HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

That is a stunner Hans! I have actually read about these so it is great to see what they look like! Those depictions on the coin are excellent - even right down to the Polar Bear. :)
Hummmm, do I see an online auction in the future

Extremely harsh rules in our 21st century eyes, but understandable and necessary in the extreme conditions those crews had to endure.
The call to bring those rules back to society is understandable, given the current state of affairs, but capital punishment is just one step too far for me. That is a definite no-go.
Those rules are certainly harsh - the one about spilling alcohol particularly so. I suppose the debate about capital punishment is one that will continue for many decades to come.

If you can bear with me and excuse my complete lack of talent when it comes to do anything remotely representing a picture or illustration, I would like to show you how the WB will change .

JPG_1446_6225_bewerkt-1 (1).jpg
This is the original configuration as Hans has designed it - this is actually very close to the De Weerdt interpretation. The square hole is for the helmsman's hut.

JPG_1446_6225_bewerkt-1.jpg

The green indicates just how far further backwards the rear canopy will extend (section indicated by the white bracket) , the blue indicates the front wall of the captain's cabin while the red indicates a centrally-planked section that will house a hatch and act as the mizzen mast surround. This would be bringing the model perfectly in line with the De Veer drawings and Ab Hoving's interpretation as per below.

WHR.png

Oh bugger, another model bashing in progress...:eek:
I wish you lot stick to the building instructions, just like I do. :cool:
No kit bashing Johan. I do things differently - I build a different model. Thumbsup Underneath that canopy, a captain's cabin with doors have to be installed - there is just no way that I can do that on the present model. :)

Heinrich, Is the mizzen mast off center towards the starboard side on the De Veer drawing? I have seen off center bowsprits on @oldflyer's Sovereign of the Seas albeit a later century English ship.

Hi Daniel - I have seen that and asked myself the same question. It certainly looks off-center on the drawing, but that must be just something that is peculiar to De Veer's drawing.

Top View - 副本.png

Barents-04.jpg

Ab's plans and model clearly show that it is conventionally mounted in the center.

Heinrich, Is the mizzen mast off center towards the starboard side on the De Veer drawing? I have seen off center bowsprits on @oldflyer's Sovereign of the Seas albeit a later century English ship.
No - I think it was rather unusual if they had placed the mizzen off center. I think this is much more an example you should be very carefull in using drawings as a definite source about how things were done.

Hans

That is a stunner Hans! I have actually read about these so it is great to see what they look like! Those depictions on the coin are excellent - even right down to the Polar Bear. :)
The coin was minted by the Royal Dutch Mint, and it was said that it could be used as a normal coin of 10 Euro when the Euro would be introduced (which was april 2002). I did pay the usual 10 Euro price for it (around 23 Gulden back in 1996). There were 50.000 made of them.
But I have a slight fear no shop would accept this coin as a real one nowadays.

No - I think it was rather unusual if they had placed the mizzen off center. I think this is much more an example you should be very carefull in using drawings as a definite source about how things were done.

Hans
For sure Hans. But I do believe that Van der Veer's drawings actually show a remarkable consistency throughout. Yes there are variations with regards to the gunports, and the proportion of things are sometimes debatable, but overall, they are quite consistent. And ... they are the only original source we have.

The coin was minted by the Royal Dutch Mint, and it was said that it could be used as a normal coin of 10 Euro when the Euro would be introduced (which was april 2002). I did pay the usual 10 Euro price for it (around 23 Gulden back in 1996). There were 50.000 made of them.
But I have a slight fear no shop would accept this coin as a real one nowadays.
But you would never want to sell something like that or use it to buy something. That coin goes into the display cabinet for all eternity! :)

For sure Hans. But I do believe that Van der Veer's drawings actually show a remarkable consistency throughout. Yes there are variations with regards to the gunports, and the proportion of things are sometimes debatable, but overall, they are quite consistent. And ... they are the only original source we have.
Well I too think it would be unusual for an off-center mast but I had to ask. I'm looking forward to your modifications Heinrich.

Well I too think it would be unusual for an off-center mast but I had to ask. I'm looking forward to your modifications Heinrich.
Well my friend, like I said to Johan - I suppose you can modify things, but you will never be able to fit the front wall of the captain's cabin underneath that canopy. So instead, I will leave this model untouched (it is actually very close to the De Weerdt interpretation) and if the Admiral agrees, build a second model according to Ab's interpretation. I am also very much looking forward to that as there are a host of new things I want to try!

That are very serious modifications you are planning to do Heinrich, and no seadevils to help you breaking things away, so i wish you good luck and a steady hand, my friend
Peter if I want to modify the existing ship, it will have to be broken down to almost deck level. I would never be able to do that to my model. As it stands now, it is a beautiful ship and one that deserves to be finished. So ... let me rather build a second one.

Last edited:
Well my friend, like I said to Johan - I suppose you can modify things, but you will never be able to fit the front wall of the captain's cabin underneath that canopy. So instead, I will leave this model untouched (it is actually very close to the De Weerdt interpretation) and if the Admiral agrees, build a second model according to Ab's interpretation. I am also very much looking forward to that as there are a host of new things I want to try!
To me that's good news Heinrich. I love the way it looks right now. So now I'm really looking forward (with your Admiral's approval of course) to a Oak hull WB:D
Maybe ??

Back