HMS Alert 1/72 scale from Shipyard

Thanks again.
Ok, I've just about had it with the dead eyes ,that are three pieces glued together. They keep coming apart when the wire is applied, and I am using Aleene's Tack glue which has so far been a very good glue. I am tempted to buy wooden dead eyes for this. The dead eyes for the shrouds are 4mm.Would wooden replacements be the same size, 4mm?
I glued the dead eyes and let them sit for 24 hours before attempting to rig with them. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I am goofing up along the line.

After messing around with the dead eyes coming apart, I realized I was tightening the wire loop around them a bit to tight. The ones that separated were glued back together. I put pieces of copper wire through the holes to keep them properly aligned. When they dry, they will go into the channels.

I have some small clamps purchased from Harbor Freight Tools awhile ago. When I install shrouds, I do not tie them together under the hull, I put the clamps on the shrouds near the keel. This tensions the shrouds with out disturbing the masts, gravity doing all the work, and allows moving the shrouds out of the way at the same time. It helps aligning the dead eyes too. With the tension on the shrouds, marking them for the upper dead eyes is easy. I used this on my Constitution and it worked out well. (I like securing the shrouds after the other rigging is done as it allows keeping them out of the way)

On the sails, are the lines glued to the sails? Or sewn onto them?
Hello, Don. In short, the 'bolt' rope is sewn to the sail with thin thread and small stitches. Obviously sewing would be nicer to present, but on the small scale models it is acceptable gluing, IMHO.

1627577559845.png

I couldn't add any more photos so I deleted my Constitution photos, transferring them to my computer and was going
to load the Alert photos in that album but it won't take them, says I don't have enough space. Can you have more than one album? I also screwed this kit up, but am finishing any way as screw ups are how we learn...hopefully.
This is my first paper and card model, and not being used to handling paper. I bent and twisted the poop deck section. and the bow keel. The planking is a bit rough and I bent the bilge pumps. I did some repairs on the damaged portions and it's "ok", but you can see the repairs in the results, for instance the railings are not 100% And the bow keel in a mite off. I took some liberties too, making the gun carriages red, and the white stay lines black, as well as the shrouds. While doing this, I managed to bug Jimsky, who has helped a lot. Thanks Jimsky! I also found out that safety razor blades seem to be the best way to cut parts out.
And also not used to using acrylic paints. there are some terrific lifelike models in here....saying that with a tinge of jealosy.

Last edited:
Been fooling around with those dead eyes.It seems to be better to use super glue on them, not the fast setting super glue. The paper absorbs the super glue and gives a good hard bond.You might have to open the holes with a pin drill but the super glue bonds them together very well.

Hallo,
maybe it would be helpful, if you show us your model and the details you have problems, so we have a better possibility to assist with giving hints.
Do you have in the meantime the book of the Anatomy series, which was recommended? If yes, it would be possible to give hints refering to the drawings and sketches shown in the book

I deleted all my USS Constitution pictures to give me room to add the Alert pics, but now have nothing available. Add another album, or what?
Not an other album.
I wanted only to suggest, that you also once show your model in your building log
When we see your model, it is often easier to answer your questions are give hints and tipps.....

Question on the Alert.. The large aft sail looks like it would be furled if needed, but this kit has it attached to the mast by rope wound around the mast, making furling seem rather difficult Is this an accurate rendition? I would imagine tackle would be more practible.

Question on the Alert.. The large aft sail looks like it would be furled if needed, but this kit has it attached to the mast by rope wound around the mast, making furling seem rather difficult Is this an accurate rendition? I would imagine tackle would be more practible.
For such questions the Anatomy book is helping a lot

Spinnaker is mounted, moved the shrouds out of the way to facilitate the standing rigging. The main problem I ran into was building the hull, the planking is just "ok". Putty, like paint, covers a multitude of sins!
I'll be doing more of these paper kits, the first was a learning lesson, the second should come out better, I hope.

Building a dock and warehouse from scratch using card stock.
Could not see well enough to do the rigging with those little blocks, but new specs are supposed to be ready next week.

The Shipyard HMS Alert, in scale 1/72, just arrived from Ages of Sail, kit # ZL:001.
It looks like the only item that wasn't included was the glue. Everything else was, rigging lines, cannons, blocks, paint brushes and paints you name it...even directions!
I have on hand some Gorilla glue and Carpenter's Wood glue.
It looks like almost a similar build to a wooden one' except it's cardstock and paper.
Any suggestions for the glue?
Hallo Don Ricardo alias @11320 Titanic
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks Uwek.
I've been tied up for awhile, I had esophageal cancer about ten years ago, and it flared up again so it's been a round of chemo and radiation. Now it's back to work on the Alert, and I still haven't figured out how to post pix on SOS.
So far the cancer treatment has been effective.
Getting older has it's pitfalls!:rolleyes:

Back