HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

The only thing is that the position of the windlass differs so greatly between the different interpretations
My point exactly.
I guess my feelings regarding such matters have been swayed lately as I realize there is much more to life. Or in my case impending death.

So I'll bow out gracefully.
I did not want to press the Like button for that post. You are so right Ron, these things that we busy ourselves with are fickle and unimportant when it comes to the really important things that threaten our existence. My prayers are with you in this difficult time (and there is no need to bow out - you will always be a honorary member of this build log and a very dear friend.

Peter my friend it is so difficult. In Ab's book he gives the dimensions of the "schuijt / schuyt" as 21.5 feet and that of the "bok" as 16.5 feet. On two occasions De Veer writes:

10 juni: “ Den 10. Juny setten wy onsen schuijt uyt ende voeren met ons acht persoonen naer landt…”

20 juli: “Wy setten onse schuijt uyt ende royden met ons achten aen t’land”
Heinrich my friend, it is very difficult indeed, i have the feeling that Ab Hoving comes with the good answers, because he made much more studie of these vessels, being a curator of a shipping museum, and then ,all of a sudden there is a report from one of the sailors on board, that says otherwise.
Perhaps the weather ,or the amount of ice was so severe that they had to take the schuit inboard, or is he mistaken , and talking about the litt;e lifeboat that was aboard the vessel??
He who knowes may speak out, but most people living now where not there at that time.

Heinrich my friend, it is very difficult indeed, i have the feeling that Ab Hoving comes with the good answers, because he made much more studie of these vessels, being a curator of a shipping museum, and then ,all of a sudden there is a report from one of the sailors on board, that says otherwise.
Perhaps the weather ,or the amount of ice was so severe that they had to take the schuit inboard, or is he mistaken , and talking about the litt;e lifeboat that was aboard the vessel??
He who knowes may speak out, but most people living now where not there at that time.
My friend that is what Johan said. We can only make educated guesses. At least I know that if I am wrong, I am in very good company! :)

If, for instance, a belaying rail has a thickness of 2mm/0.0079" in your model, then that would translate to 100mm/4" in real life, when using a 1:50 scale ratio.

You are quite right Johan, in the scale that most of us are building, you can't make all details of the ship, in the correct size
And if you want to do so, you need another scale ratio, but then you would need a castle as your home to place your modelship when ready

Heinrich my friend, first of all, your litttle Willem Barents looks beautifull.
Second point, when i showed my gratings for the Hermione on modelbouwforum, you answered that someone on SOS had mentioned that he finds the gratings in modelship kits where always to large, so i will show my gratings here as wel.
In the first picture you will see the gratings that Artesania supplied for the Hermione, and the components for the Kolderstok gratings, and a small piece that was almost ready at the time of the picture. ( so i thougt )
thse gratings has holes of 1 square mm, but because it is so tiny, it is also very fragile. The first 3 strips with teeth pulverised in my fingers, before i knew it.
So gentle handling is essentiël.DSCN4871.JPG

I thougt this was the way to make the gratings, but i spoiled some material, and then i thougt, let me read the manual, after that i got the real gratings.DSCN4873.JPG

Here you see the complete gratings, but uncorrected. The toptimbers that are laying in the teeth strips, are placed with a little slow zap.
When this was dry, i gave the gratings two layers of varnish, to give the wood a little more strength.
When that was dry, i sanded the gratings to the proper size.DSCN4880.JPG

Now i think that i am having nice gratings to be placed.

Heinrich my friend, first of all, your litttle Willem Barents looks beautifull.
Second point, when i showed my gratings for the Hermione on modelbouwforum, you answered that someone on SOS had mentioned that he finds the gratings in modelship kits where always to large, so i will show my gratings here as wel.
In the first picture you will see the gratings that Artesania supplied for the Hermione, and the components for the Kolderstok gratings, and a small piece that was almost ready at the time of the picture. ( so i thougt )
thse gratings has holes of 1 square mm, but because it is so tiny, it is also very fragile. The first 3 strips with teeth pulverised in my fingers, before i knew it.
So gentle handling is essentiël.View attachment 301156

I thougt this was the way to make the gratings, but i spoiled some material, and then i thougt, let me read the manual, after that i got the real gratings.View attachment 301157

