/windlass is laid to rest.
I am really curious about the critical factors, used to determine the dimensions of the WB/WS. Looking forward to that posting.

I am really curious about the critical factors, used to determine the dimensions of the WB/WS. Looking forward to that posting.
I have made a note of that and I promise I will post about it. The book "Het Schip van Barents", covers that part extensively.

A friend some time ago asked me if I could answer a stupid question. I told him as a general rule, those are the only types of questions I know how to answer.
So here is my stupid question. Can an old school windlass such as the WB's be portable? That is moved into position when needed, lashed, pegged down then moved out of the way when not needed. That could solve some space issues.

Super job of researching, Heinrich. And the ship looks good too. Have you thought about displaying the longer boat in the towed position? For my Soleil Royal, they have some scaffolding for the two boats to rest on. That gives the sailors and equipment more room below the boats.
View attachment 303783View attachment 303784
Thank you for the kind comments Vic. Your solution would have been a super one, but I have to stick to the Dutch layout on this one. The raised scaffolding was something that was not typical of a Dutch ship, so I will have to make another plan.

Back