HMAV BOUNTY - A “face lift “

Hi Grant. I agree with all that has already been said about your project. I think that a refurb as complete as this would most likely be more difficult than starting from scratch, more credit to you for taking it on and giving us an unusual and very enjoyable account of your efforts.
Good morning Ken. Thanks for checking out this fun project. I think the reason why I completely shredded this model is just that- it is definitely easier to scratch build items than attempt a refurb.
wonderful photos….
Good morning. Thanks you
Cheers Grant

Hi Grant, good to see Justin is keeping you to account and on track :D.
Wood supply? There’s always parts from that dining table ROTF.
Good morning Roger. I know the Admiral would have me hung and quartered. Although I’m sure I could sneak tiny piece of the bottom base…… ROTF. Yep Justin won’t let me off the hook here. Cheers Grant

The level of craftmanship is just wonderful Grant!
Good morning Paul. Thank you kindly. I’m learning plenty from this little project. I think two of the most influential pointers for scratch building is - good wood and a sharp accurate cutting tool. I am going to invest in a good cutting tool (I really like yours) My POF must be good wood (walnut is too soft and furry to get those clean cuts and shapes). Thanks for the tips on Brass black I’m starting to get some items rather nice. Cheers Grant

Good morning Paul. Thank you kindly. I’m learning plenty from this little project. I think two of the most influential pointers for scratch building is - good wood and a sharp accurate cutting tool. I am going to invest in a good cutting tool (I really like yours) My POF must be good wood (walnut is too soft and furry to get those clean cuts and shapes). Thanks for the tips on Brass black I’m starting to get some items rather nice. Cheers Grant
I think you are on the right track regarding materials and tools. It seems some of the finer POF kits have a pear version you might find suitable. Happy the burnishing is working out - I noticed some nice hinges...

Always nice and interesting to see a restoration project, Grant. You showed a organized plan. It’s looking good.
Regards, Peter
Missed this restauration project. Wow you did a great job sofar. Interesting how you solve the pr9blems you encounter. A lot of fun and cheaper then to start a new build.
Good afternoon Peter and Stephan. It is loads of fun. I do enjoy making something from nothing so to speak. Suddenly my learning curve has shot up vertical and I realise the difference between kit playing and scratch building. I’m still way off as I’m not restoring to accurate scale (close enough) and ship design. Kudos to you guys. My POF I wanted is not made anymore so this fun project is a cool stop gap. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Peter and Stephan. It is loads of fun. I do enjoy making something from nothing so to speak. Suddenly my learning curve has shot up vertical and I realise the difference between kit playing and scratch building. I’m still way off as I’m not restoring to accurate scale (close enough) and ship design. Kudos to you guys. My POF I wanted is not made anymore so this fun project is a cool stop gap. Cheers Grant
What pof model were you looking for?

What pof model were you looking for?
Good morning Vic. I was keen to get the HMS Enterprise 1:48 kit. I see there is a dispute with this kit and CAF are not selling it until it is sorted.....may be a long time. There is one on ebay still but severely overpriced. It is not the only POF model so may do something different however I have not made up my mind on an alternative. Cheers Grant

Good morning Vic. I was keen to get the HMS Enterprise 1:48 kit. I see there is a dispute with this kit and CAF are not selling it until it is sorted.....may be a long time. There is one on ebay still but severely overpriced. It is not the only POF model so may do something different however I have not made up my mind on an alternative. Cheers Grant
I’ll be making the stern of the Fubbs later this year. It appears to be a partial pof. That will probably be the best way for me to start one.

WOW Grant
Beautiful renovation, it's looking fantastic.
I can't wait to see the final result.
With this quality she will look SUPERB.
Cheers

Back