HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

When I was in Holland, the team I met in Bilthoven took me out to lunch. They asked me if I'd like to try the herring - I said sure! It was good. Not much different than the sushi and sashimi I had i Japan. Washed it down with Orangeboom!
It makes sense - I have never tried herring, but after all, it's raw fish! :)

Now to me that is impressive and is a sheer indication of attention to detail and paying attention to historical accuracy. It is a lot of extra work, because I will end up building three lifeboats of which only one will be displayed, but this is work I gladly accept. You may wonder why I am also building the bigger boat with the squared stern - the answer is easy: Practice!
Heinrich, now you've done it. I'm going to try the little WB boats (no matter what they are called). I can use the "practice".

@Pathfinder65 By all means, Jan - give it a go! I am not sure which one of the two larger ones you have - the one with the squared-off stern or the rounded one.

If frame 9 (red arrow) looks like the one in the picture below, it is the rounded stern.

微信图片_20220401200929.jpg

Not yet finished for the day. I also continued work on the "big" ship's galleon.

微信图片_20220411231344.jpg

Work started by drilling a 2mm hole into the beakhead into which a 2mm squared dowel was inserted and trimmed off to protrude 1cm above the beakhead.

微信图片_20220411231337.jpg

Thereafter a 0.8mm hole was drilled into the hull and the first of the four side railings (1.5mm x 4mm) planks attached to the hull via push pin and to the pin at the beakhead by clamp. After that exercise had been repeated four times, this was the result:

微信图片_20220411230834.jpg

As you can see the hole for the pushpin was used for a brass nail.

微信图片_20220411230843.jpg

微信图片_20220411230826.jpg

To me, the lines of this ship are just beautiful.

微信图片_20220411230818.jpg

All tucked-in and ready for the night. The stamped card in the foreground is my nucleic testing one - five days in a row!

Not yet finished for the day. I also continued work on the "big" ship's galleon.

View attachment 301858

Work started by drilling a 2mm hole into the beakhead into which a 2mm squared dowel was inserted and trimmed off to protrude 1cm above the beakhead.

View attachment 301859

Thereafter a 0.8mm hole was drilled into the hull and the first of the four side railings (1.5mm x 4mm) planks attached to the hull via push pin and to the pin at the beakhead by clamp. After that exercise had been repeated four times, this was the result:

View attachment 301861

As you can see the hole for the pushpin was used for a brass nail.

View attachment 301864

View attachment 301863

To me, the lines of this ship are just beautiful.

View attachment 301865

All tucked-in and ready for the night. The stamped card in the foreground is my nucleic testing one - five days in a row!
Pretty sleek.

When we were in a version of lock down, not nearly as strick as you have, I moved from city to country and most my stuff was in boxes in shop.

My wife let me bring in a small kit and some tools to work in house to keep me happy.
It's actually ironical Kurt - our situations are just opposite! I have everything I need for model building inside the house, but no wife! ;)

I’ve had calf fries before. But never barbacoa.
In South Africa we have "afval". If you translate this, you will get tripe, but that is not strictly correct. "Afval" is literally everything - so you can imagine it gets a bit gory at times! China, of course, has its chicken feet, duck blood, stomach lining, etc. to boot.

Back