HMS Discovery 1789 scratch build in 1:48

Thank you John and Stephan. I actually have a lathe and milling machine so I'm not really tool poor. I don't use them that much as they are usually tied up as a thickness sander. Here's a little more trim added

DSC04603.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Planking is looking very good Don. Especially the tuck on your planks over the filling transoms looks great. Thumbsup

Disaster. When I hung the rudder I had forgotten(in my rush) to blacken the hinges. I tried a few things and ended up using a Sharpie to blacken. It worked OK so I forgot about it. When I finished the planking I noticed that the wood was getting a lot of finger marks on it so I figured it was time to shellac it. The shellac hit the Sharpied hinges and ran all up and down the rudder and the stern post area. I can't sand the area because the hinges are in the way. It has to come apart. The tiller is glued into the rudder and the tiller is all rigged so that the wheel actually works the rudder.

DSC04611.JPG

First step is to loosen the glue with IPA.

DSC04614.JPG

I drifted the tiller out of the with the hammer and a piece of bamboo skewer.

DSC04615.JPG

Things went well so far but I did have to cut away that piece of the transom. That may be a problem to fix. Now I can take the hinges off the rudder and sand everything. Then I can blacken the hinges and hopefully get it back together nicely.

Congratulations finishing the hull planking - looking very good

Because the tiller was tied inside the ship I had to push it in to put the rudder in. Once the rudder was in I couldn't get hold of the tiller. I glued each end of a piece of strong thread to each side of the tiller making a loop. Hopefully I can hook the loop through the hole in the rudder and then pull the tiller into place. I fixed up the damage I had done trying to get the rudder out. As it turned out I didn't have to do that damage so that was a shame but it's not too bad. After some glue dries we'll see if my plan works.

DSC04616.JPG

The ships wheel was one of the tougher builds. Doing it wasn't too bad but figuring out how to do it took the better part of a week. I couldn't give the spokes any shape, just not good enough on the lathe to turn stuff that small. It does operate the rudder but it's a lot stiffer than I would like. The Helmsman is 5' tall.

DSC04627.JPGDSC04628.JPGDSC04629.JPG

Back