HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Hello Dear Friends

Onwards we go - as it is time for the deadeyes. Luckily I have the excellent instructions from @pietsan Piet Sanders to follow which make things just so much clearer.

View attachment 311211
Photograph: Piet Sanders. For the deadeyes, Piet did not use the kit-supplied black, metal wire but went with 0.5mm brown rope which was then served with 0.3mm brown rope.

Time to call in my secret weapon ... the Admiral.

View attachment 311210

And the result:

View attachment 311217

This picture - and it is beyond macro- close-up (look at the size of the clamp) shows the first step of just securing the rope to the deadeye itself.

View attachment 311224

Here you can see the second step which shows the serving rope glued to the 0.5mm thread that was used to secure the deadeyes. All the deadeyes have now received their servings and are lying in the clamps waiting for the glue to dry. The number of windings that the serving rope is wound is carefully counted to make sure that the servings are of equal length.

View attachment 311232

Photograph: Piet Sanders. After the servings had been completed, Piet then simply applies some PVA glue to the elongated part of the deadeye assembly and inserts the deadeye into the pre-drilled hole in the hull.

View attachment 311233

Deadeye inserted.

View attachment 311234

The rope is finally secured to the hull by means of a brass nail.

View attachment 311235
Photograph: Piet Sanders. And Voila! that is what the final assembly looks like - the neatest deadeye-assembly you could wish for.

While I am waiting for the glue on my served deadeyes to dry, I made a start with the ropes securing the gunport-lid hinges.

View attachment 311236
The Admiral prepared the hooks for these and subsequently did the knots and secured the rope to the hooks ...

View attachment 311237
After which I quickly made a jig to hold the hooks while I coated the knots and ropes with diluted PVA. Clamps were used as weights so that they would hang down straight while the glue dried. This would result in taught and straight ropes for my gunport lids.

View attachment 311238
Ropes on the port side are finished. Now I have to do the starboard side's gunport ropes and by that time, the deadeyes can come out of the clamps. I will see how much I can still get done today, not forgetting of course it that is also the Monaco Grand Prix this afternoon!
Great team work Heinrich getting the Admiral involved is wonderful and a great result.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Great team work Heinrich getting the Admiral involved is wonderful and a great result.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you Stephen. I am very fortunate that the Admiral is my greatest supporter, but also my harshest critic which helps to keep me on my toes. Whenever I hear: "What happened here?", I know I am in trouble! :)

A very tidy installation Heinrich. Congratulations (to both of you).
Thank you Paul. I am reasonably happen with that, but obviously one will only be able to get the full visual impact when they become part of the shrouds. :)

Wow that is real "fiddly" work. Looks great.
Jan it's fiddly from the point of view that it is time consuming, but doing it this way is not difficult. I did wrap one or two deadeyes with the metal wire that comes with the kit, but I couldn't get it to look as neat as Piet's deadeyes with the rope.

Good evening Heinrich, I ask: are the bigots already fixed in their place? Thank you
Hello Frank. My answer is "yes" and "no". They are fixed but it's not a problem for me to loosen them. Why do you ask?

Are you taking notes? You know yours are in the future :)
H has a secret weapon, his Admiral (although it isn’t a secret any longer)
I hope Jan is taking notes Ron! He is going to get utterly confused when I start WB #2 unless he keeps notes of which is which. ROTF You are right, the Admiral is no longer a secret, but sometimes a little reminding doesn't hurt. It's good for the ego, you know - when I have to ask another favour! :)

A lovely little ship, but I still think you're cheating, having your Admiral doing the real hard work. :cool:
Those modern day cameras are beyond unforgiving, but for the very few perfectionists among us, those are heaven send...

Back