HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

(My daughter and her family live in Zaandam)
Nice! A short off-topic story. I am also technical engineer/advisor on copper roofing, and in Zaandam you have the Zaans Museum - which has a copper roof on it.
Shortly after this roof was installed there was a group of Chinese architects who wanted to visit Holland for some outstanding architecture examples, and the Zaans Museum was one of the buildings they'd like to see. So we had hired a coach, visited a few projects and afterwards the bus driver decided to go to some touristic places. One of them was - as you can guess - a (sort of) clog factory/tourist shop. I wasn't really pleased, because - some great Chinese architects bringing to something so very stereotype for Holland... all as a personal idea of the bus driver who thought he had a group of tourists in his bus.
But it all went well, and the visitors where pleased with what we had offered as a whole. But Chinese are always polite, so I never have got the right feeling about what they have thought about the clog-stop.

Nice! A short off-topic story. I am also technical engineer/advisor on copper roofing, and in Zaandam you have the Zaans Museum - which has a copper roof on it.
Shortly after this roof was installed there was a group of Chinese architects who wanted to visit Holland for some outstanding architecture examples, and the Zaans Museum was one of the buildings they'd like to see. So we had hired a coach, visited a few projects and afterwards the bus driver decided to go to some touristic places. One of them was - as you can guess - a (sort of) clog factory/tourist shop. I wasn't really pleased, because - some great Chinese architects bringing to something so very stereotype for Holland... all as a personal idea of the bus driver who thought he had a group of tourists in his bus.
But it all went well, and the visitors where pleased with what we had offered as a whole. But Chinese are always polite, so I never have got the right feeling about what they have thought about the clog-stop.
Hans I am sure they genuinely enjoyed it. Chinese, in general, have a big admiration for anything foreign and unique. That is why Chinese model manufacturers very seldom model Chinese ships. There is far more status involved building a French, or British ship than a Chinese one.

Hello Friends...

In the past, members have jokingly said that I am on @Kolderstok 's payroll and I understand that. But tonight as I go with you through the construction process of the lifeboats, I want to illustrate why I am such a fan of the company.

So as you all probably know by now, the Willem Barentsz had two lifeboats - a bok (the smaller of the two lifeboats) and a schuit (the bigger one of the two. I have now established, with a reasonable amount of certainty, that "bok" refers to sloop and "schuit" refers to boat. First I will look at the smaller of the two boats - the bok or sloop.

Sloop Square.jpg

If you look at the above drawing, you will see that the bok has squared-off stern and that is the way the boat comes in the kit.

微信图片_20220331215638.jpg

Holding the sloop in my hand, I couldn't help but think that Hans has wry sense of humor. I can just imagine how he must sit and laugh at all builders trying to concoct this tiny little thing together.

Right from the beginning, it was never my intention to display the smaller boat on deck. At barely 7cm long, it is simply too small to show the details that I would like to incorporate. However, I still wanted to build it for a few reasons. As you saw last night, I used it to get closure on the placement of the windlass and secondly, I wanted to see if I could put it together. :)

Well as you can imagine it was a "gepriegel" fumble of the first waters, but in the end, I did it.

微信图片_20220411173527.jpg

微信图片_20220411173602.jpg

I was happy about the fact that I could build it without any glue residue on the inside. After it was used in last night's measurement, it was a case of mission accomplished.

Now let's move on to the "schuit" or boat, which as the larger of the two, is much more interesting.

The lifeboat that Hans has always supplied with his ships looks like this.

微信图片_20220411211544.jpgThis the lifeboat from my Haarlem/Batavia which I am using as illustration.

微信图片_20220401201004.jpg

And this is what the framework of the boat looks like.

微信图片_20220411205412.jpg

As per usual this was the boat that Hans supplied as the bigger one of the WB as well. No surprises there. This picture shows the current state of build on the boat. Please note that it has the same squared-off stern as the smaller sloop.

But now if we look at the drawing below, we have a problem ...

微信图片_20220403152356 (1).jpg

Here you can clearly see that the boat is supposed to have a rounded stern and not a squared-off one. So what did Hans do?

Unlike a majority of kit manufacturers, he did not just supply a generic lifeboat - no, he redesigned it into one with a rounded stern.

If you look at the indication of the red lines, you can see the rounded stern of this framework.

微信图片_20220411205418.jpg

Now to me that is impressive and is a sheer indication of attention to detail and paying attention to historical accuracy. It is a lot of extra work, because I will end up building three lifeboats of which only one will be displayed, but this is work I gladly accept. You may wonder why I am also building the bigger boat with the squared stern - the answer is easy: Practice!

At least ones a weak, yummie
Did you know by the way, that the first barrel of herring goes to an auction and wil be sold for tens of thousands of euro's. ( which goes to charity)
When I was in Holland, the team I met in Bilthoven took me out to lunch. They asked me if I'd like to try the herring - I said sure! It was good. Not much different than the sushi and sashimi I had i Japan. Washed it down with Orangeboom!

Back