HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Not yet finished for the day. I also continued work on the "big" ship's galleon.

View attachment 301858

Work started by drilling a 2mm hole into the beakhead into which a 2mm squared dowel was inserted and trimmed off to protrude 1cm above the beakhead.

View attachment 301859

Thereafter a 0.8mm hole was drilled into the hull and the first of the four side railings (1.5mm x 4mm) planks attached to the hull via push pin and to the pin at the beakhead by clamp. After that exercise had been repeated four times, this was the result:

View attachment 301861

As you can see the hole for the pushpin was used for a brass nail.

View attachment 301864

View attachment 301863

To me, the lines of this ship are just beautiful.

View attachment 301865

All tucked-in and ready for the night. The stamped card in the foreground is my nucleic testing one - five days in a row!
Good morning Heinrich. That is good work.....and you can build my lifeboats if you likeThumbsup

In South Africa we have "afval". If you translate this, you will get tripe, but that is not strictly correct. "Afval" is literally everything - so you can imagine it gets a bit gory at times! China, of course, has its chicken feet, duck blood, stomach lining, etc. to boot.
No Afval on Heinrichs WB...that’s for sure:D

Good morning Heinrich. That is good work.....and you can build my lifeboats if you likeThumbsup
Hello Grant. The littlest lifeboat is just ultimately too small to make something special of, so that is what it is. With the second practice build of the larger one, I am happier, but when it comes to the real one, I will have to up my game considerably.

That's good! With only rice you would get beriberi - the eastern version of scheurbuik
And worst is Hans, that I am not much of a fruit and vegetable man in any case. There is the old South African tale, of the farmer who had meat for breakfast, meat for lunch and meat for supper. When asked if he never eats vegetables, he replied: "What do you think is chicken?"

Hello Dear Friends

Among all the cuisine, the Lincoln Park Shipyard was a hive of activity today. With all classes cancelled, I had a whole day to spend in the shipyard - building, and while the glue was drying, researching.

Today I wanted to continue with the galleon part of the Willem Barentsz. It is better to illustrate the sequence of events on the plans than by means of photographs.

微信图片_20220412212916 - 副本.jpg

First three crossbeams (marked in red) were glued onto the beakhead base at intervals as specified by the plans. These consisted of 2mm x 3mm walnut strips.

微信图片_20220412212909.jpg

On top of the newly-laid crossbeams, are then glued four of the same 2mm x 3mm walnut strips so that their feet rest on the crossbeams, while their outer edges are glued to the inner edge of the two side railings that were already placed last night. The two uprights closest to the stem do not require a crossbeam, as the taper of the beakhead allows them to be glued directly on the base of the beakhead.

微信图片_20220412212916.jpg

When that is done the floor is then laid consisting of four 2mm x 2mm walnut strips which are glued lengthwise into the positions as shown on the plans.

And what then was all done, this was what I had ended up with:

微信图片_20220412211425.jpg

All the protrusions will be sawed / filed / sanded nice and flush tomorrow, but I always allow the glue a full 24-hours to dry before I do that. What I found most interesting, was that I could cut the floor beams on the plan and then they would then slot perfectly into their predetermined positions. This indicates that I have built this portion of the ship exactly as per the plans. That will be a first and a last for me! ROTF

微信图片_20220412211918.jpg

微信图片_20220412211433.jpg

I am really very happy with what I could accomplish today as far as the build goes. However, looking at these macro close-ups, there is still an awful lot of overall cleaning up and finishing-off in general that needs to be done.

As a matter of interest and just for comparison, I have placed the little boat on the Kolderstok plans - no problem with fitting into its rightful place!

微信图片_20220412212923.jpg

For the research part of today, stay tuned ...

Hello Dear Friends

Among all the cuisine, the Lincoln Park Shipyard was a hive of activity today. With all classes cancelled, I had a whole day to spend in the shipyard - building, and while the glue was drying, researching.

Today I wanted to continue with the galleon part of the Willem Barentsz. It is better to illustrate the sequence of events on the plans than by means of photographs.

View attachment 302705

First three crossbeams (marked in red) were glued onto the beakhead base at intervals as specified by the plans. These consisted of 2mm x 3mm walnut strips.

View attachment 302706

On top of the newly-laid crossbeams, are then glued four of the same 2mm x 3mm walnut strips so that their feet rest on the crossbeams, while their outer edges are glued to the inner edge of the two side railings that were already placed last night. The two uprights closest to the stem do not require a crossbeam, as the taper of the beakhead allows them to be glued directly on the base of the beakhead.

View attachment 302707

When that is done the floor is then laid consisting of four 2mm x 2mm walnut strips which are glued lengthwise into the positions as shown on the plans.

And what then was all done, this was what I had ended up with:

View attachment 302709

All the protrusions will be sawed / filed / sanded nice and flush tomorrow, but I always allow the glue a full 24-hours to dry before I do that. What I found most interesting, was that I could cut the floor beams on the plan and then they would then slot perfectly into their predetermined positions. This indicates that I have built this portion of the ship exactly as per the plans. That will be a first and a last for me! ROTF

View attachment 302710

View attachment 302711

I am really very happy with what I could accomplish today as far as the build goes. However, looking at these macro close-ups, there is still an awful lot of overall cleaning up and finishing-off in general that needs to be done.

As a matter of interest and just for comparison, I have placed the little boat on the Kolderstok plans - no problem with fitting into its rightful place!

View attachment 302714

For the research part of today, stay tuned ...
Very nice Heinrich, Each addition to your ship continues to enhance its overall beauty.

Back