HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Beautiful as always my friend where are we with the windlass though?
Thank you Rob! The windlass is going behind the foremast, but I intend to build one from scratch. I will work concurrently on the windlass and the small boat. :)

Outstanding my friend, not only the galleonthat you are showing here, but also your history lessons.:):)
Thank you so much my friend. I am really very happy with how that galleon turned out! I could not have asked for it to come out better. Thumbsup I am just as happy that you enjoy the history behind the bovenet.

Looking superb Heinrich! The wood tones are beautiful! ;)
Thank you very much partner - it is much appreciated! For the first time I actually took a little care with the photographs I took - still only the mobile, but at least I now have a white background and sort of decent lighting. :)

Those are incredible pictures. That little ship will be a gorgeous display when your build is complete.
Thank you very much my dear friend. I have never had the opportunity of taking decent pictures (the poorest imaginable lighting and no background). Now I am taking full advantage of the new shipyard. :) I am actually seriously considering not putting any finish on the ship. The wood hues as they are now, are perfect to my eye.

Hello Dear Friends

Last night I mentioned that I want to share something interesting with you - well, in actual fact there are two pieces of interesting news I have found. So let's start with the non-controversial one! :)

Maybe you have wondered, why the Willem Barentsz does not feature permanent decking on the structures midships and at the bow, but instead a net-like cover of lengthwise and crosswise wooden beams (see below as indicated by the yellow arrows).

View attachment 302809

In my continuing research, I came upon this very interesting piece of information. As you know, I recently completed the Willem Barentsz’s front canopy (“overkapping” in Dutch). Reading about the overkapping and its history revealed that it was originally called a “vinkennet” (finch netting).

Now firstly we have to look at terminology. Both names for these structures contain the word "opbouw" - meaning a built-up structure. The one midships was simply called as "opbouw" and the one at the stem a "vooropbouw" or "overkapping". "Vooropbouw" simply means a raised structure at the front of the ship. Now originally, these structures were called a "vinkennet" or finch net.

View attachment 302810

This image clearly shows the finch net. Originally, it was net of sturdy rope or chains that stretched between the forecastle and the deck behind it. - Source: Jan Zwart (Modelbouwforum)

View attachment 302811

Source: Jan Zwart - Modelbouwforum

The term finch-net gradually evolved into “boevennet” (crooks’ net), before it was corrupted into “bovenet” / bovennet” meaning (top net). This part is important as all terminology to the Willem Barentsz relates to boevenet (top net) as used by Ab Hoving.

Het Schip van Willem Barents - Ab Hoving

In his book, De vlootbouw in Nederland 1596-1655 weergeeft, (Shipbuilding in the Netherlands 1596-1655), Elias writes that at the beginning of the Eighty-Year War numerous Vlieboten and jachten were utilized by the Netherlands. In order to offer these vessels better protection against the much higher, built-up Spanish ships, they were equipped with a lattice- and chain framework that stretched between the forecastle and the deck behind it. The logic behind this was to offer protection to the crew during boarding raids from the enemy. During those days, victory at sea relied heavily on a successful boarding of the enemy; it was only much later that long-range cannon-fire became the decisive factor.

In the painting below by Aert Antonisz of “De Slag by Sluis” (The Battle at Sluis) a ship with boevenet is depicted.

View attachment 302812

The following drawing though, offers a much better visual example (if somewhat grained).

View attachment 302813

Nicolaes Witsen discusses the boevenet extensively, devoting a whole chapter to it, the drawing of the rafters and an explanation how it was built. Interestingly, he mentioned that the boevenet could be removed, resulting in an open canopy. This, however does raise the question why the vooropbouw then has front and rear “walls”.

So why is this important? If we examine the early jachten (of which the WB was one), and take into account that De Veer spoke of boevenetten it becomes clear that the WB was equipped with two in actual fact – one in the form of a half-deck midships and one in the form of the vooronder at the stem. These structures were not permanently closed with decking, but featured the wooden “netting” as seen on the WB as permanent replacements for the earlier finch nets..

And that is how we know why the Willem Barentsz looks the way she does! :D

Hopefully, I will be back a little later with a galleon update!
Thanks for this informative "lecture". Again I learned something new. Thumbsup

Hello Dear Friends

Last night I mentioned that I want to share something interesting with you - well, in actual fact there are two pieces of interesting news I have found. So let's start with the non-controversial one! :)

Maybe you have wondered, why the Willem Barentsz does not feature permanent decking on the structures midships and at the bow, but instead a net-like cover of lengthwise and crosswise wooden beams (see below as indicated by the yellow arrows).

View attachment 302809

In my continuing research, I came upon this very interesting piece of information. As you know, I recently completed the Willem Barentsz’s front canopy (“overkapping” in Dutch). Reading about the overkapping and its history revealed that it was originally called a “vinkennet” (finch netting).

Now firstly we have to look at terminology. Both names for these structures contain the word "opbouw" - meaning a built-up structure. The one midships was simply called as "opbouw" and the one at the stem a "vooropbouw" or "overkapping". "Vooropbouw" simply means a raised structure at the front of the ship. Now originally, these structures were called a "vinkennet" or finch net.

