HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

To me that's good news Heinrich. I love the way it looks right now. So now I'm really looking forward (with your Admiral's approval of course) to a Oak hull WB:D
Maybe ??
Thank you very much Daniel. I am looking forward to build my first ship with an oak hull, but there is also a bit of trepidation. ;)

Well, Heinrich, it is wood, so everything is possible, but i am glad you decided otherwise.
I am looking forward to see this WB being build further
I am glad you agree my friend. I think it would be quite nice to have the two variations of the same ship.

Dear Friends. Frank has just sent me something that has left me speechless. If you are familiar with Dutch Shipbuilding, you will recognize this immediately, This is the Holy Grail of all publications on historic Dutch shipbuilding. And to make it even better, this is the notoriously difficult to read and understand original version.

Witsen Vol.png

Grazie Frank. This is priceless!

Dear Friends. Frank has just sent me something that has left me speechless. If you are familiar with Dutch Shipbuilding, you will recognize this immediately, This is the Holy Grail of all publications on historic Dutch shipbuilding. And to make it even better, this is the notoriously difficult to read and understand original version.

View attachment 307146

Grazie Frank. This is priceless!
see mail again

Please see below @Uwek Uwe's posting on the Ab Hoving translation of the above book and a brief description of what the work is all about.

Just received a new beautiful book, for which I was searching longer - in the meantime rare and unfortunately expensive copy

Shipbuildning in the dutch Golden Age.jpg

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age
(Ed Rachal Foundation Nautical Archaeology Series)
by A. J. Hoving (Author)

Synopsis:

In 1671, Dutch diplomat and scientist Nicolaes Witsen published a book that served, among other things, as an encyclopedia for the “shell-first” method of ship construction. In the centuries since, Witsen’s rather convoluted text has also become a valuable source for insights into historical shipbuilding methods and philosophies during the “Golden Age” of Dutch maritime trade. However, as André Wegener Sleeswyk’s foreword notes, Witsen’s work is difficult to access not only for its seventeenth-century Dutch language but also for the vagaries of its author’s presentation.

Fortunately for scholars and students of nautical archaeology and shipbuilding, this important but chaotic work has now been reorganized and elucidated by A. J. Hoving and translated into English by Alan Lemmers. In Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age, Hoving, master model builder for the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, sorts out the steps in Witsen’s method for building a seventeenth-century pinas by following them and building a model of the vessel. Experimenting with techniques and materials, conducting research in other publications of the time, and rewriting as needed to clarify and correct some vital omissions in the sequence, Hoving makes Witsen’s work easier to use and understand.

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age is an indispensable guide to Witsen’s work and the world of his topic: the almost forgotten basics of a craftsmanship that has been credited with the flourishing of the Dutch Republic in the seventeenth century.

To view a sample of Ab Hoving’s ship model drawings, please visit: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm
  • Gebundene Ausgabe: 310 Seiten
  • Verlag: Texas A&M University Press; Auflage: New (15. April 2012)
  • Sprache: Englisch
  • ISBN-10: 1603442863
  • ISBN-13: 978-1603442862
  • Größe und/oder Gewicht: 21,8 x 2,5 x 28,2 cm
A detailed book review will come sooner or later ......

My good friend @rtibbs Ron also has this book in his library.

Thank you for posting this @Uwek Uwe! Thumbsup

Please see below @Uwek Uwe's posting on the Ab Hoving translation of the above book and a brief description of what the work is all about.

Just received a new beautiful book, for which I was searching longer - in the meantime rare and unfortunately expensive copy

Shipbuildning in the dutch Golden Age.jpg

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age
(Ed Rachal Foundation Nautical Archaeology Series)
by A. J. Hoving (Author)

Synopsis:

In 1671, Dutch diplomat and scientist Nicolaes Witsen published a book that served, among other things, as an encyclopedia for the “shell-first” method of ship construction. In the centuries since, Witsen’s rather convoluted text has also become a valuable source for insights into historical shipbuilding methods and philosophies during the “Golden Age” of Dutch maritime trade. However, as André Wegener Sleeswyk’s foreword notes, Witsen’s work is difficult to access not only for its seventeenth-century Dutch language but also for the vagaries of its author’s presentation.

Fortunately for scholars and students of nautical archaeology and shipbuilding, this important but chaotic work has now been reorganized and elucidated by A. J. Hoving and translated into English by Alan Lemmers. In Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age, Hoving, master model builder for the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, sorts out the steps in Witsen’s method for building a seventeenth-century pinas by following them and building a model of the vessel. Experimenting with techniques and materials, conducting research in other publications of the time, and rewriting as needed to clarify and correct some vital omissions in the sequence, Hoving makes Witsen’s work easier to use and understand.

Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age is an indispensable guide to Witsen’s work and the world of his topic: the almost forgotten basics of a craftsmanship that has been credited with the flourishing of the Dutch Republic in the seventeenth century.

To view a sample of Ab Hoving’s ship model drawings, please visit: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm
  • Gebundene Ausgabe: 310 Seiten
  • Verlag: Texas A&M University Press; Auflage: New (15. April 2012)
  • Sprache: Englisch
  • ISBN-10: 1603442863
  • ISBN-13: 978-1603442862
  • Größe und/oder Gewicht: 21,8 x 2,5 x 28,2 cm
A detailed book review will come sooner or later ......

My good friend @rtibbs Ron also has this book in his library.

Thank you for posting this @Uwek Uwe! Thumbsup
Your library is growing Heinrich. Enjoy the journey

Your library is growing Heinrich. Enjoy the journey
It certainly is Ron. However, the go-to for the WB remains to be your superb gift and of course the excellent plans of Ab's in addition to what @Kolderstok Hans is cooking up. And speaking of Hans, he has been incredible in his support, willingness to help and general advice. This is just more and more getting to be a team project in which so many members of SOS have participated and are participating. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends!

I believe the drawing Frank posted earlier is a Statenjacht it looks like the one on my bench. However the deck layout is different than mine. No, I will not follow your path regarding the WB. I will build as is. ;)

It certainly is Ron. However, the go-to for the WB remains to be your superb gift and of course the excellent plans of Ab's in addition to what @Kolderstok Hans is cooking up. And speaking of Hans, he has been incredible in his support, willingness to help and general advice. This is just more and more getting to be a team project in which so many members of SOS have participated and are participating. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends!
Doc better watch out as I believe your log is going to overtake his shortly. (Back to work Doc, vacation's over):)

Doc better watch out as I believe your log is going to overtake his shortly. (Back to work Doc, vacation's over):)
@dockattner Paul has been wonderful in his support of the WB build while his Vasa remains something else. But you are right - vacation is over! - he still has to remember that he has an ever-increasing responsibility as Artistic Director of the Willem Barentsz as well. Or is that now @Richie Richie? Last time I checked they were fighting over the position! ROTF

Well my friend, like I said to Johan - I suppose you can modify things, but you will never be able to fit the front wall of the captain's cabin underneath that canopy. So instead, I will leave this model untouched (it is actually very close to the De Weerdt interpretation) and if the Admiral agrees, build a second model according to Ab's interpretation. I am also very much looking forward to that as there are a host of new things I want to try!
Heinrich, a most excellent solution. It would be great to see the two versions side by side.

@dockattner Paul has been wonderful in his support of the WB build while his Vasa remains something else. But you are right - vacation is over! - he still has to remember that he has an ever-increasing responsibility as Artistic Director of the Willem Barentsz as well. Or is that now @Richie Richie? Last time I checked they were fighting over the position! ROTF
So many hats to wear!

Actually my build log has grown by many pages without me posting hardly a thing. Like Artificial Intelligence it has developed its own potential for growth and change ROTF. Personally I would not have the fortitude to rebuild the same/similar ship as Heinrich is considering. I can only admire and respect his faithfulness to the project. But does that mean he will have to restart his log on page 1???

Last edited:
So many hats to wear!

Actually my build log has grown by many pages without me posting hardly a thing. Like Artificial Intelligence it has developed its own potential for growth and change ROTF. Personally I would not have the fortitude to rebuild the same/similar ship as Heinrich is considering. I can only admire and respect his faithfulness to the project. But does that mean he will have to restart his log on page 1???
Paul your log is phenomenal - as you say, it has a mind of its own - and all of it is fully deserved.

I have not given any thought to the number of build logs - unless the Admiral agrees to a second model, there will be only one ship in any case. As to the rebuilding of the same ship - I think I approach this build very differently. It is normal for us modelers to have a follow-up build in mind (I certainly did in the past), but now the thought of another ship does not even cross my mind. I have set my heart on building the most historically accurate model (according to the knowledge of what my research has taught me) of the Willem Barentsz that I can possibly build. If I do manage to do that - then and only then - it is mission accomplished.

Building any other ship, is like cheating on her - I can never do that. (Now you can really certify me!) ROTF

Heinrich my friend, i believe you need a bigger bookshelf, what a beautifull gift you got there.
I hope you have a lot of fun with all this books to read, and discus. :):):)
I am very lucky to have such wonderful resources my friend - it doesn't always make things easy, but it does mean that we do have a plausible idea of how things were done.

Back