Here you see the complete gratings, but uncorrected. The toptimbers that are laying in the teeth strips, are placed with a little slow zap.
When this was dry, i gave the gratings two layers of varnish, to give the wood a little more strength.
When that was dry, i sanded the gratings to the proper size.View attachment 301158

Now i think that i am having nice gratings to be placed.
Thank you very much for posting this Peter. My Australian friend @Bryian Brian made the statement that the gratings on all kits are oversized. I couldn't resist asking him if he has ever built a Kolderstok model. ;)

But everything has swings and roundabouts. The gratings may be to scale but they are not the easiest to assemble, as you discovered! :)

Hello Dear Friends

It is official now - we are in full Covid-19 lockdown. The worst part is that I won't even be able to see the Admiral this weekend or for as long as the lockdown lasts. So tonight, give your loved ones an extra hug and tell them how special they are.

However, I am not too perturbed - when I'm not teaching I'm busy with WB and because I have no idea how long I will be at home, I am taking things nice and easy. Today I added the only decorative piece that will adorn the WB on the beakhead.

微信图片_20220407224901.jpg

1649343362231.jpeg

I also started the construction of the "little boat" as the admiral would say and finished the framework.

微信图片_20220407224911.jpg

And if I place it to the left of the deck , I can fit it in between the canopies! :)

微信图片_20220407224853.jpg

So tonight, I feel like our ship's mouse/rat, Willem the Second.

微信图片_20220407224431.jpg

It is getting colder and colder and to keep warm, Willem is running around in the hold. He nibbles on a piece of cheese here, he nibbles on some ham there and when he can't eat anymore, he jumps into the wine to emerge a few seconds later in very high spirits. "What a wonderful life it is to be a ship's rat!"

Oh dear Heinrich, and for how long will this lockdown last we find this very nasty for you, but t it gives a lot of building time
Peter, no one knows. Shanghai is the big problem and we are the closest city to Shanghai. Many people from Nantong work in Shanghai and then brings the virus with them.

Wow, sorry to hear about your lockdown. I was wondering how close to Shanghai you were when I read the number of cities also going through the same process. Stay save my friend and build, build, build.
Thank you Jan. This time the government is even more serious than the last time - among a plethora of rules and regulations, we are being tested every single day.

EVERYONE in Shanghai and the surrounds is being tested every day?
Paul, I don't know about Shanghai, but in Nantong in the urban area, the answer is yes. The government has established testing units inside each community (a community in China is the equivalent of what we know as a neighborhood). Access to the communities are only via two - or in the case of a large community - three or four gates. All these entrances have been shut down and only one remains "open" but very strictly controlled. You can only leave your community with a pass issued by the local government and then only in extreme cases.

Sorry to hear about the lockdown Heinrich. It can be tough but you have a great positive attitude to see you through. No doubt you and Anna will miss your quality time together but I sincerely hope not for too long. As you say though, there’s now some extra time to spend on your superb build.

Does lockdown there mean no venturing outside at all except for a daily test? If so what do you do about household food/supplies etc.?
Stay safe.

Roger the daily tests are done inside the community so you don't even have to leave the community for that. You get issued 3 tickets per week with which one designated person in each household is allowed to leave the communities to buy food and supplies. But the onus of health and safety then shifts to the selected supermarkets/shops which are allowed to remain open for business.

Hello Dear Friends

It is official now - we are in full Covid-19 lockdown. The worst part is that I won't even be able to see the Admiral this weekend or for as long as the lockdown lasts. So tonight, give your loved ones an extra hug and tell them how special they are.

However, I am not too perturbed - when I'm not teaching I'm busy with WB and because I have no idea how long I will be at home, I am taking things nice and easy. Today I added the only decorative piece that will adorn the WB on the beakhead.

View attachment 301212

View attachment 301213

I also started the construction of the "little boat" as the admiral would say and finished the framework.

View attachment 301214

And if I place it to the left of the deck , I can fit it in between the canopies! :)

View attachment 301215

So tonight, I feel like our ship's mouse/rat, Willem the Second.

View attachment 301216

It is getting colder and colder and to keep warm, Willem is running around in the hold. He nibbles on a piece of cheese here, he nibbles on some ham there and when he can't eat anymore, he jumps into the wine to emerge a few seconds later in very high spirits. "What a wonderful life it is to be a ship's rat!"
Clever little Rat Willem is. Stay safe Heinrich and enjoy some build time. It is sad not seeing the Admiral however we all know how this goes and you will soon. Cheers Grant

Back