High Speed Miro Drills

Jim,
Do not forget that there are some transition pieces (with inside/outside threads) available by which Dremel tools can be fixed into Proxxon devices.
János

Jim,
Do not forget that there are some transition pieces (with inside/outside threads) available by which Dremel tools can be fixed into Proxxon devices.
János
Hello, Janos. Personally, I have never heard about such converters\addpters. Obviously, it doesn't mean they don't exist. :D I am going to search for those...

Here I found one

Janos, I am not a big fan of those adapters, neither that fan of the drill stands. Those designed if you want to use a single rotary tool for everything. In reality, it can be well adapted for beginners in mind. The fact that you have to remove it for one job and set it again for another makes this tool inconvenient, hence multiple reattachments will decrease precision, actually required for a drill press in such, IMHO. I would consider a drill press and rotary tool as separate options, not necessarily Proxxon.

Hello, Andy. There is no such thing as Dremel-like tools. All tools made by Dremel company we call Dremel tools. In this particular case, the stand takes a Proxxon rotary tool.
In fact, Yuri @Y.T. setup is not a drill press, It is called a drill stand. Proxxon made many different rotary tools, where some of which will fit this drill stand. Drill press, however, comes with motor and drill chuck permanently mount and not interchangeable.

Here is the drill stand. Without a rotary tool, it is useless. If you own one of the Proxxon rotary tools, you can convert this drill stand to a drill press.
View attachment 230622

Here is the drill press. You can use it out from the box, no rotary tool requires, besides drill bits, perhaps.

View attachment 230623

Dremel also made a drill stand as well as the rotary tools. While both Proxxon and Dremel tools designed for the same purpose, they are not interchangeable in the drill stands. Here is the Dremel version of the drill stand. It will fit only Dremel rotary tools.

View attachment 230625

However, there are many diffrent drill stand compatible with dremel rotary tools. Like the one below from Milescraft. This one is Dremmel friendly.

View attachment 230627
Thank you so much for this information. I own a rotary tool by Utool--is there a stand that will accommodate a Utool rotary tool?

Thank you so much for this information. I own a rotary tool by Utool--is there a stand that will accommodate a Utool rotary tool?

I just wanted to say 'wow I found it' and I can see now that others were quicker, but still, here it is. I don't know where to buy it because I got it from a friend but I think Micromark would be a good place to start.
Otherwise, I am not using this piece often (to tell the truth this was the first time I assembled it) - but it can be useful for those who have a Dremel and a Proxxon stand. And reflecting on Jim's comment yes, the setup is time-consuming but still worthwhile if ie. I use the drill stand once a month or so.
Janos

DSC_1126[1].JPGDSC_1127[1].JPGDSC_1128[1].JPGDSC_1129[1].JPG

Honestly, I don't know, But looking at your tool I don't see any 'neck' to use with the drill stand, but I could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't know, But looking at your tool I don't see any 'neck' to use with the drill stand, but I could be wrong.

I am usually using the Proxxon or the micromotor free-hand but if the hole has to be perpendicular to something there comes the drill stand. Provided of course that the piece fits underneath the drill in the stand.
János

Further dremel questions from a "Tool=-Ignoramus": I notice in dremel descriptions that they will say things like "4000-4/34" or "4000-6/50-FF".
What do these things reffer to? I'm looking to get a good quality Dremel tool for shipmodeling along with a dremel tool stand and some accessories. Thank you so much. Andy.

Further dremel questions from a "Tool=-Ignoramus": I notice in dremel descriptions that they will say things like "4000-4/34" or "4000-6/50-FF".
What do these things reffer to? I'm looking to get a good quality Dremel tool for shipmodeling along with a dremel tool stand and some accessories. Thank you so much. Andy.

