HMB Endeavour

Thank you @LuigiSoft , @Rob. T. and @KeithLyall for your responses. I'll just give it a try then, and if necessary a second and a third one. At the moment the future bumpkins are being soaked.

Compared to the instructions for my first build, HMS Endurance (also by Occre), the Endeavour ones leave a lot to be desired. Sometimes the given measurements are downright wrong, or parts just don't fit. Examples of this are: the oversized width of the transom, the height of the capstan (no handspikes can de installed), the brackets for the swivel guns (as mentioned above by Trevor), the spacing of the columns and samson posts, the scale of the plans (not 1:1!), the passage for the rudder. Once you have determined this however you can anticipate and add it to the challenge. I wonder what I will encounter once the rigging has begun.

(PS: my apologies for calling you Luigi, Trevor)

View attachment 405678

View attachment 405679

Added some hours later:

View attachment 405680

View attachment 405681
Hi Mike,

your bumkins have turned out very well. You may want to coat stained wooden parts with a clear matt acrylic lacquer. Takes off the rough feel of naked wood.
I have started the rigging, and then stopped. The model is in dry dock and I hope to recommence after 1.5 years soon. Winter is coming and work in the garden has more or less come to a close, so I have a bit more time on my hands.

I agree with Keith, wait till you get to the rigging! It is a challenge and I have decided to dispense with the sails. If you're interested I have a 1:1 drawing of the ship, showing on to the port side only. Its a pdf document consisting of a number of pages, each DIN A4, which need to be sellotaped together. Occre sent me on request a full-sized drawing on one large sheet. I used this to compare dimensions on the hull with those in the build instructions. Many deviations, to say the least!

Trevor,
PS no apologies necessary for Luigi. I lived in Italy for 8 years and Luigi is almost my middle name :)

Hi Mike,

your bumkins have turned out very well. You may want to coat stained wooden parts with a clear matt acrylic lacquer. Takes off the rough feel of naked wood.
I have started the rigging, and then stopped. The model is in dry dock and I hope to recommence after 1.5 years soon. Winter is coming and work in the garden has more or less come to a close, so I have a bit more time on my hands.

I agree with Keith, wait till you get to the rigging! It is a challenge and I have decided to dispense with the sails. If you're interested I have a 1:1 drawing of the ship, showing on to the port side only. Its a pdf document consisting of a number of pages, each DIN A4, which need to be sellotaped together. Occre sent me on request a full-sized drawing on one large sheet. I used this to compare dimensions on the hull with those in the build instructions. Many deviations, to say the least!

Trevor,
PS no apologies necessary for Luigi. I lived in Italy for 8 years and Luigi is almost my middle name :)

I will certainly apply at least one layer of lacquer once the bumkins have completely dried (after lightly sanding with 600 grit). Until then I have clamped them (slightly overbent) because I already noticed the wood veering back. I prefer using a turpentine based varnish, but I must confess I can't support that with arguments apart from esthetic ones.

Did you decide to dispense with the sails because of the rigging? I must say I like Keith's solution: furled silkspan sails.
This 1:1 plan Occre provided you with, is it consistent with the dimensions of the actual parts?

boomkins_06.jpg

boomkins_07.jpg

Hi Mike,

yes indeed, I decided to dispense with the sails because of the rigging. I personally find the rigging too good to hide behind the sails, but eacht to their own.
I believe the drawing is consistent with the parts. The best thing is to contact Occre per Mail and request a copy of the drawing. Then you can judge for yourself.
I used excerpts of the drawing to determine the position of the rigging deadeyes relative to the masts on both sides of the hull .
Have a look at my build log. I have some images there of the course of action I took regarding the deadeyes

Trevor

Back