HMS Alert 1/72 scale from Shipyard

Дон Рикардо, добрый день. Обычно в комплекте идет масштабная схема модели. Размеры мачт и другой древесины можно убрать из этой схемы. Он должен быть на отдельном листе примерно формата А1.
translation?

translation?
Don Ricardo, good afternoon. Typically, the kit includes a scale model of the model. The dimensions of masts and other timber can be removed from this diagram. It should be on a separate sheet of approximately A1 size.

Don Ricardo, good afternoon. Typically, the kit includes a scale model of the model. The dimensions of masts and other timber can be removed from this diagram. It should be on a separate sheet of approximately A1 size.
That sheet did not come with the kit. That is why I asked for the proper dimensions.

Thanks, Jimsky. Back to this build. I messed up the main mast on length, but a trip to Hobby Lobby for a wooden dowel will fix that. Two of the rods that came with this kit were warped, something Hobby Lobby can correct too. The gun carriages are in, now need to blacken the barrels. The gun shop here has blueing, but not anything to blacken the brass, do you think the blueing would look realistic? Might have to mail order some of that blacking stuff.
While working the Alert, I am also doing rat lines for the Constitution...that gives a whole new meaning to the word "tedious!"

The gun shop here has blueing, but not anything to blacken the brass, do you think the blueing would look realistic?
Hello Don,

I am not familiar with blueing. I use Brass Black for all brass blackening. Alternatively, you can paint barrels, there many brands out there that have the 'gun' paint.

Thanks, Jimsky. Back to this build. I messed up the main mast on length, but a trip to Hobby Lobby for a wooden dowel will fix that. Two of the rods that came with this kit were warped, something Hobby Lobby can correct too. The gun carriages are in, now need to blacken the barrels. The gun shop here has blueing, but not anything to blacken the brass, do you think the blueing would look realistic? Might have to mail order some of that blacking stuff.
While working the Alert, I am also doing rat lines for the Constitution...that gives a whole new meaning to the word "tedious!"
I am partly using the fluid from Ballistol for blackening - better bluening
The results on brass is looking like this - like steel
IMG-6663a.jpg

Thanks, going after the blackening stuff at Centerline Hobbies tomorrow.
Question on the sails, are the lines glued onto the sails, sewn on or what?

How on earth do you get a line through those little blocks? A 5mm 5 hole block from the bow to the main mast? I drilled out the holes to 0.8 mm, the rope is 0.5mm. At that size I can rig the block, but the keel at the bow is too thick to get through with the rope. I'm afraid to drill any larger as the holes are close together, and I can find no needles that small.
Also, the kit's rigging is white! Any thoughts about soaking it in tea to get it more brown? I don't think the English used white lines.
I do have Syrene's rigging lines left over from the Connie.
Any word on Trident's 1/48 HMS Alert?
I think summer has bypassed Cape Cod this year. It's cold on the water! And windy! The HMS Alert must have loved this weather when they were stationed on our coast!

Last edited:
Complained to my wife about the block rigging and she said to go to Hobby Lobby and pick up some "beading needles" So I did. They work great, I wish I had known about them working on the Connie. They are really sharp, they split longitudinally and the rigging goes in between the two longitudinal lengths. No eyes to thread, and the thread doesn't pull out. And they pull the rigging lines through the block eyes with no trouble at all!
If you want to give them a try, they are in the jewelry making aisles.

This is for Donny. Thank you for the video on rigging the blocks, I don't know when you posted it but it was great.
I am doing the rat lines for my Constitution, and while using the channels that came with the kit, one of the modifications will be to make my own dead eyes, eliminating those plastic ones. I plan on the same for the fighting tops.
I have the Alert's main mast in and have started the standing rigging.
This is a good site, I have learned a lot so far from it and from the members in here, so thanks to all of you. I hope to be able to make as terrific a model of ships as I have seen in here. You guys do fantastic work!

The stay on the Alert has five holes in the bow keel for the stays, and uses a 5 hole deadeye for the rigging. I am used to three hole deadeyes, but not 5 holes deadeyes, and the rigging sheet on the Alert is woefully inadequate. So far I have not been able to find a diagram for 5 hole deadeyes, Campbell's Jackstay has no information on those dead eyes.
I am assuming that the Alert had a pair of stays, but am not sure as it is difficult to see from the instruction sheet if she had a single or double stay.

The stay on the Alert has five holes in the bow keel for the stays, and uses a 5 hole deadeye for the rigging. I am used to three hole deadeyes, but not 5 holes deadeyes, and the rigging sheet on the Alert is woefully inadequate. So far I have not been able to find a diagram for 5 hole deadeyes, Campbell's Jackstay has no information on those dead eyes.
I am assuming that the Alert had a pair of stays, but am not sure as it is difficult to see from the instruction sheet if she had a single or double stay.
Don Ricardo, is this what we are talking about?20210712_214224.jpg

Hello Don, Here is a detailed diagram for Forestay and Preventer stay from Alert drafts.

1626116661675.png

1626116699261.png

Hope this will clarify.

This snippet is from the AOTS book by P.Goodwin The Naval Cutter Alert 1777. A great read and a companion for building the model. Uwe made a review of this book some time back.

1626119895543.png

This snippet is from the AOTS book by P.Goodwin The Naval Cutter Alert 1777. A great read and a companion for building the model. Uwe made a review of this book some time back.

View attachment 243505

Cool, thanks! I'll be getting that! On the diagram you sent, H3/2, I had to make the #10 tie down out of black wire. Waiting for the glue to dry on that, then ready to rig the stay and the second line, the Preventer? Again, thanks for the assistance.
I just read an article on British and French ships, and one of the reasons given for the better performance of the British ships was that they started to copper clad their hulls while the French didn't. The French treasury was probably too deficient to afford the copper.

Question on the shrouds on the Alert. The kit directions show the shrouds attached to the tree with loops. Is that correct? On every sailing ship model I have done, the shrouds went in one piece from starboard, over the tree to port in one piece, beginning and ending at the deadeyes. They went under the stays.
I went to the local gun shop and got Brass Black for the barrels and belay pins. They were the only shop to carry it here.
There is also no sheer pole on the directions, is that correct for the Alert?

Back