HMS Discovery 1789 scratch build in 1:48

I tried some test pieces and it's obviously to soon to see any tarnishing but the solvents seem to wick around to the back of the pieces and loosen the adhesive, especially the alcohol (far right). I was using Q-tips to apply the solvent so I wasn't getting an excessive amount on them. I scrubbed them with a grey Scotch Brite pad first and that's what caused the second one to fold over(read clumsy operator :) )

DSC04752.JPG

I started this scratch build in January of this year(2021). I have built a few RC IOMs, the Cicely(a 1903 schooner), a gaff rigged clinker built skiff and a Chris Craft barrelback but this was the first POF from actual drawings. All were just out of my head except for the Cicely. I decided to build the Discovery because I live on Discovery Passage and about 220 years ago I could have seen her from the beach in front of my house. There are very few drawings available of the Discovery but there are enough to get the lines and a few general ideas off how she was fitted out. I also have a few drawings by John McKay That help me make better educated guesses as to what went where. It may not turn out to be an excellent rendition but I hope to think that if George Vancouver saw her he would he would recognize his old ship. I have read Vancouver's journal about three times(a very boring read by the way) looking for any info. All I really found was was how many and what kind of ships boats she carried. I started a log on MSW but that got stopped. You can see the earlier stages over there. As time goes by I may add some earlier photos into this post if I can figure out how.

So, I just finished planking the lower deck and that seemed like a good place to start the log. Nice clean slate with all the previous mistakes buried under the deck planking. I have been following Dan Vada's and Kevin Kenney's Swan builds just to get the general idea of how these things went together. I would have followed Stuglo's build more but I'm a little ahead of him. I like all the detail he includes, it helps me check my work. With the Swan class being a military ship and the Discovery being something else (she was purchased by the Navy just before launch) there are probably many slight differences but I figured that if the Navy accepted her she must have been close to their specs.

Anyway this is where she is now and I am messing with the forward cabins.

View attachment 259312
Hallo my friend,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Thank you guys. Sorry I'm late, I haven't been on here lately. I've had a cold or some kind of crud for almost a month now. Not Covid, I tested for that. Anyway today is the first day I've even looked at the Discovery for weeks. When I last worked on it I think I had finally figured out how to attach the upper deadeye on to the shroud. Now I've forgotten and have to figure it out again. Did I mention that I'm not enjoying rigging :)

Turning trucks using Dan Vada's method( a Dremel mandrel). Seems to work well. Split a few but I think it was a fault in the wood. Glad the Discovery doesn't have 74 guns:)

DSC04498.JPGDSC04499.JPG

Hi, Don, can you please elaborate on the method of "Dremel mandrel" turning of the carriage wheels? I was not able to figure it out by looking at these pictures.

Back