I don't know what those annotations mean (I think 4000 has to be the rpm) but there is something you have to know about Dremel. It is a powerful, robust tool but not usable for fine modelling work. It starts revving at about 5000 rpm but the minimum rpm increases by another 2-3000 in a few seconds, as it heats up. So if slow movement is needed (ie. carving), then you need a Proxxon or -better- a micro motor. And the Dremel is heavy and vibrates a lot, so it can't be held in your hand for more than a few minutes.
János

If you a serious modeler, I mean will dedicate a larger part of your free time to this hobby, you most likely will need a couple of rotary tools. But this is more to a scratch builder. For kit assembly\bashing you will need one, good tool. Frankly, it is more of a personal preference, IMHO the Proxxon is better engineering towards the quality. I do own a few Dremel rotary tools, and happy. :)

Today, there so many different rotary tools to choose from. Many of them are cordless and comes with 'tons of useless accessories, but they are darn cheap!! I am sure they will do the job, the question is really...how?;)

I recently drilled some holes in brass with 0.4mm drill bits. I used a handheld rotary tool, and it worked much better when I put some oil in the brass. The rotary tool spins at high rpm and the end of the bit waves. I set it deep in the collet to help reduce that, and used a punch to make a dimple in the brass to start the hole.

Carbide drill bits in the size you are using are a total waste of time energy and money. No matter how you uae them hand drilling or drill press, they break. Forget these 'faux' tools. Buy good quality HSS drills and learn how to sharpen them. The best tool to use as a drill press is a Sherline mill with their sensitive drilling attachment. If you con not et the drilling job done with that too, it probably can;t be done. These carbide drills wwere all the rage about 7 or 8 years ago. Everybody (including myself) was buying them. Everyone had total failure with them. Today, you can't even find any to buy, nobody wants them. HSS wii drill copper and brass. You need to use an oil to lube the hole. Copper and brass gall and cause friction problems. Can't be helped, so you need to use successful techniques. Drilling something on the ship is always a problem. Do ALL the drilling on the part before you mount it on the ship. ou hae discovered one of the most common difficult problems in ship modeling. The Dremel dill and their press IS NOT the answer. The answer is more complicated than that. Sherline is the best answer. However, most people do not want to spend the money. Buy a used unit. I did. Enough of this!

The Dremel dill and their press IS NOT the answer. The answer is more complicated than that. Sherline is the best answer. However, most people do not want to spend the money. Buy a used unit. I did. Enough of this!
I am sorry, Bill, but I have to disagree with you. Dremel tools are compatible products. They are made for all kinds of consumers and suitable for various tasks including drilling. Their price is Ok for most of us to buy.
Sherline made a very good line of tools, there is no question, but their tools are mills and lathes, those machines designed for a specific job like turning and milling. Also, can you compare the price of the Sherline product to a Dremel? Not even close. How many of us can afford Sherline, and actually need it for our hobby?

I am sorry, Bill, but I have to disagree with you. Dremel tools are compatible products. They are made for all kinds of consumers and suitable for various tasks including drilling. Their price is Ok for most of us to buy.
Sherline made a very good line of tools, there is no question, but their tools are mills and lathes, those machines designed for a specific job like turning and milling. Also, can you compare the price of the Sherline product to a Dremel? Not even close. How many of us can afford Sherline, and actually need it for our hobby?
I agree. I've used a Dremel in one form or another since 1974. I have 3. If I were interested in a mill or lathe, I'd go with an R8 and not a Sherline. I have plenty of experience on Bridgeports, Hardinge and DoAlls. Cannot justify the expense for my home shop.

Here's my two bits worth.........har,har........ had very good results with these,

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 23
OK MY 10 CENTS WORTH INFLATION, I HAVE LIKE 10 OR MORE DREMELLS MOSTLY 395 TYPE5, BUT ALSO 2 8220 CORDLESS, WHAT I DO IS GO TO EBAY ROTARY TOOLS GO DOWN THE LISTS YOU CAN PICK UP USED ONES FOR $10.00-$15.00 IF ONE BURNS OUT BREAKS ETC I JUST THROW IT AWAY DRMELLS ARE SO WELL MADE IT DOES NOT HAPPEN OFTEN AND IT CUTS DOWN ON CHANGING TOOLS ON MACHINES JUST PUT ONE IN EACH, M=Y THOUGHTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back