HMS Discovery 1789 scratch build in 1:48

Your getting some folks peed off with your methods of aging copper.....

Let us know if it works, like tar pitch, worked well but smelt awful for a while.

Speaking of going. I got looking at the head again and I just couldn't figure out how a man could safely climb off the forecastle down to the seats. In the first picture you can see that when he's standing on the bowsprit the rail is in is armpit. It would be very tough to climb up. (especially with no arms ;) ;)) Climbing down would be risky. So I started measuring. I discovered that somehow I had made the rail 2 feet to tall. I have no idea how I did that. I don't drink any more so I can't blame that. So to fix it I had to pull out all the timberheads. They were pinned in 3/16", it took a lot of soaking with alcohol before they came out. I only broke two and I had three spares. Then I had to soak off the rails back to the hance. It took a while but it wasn't difficult. The holes from the timberheads allowed the alcohol to get under the rail. Then it was just a matter of filing off the excess and putting everything back. I took some before and after pics. You can see now that the rail is just below his hip. It took about six hours but it makes it more believable.

DSC04741.JPGDSC04746.JPG

Last edited:
It's too shiny for me too. I'm testing ammonia and urine on some scrap pieces, but it's been two days and they haven't done anything yet. Do you have any suggestions?

I use Liver of Sulphur for aging the copper.

I use Liver of Sulphur for aging the copper.

How do you use it? Is it a paste or liquid?

Actually I have it in the state of a green paste that I dilute with some alcohol, apply it on the cotton pad and lightly apply to the copper. I do not have the one I posted above. Looks as they say it is in a form of gel. I imagine it should work same way.

Nothing seems to affect my copper. It seems to have a coating of some kind. I've rubbed it with no effect. I'm leery of using sandpaper or such as I'm afraid of catching corners. It's possible that it is tarnishing but it's so slow that I'm not noticing. I'm just in the transition to rigging. Very steep learning curve going from three dimensional parts to parts that almost have one dimension. I'll try to get some pictures up here soon. 50th wedding anniversary coming up on Thurs so I've been busy prepping for that.

Back