HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

It is getting colder and colder and to keep warm, Willem is running around in the hold. He nibbles on a piece of cheese here, he nibbles on some ham there and when he can't eat anymore, he jumps into the wine to emerge a few seconds later in very high spirits. "What a wonderful life it is to be a ship's rat!"
ROTF

It is official now - we are in full Covid-19 lockdown. The worst part is that I won't even be able to see the Admiral this weekend or for as long as the lockdown lasts. So tonight, give your loved ones an extra hug and tell them how special they are.
"Veel sterkte" in this new lockdown. I can only imagine how taxing they are, based on the in comparison less severe lockdowns we had over here.

"Veel sterkte" in this new lockdown. I can only imagine how taxing they are, based on the in comparison less severe lockdowns we had over here.
Thank you Johan. We have no choice but to accept that which we cannot change. :)

Congratulations to Heinrich, this blog has now hit 100 pages of outstanding workmanship and comradery with other modelers. :) Thumbs-Up
Thank you very much Kurt. The journey that I have been able to take with with my fellow modelers while building this model, has been something truly special. I am in awe at the reaction that this build has received and for that I am eternally grateful to all my friends here on SOS.

And just when we thought lock downs were over in Aus at least, maybe not.
Take care Heinrich, at least the WB will keep you company for now.
Richie that is what I thought too, but it just takes a few selfish people who think only of themselves and the result is another spike in the pandemic. You are right though- the little ship will keep me busy. :)

Heinrich, it appears that the boats use single tholes. These sticks are used as fulcrums for the oars. I’m trying to decide whether to use singles or doubles on my Soleil. Does your model come with them? If not, do you intend to make them? I’m trying to find solutions. I assume boats would be similar among the various nationalities.

Heinrich, it appears that the boats use single tholes. These sticks are used as fulcrums for the oars. I’m trying to decide whether to use singles or doubles on my Soleil. Does your model come with them? If not, do you intend to make them? I’m trying to find solutions. I assume boats would be similar among the various nationalities.
Hello Vic. Apparently the Dutch longboats were different from the rest, but be that as it may.

Chaloup 1.PNG

Chaloup 2.PNG

The above 3D renderings are from the 17th century Dutch ships and the drawing below shows a 16th century configuration.

微信图片_20220403152356.jpg

I hope this helps - if not, let me know and I will see what else I can find.

It appears the 17th Century longboats used something like an oarlock. The 16th Century boats seem to have double tholes. Some of the pictures of reconstructions that were posted earlier on your log showed single tholes. What do you plan for your boats, Heinrich?

The bigger one of the two comes with oarlocks but the smaller one without anything. Looking at that drawing, I will probably go double tholes, Vic.

It appears the 17th Century longboats used something like an oarlock. The 16th Century boats seem to have double tholes. Some of the pictures of reconstructions that were posted earlier on your log showed single tholes. What do you plan for your boats, Heinrich?
And to really confuse the issue, the replica longboat of the Willem Barentsz has single tholes.

800-s14.jpg

800-w07.JPG

Back