High Speed Miro Drills

HI JIM, I GOGGLED IT AND FOUND AN EBAY SITE JUST ORDERED A SET, $22.00 INCL SHIPPING, SORRY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GIVE LINKS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HI JIM, I GOGGLED IT AND FOUND AN EBAY SITE JUST ORDERED A SET, $22.00 INCL SHIPPING, SORRY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GIVE LINKS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Thanks, Don.Anyone interested here is the link

The suggestion to flatten the angle of the drill bit cutting edge is also good for drilling plastic without cracking out the back of the hole...... And my hat is off to any one who can sharpen a bit smaller than 1mm!

Ed

I will be drilling in very thin brass, and of course wood in regards to ship modeling--not very big stuff (as far as I can see at this point anyway).
...in regards to the ship modeling - give very broad tasks in relation to drilling. If you need to drill small holes on the deck for an eyebolt, it is one drilling task. If you need to drill holes for pintles in the rudder it is a completely different drilling task. Both tasks can be achieved with a small pin-wise or spiral push drill.

However, on the gugeon\pintle you need the holes inline, this will be a bit harder to make specifically drilling in the brass. You start drilling by hand to make a nice start, they use your cordless rotary tool (you have) to continue drilling at a very small speed with not too much force until you have done.

...in regards to the ship modeling - give very broad tasks in relation to drilling. If you need to drill small holes on the deck for an eyebolt, it is one drilling task. If you need to drill holes for pintles in the rudder it is a completely different drilling task. Both tasks can be achieved with a small pin-wise or spiral push drill.

However, on the gugeon\pintle you need the holes inline, this will be a bit harder to make specifically drilling in the brass. You start drilling by hand to make a nice start, they use your cordless rotary tool (you have) to continue drilling at a very small speed with not too much force until you have done.
Thank you so much--I own and have used a pin-vise, and I wish I thought to use it instead of my power drill. Perhaps there would not have been a problem.

Thank you so much--I own and have used a pin-vise, and I wish I thought to use it instead of my power drill. Perhaps there would not have been a problem.
What were the results from using the power drill? Broken bit? Too large of a hole? Both can be repaired. The resultant bore can be plugged, then a new hole re-drilled. There are solutions....

What were the results from using the power drill? Broken bit? Too large of a hole? Both can be repaired. The resultant bore can be plugged, then a new hole re-drilled. There are solutions....
Actually I used a wrong description--it's a Utool rotary tool and they (4 of them) were micro drills. I was trying to drill holes through a 0.6mm thick piece of brass (the drills can go through metal, that's why I assume I did something wrong to break them). From this forum I learned that a drill press or tool stand with my rotary tool attached to it is a better choice with less (not total) probability of breakage.

A press allows you to drill pepindicularly thereby not side loading a drill. But too much pressure will also cause the bit to deflect and break. For brass, consider using a punch (I use a Starrett spring-loaded punch w/carbide tip) to set the hole locations before drilling. Then I use a rotary tool (WeCheer - similar to Foredom) with hand pressure to drill through brass. Having a sharp bit helps. I haven't broken a bit as yet. I have a drill press if I need it.

Attachments

• 20210415_123916.jpg
    20210415_123916.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20210503-084936_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-084936_Chrome.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back