View attachment 302810

This image clearly shows the finch net. Originally, it was net of sturdy rope or chains that stretched between the forecastle and the deck behind it. - Source: Jan Zwart (Modelbouwforum)

View attachment 302811

The term finch-net gradually evolved into “boevennet” (crooks’ net), before it was corrupted into “bovenet” / bovennet” meaning (top net). This part is important as all terminology to the Willem Barentsz relates to boevenet (top net) as used by Ab Hoving.

In his book, De vlootbouw in Nederland 1596-1655 weergeeft, (Shipbuilding in the Netherlands 1596-1655), Elias writes that at the beginning of the Eighty-Year War numerous Vlieboten and jachten were utilized by the Netherlands. In order to offer these vessels better protection against the much higher, built-up Spanish ships, they were equipped with a lattice- and chain framework that stretched between the forecastle and the deck behind it. The logic behind this was to offer protection to the crew during boarding raids from the enemy. During those days, victory at sea relied heavily on a successful boarding of the enemy; it was only much later that long-range cannon-fire became the decisive factor.

In the painting below by Aert Antonisz of “De Slag by Sluis” (The Battle at Sluis) a ship with boevenet is depicted.

View attachment 302812

The following drawing though, offers a much better visual example (if somewhat grained).

View attachment 302813

Nicolaes Witsen discusses the boevenet extensively, devoting a whole chapter to it, the drawing of the rafters and an explanation how it was built. Interestingly, he mentioned that the boevenet could be removed, resulting in an open canopy. This, however does raise the question why the vooropbouw then has front and rear “walls”.

So why is this important? If we examine the early jachten (of which the WB was one), and take into account that De Veer spoke of boevenetten it becomes clear that the WB was equipped with two in actual fact – one in the form of a half-deck midships and one in the form of the vooronder at the stem. These structures were not permanently closed with decking, but featured the wooden “netting” as seen on the WB as permanent replacements for the earlier finch nets..

Good morning Heinrich- clever these Dutch shipwrights.

Hello Dear Friends

View attachment 302809

View attachment 302810

View attachment 302811

View attachment 302812

View attachment 302813

Hello Heinrich, This is very interesting, trying to understand why it was done this way.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Heinrich, This is very interesting, trying to understand why it was done this way.
Regards Lawrence
I am glad that you enjoyed it Lawrence. I love discovering the story behind the picture!

Wonderful workmanship Heinrich and your photographs show her off beautifully. The continued history lessons are really interesting and informative.
Thank you so much for the kind words Roger! I was actually surprised by the way the photographs came out myself. Yes, the history is always good to know - sometimes, it doesn't provide the information that we want to hear and sometimes it overturns convention, but I believe we are all the better for it! :)

Hi Guys

Some time ago I enquired whether any of you guys had heard anything from or d about @PT-2 Rich. I finally e-mailed Rich and I am very happy to say that I have heard from him and that he is OK - he is just taking a sabbatical from building at the moment!

Hello Dear Friends

Today there are no specially-taken pictures, just hard slogging and two results. A few days ago, @Robp1025 asked me what is happening to the windlass and I knew that I had to finish that part of the build.

To recap, this was my first effort as per the kit.

微信图片_20220405223312.jpg

There were four things that screamed "No-No" to me. Firstly, it was made from Triplex (Blue Arrow), secondly, I stained it trying to make it look better (it made it worse) (green arrow), thirdly it protruded too far above the bulwarks (red arrow) and lastly, I wasn't too keen on the belaying rack interfering with the foremast (yellow arrow).

So the only option was to build one from scratch. For that I wanted to use real wood, try to lower the whole assembly and clear the foremast. A bonus would be if it could look more integrated with the rest of the stern, than the previous effort. I drew what I think look the side-frame of a windlass, grabbed a scarp piece of pear wood and started filing. No Proxxons, Dremels or scroll saws here - just some files, an X-Acto, hand labor and plenty of patience. This continued until I thought something that could work.

微信图片_20220416150651.jpg

The let's see what it looks like on the ship.

微信图片_20220416154727.jpg

微信图片_20220416154735.jpg

I was happy that the whole assembly was now sitting much lower, but now of course, the knight's head still needed to be fitted in front of the belaying rack and in such a way that it would not interfere with the foremast.

微信图片_20220416180758.jpg

Knight's head fitted and now i was starting to feel better as it looked as if there was going to be some space between that and the foremast.

微信图片_20220416150559.jpg

And THAT is how tight things get in the WB's stern.

With that out of the way I could now make the belaying rack to be mounted directly in front of the foremast. Once more this was made from Pear wood. I have an idea about the Pear and Walnut, but I will have to see later how it pans out. The reason for doing this now, is to see how the two boats would fit as the belaying rack also impedes on the available space.

微信图片_20220416154622.jpg

微信图片_20220416154622.jpg

And then the results:

微信图片_20220416184724.jpg

The boat fits, but so much is hidden underneath the canopy that I don't know if I want to go this route.

微信图片_20220416184731.jpg

The little boat (it still has a lot of work before it is finished), is a much better fit, but I am not happy with my build of that. If I choose to go for the little one, it will be a complete rebuild.

And that is me for yet another day. Let me know what you think about the windlass and the lifeboats and - as always - criticism is just as welcome. I look forward to your comments as they have already been so valuable to me in this build.

微信图片_20220416180758.jpg

Back