HMS Discovery 1789 scratch build in 1:48

Thanks, I feel better now :). During the earlier parts of the build, I had a .75" plastic wheel that I used for mock ups. I guess I got used to that size and when I read in Goodwin that most wheels were 5' dia (approx) it looked huge. I'll get used to it.

Thanks, I feel better now :). During the earlier parts of the build, I had a .75" plastic wheel that I used for mock ups. I guess I got used to that size and when I read in Goodwin that most wheels were 5' dia (approx) it looked huge. I'll get used to it.
As bigger the wheel was, it was easier to turn the wheel by the helmsman (leverage)

I've been working on the coppering the hull. On the side where I have the frames exposed, I'm trying to show the construction, so I have the frames, then the planking, a layer of deal(fir), a layer of tar and then the copper. Do you think this works or is it confusing?

DSC04678.JPGDSC04679.JPGDSC04680.JPG
I also have to apologize for the quality of this build. It started out poor and then went downhill. I guess my only excuse is that I would rather be building than writing.

I've been working on the coppering the hull. On the side where I have the frames exposed, I'm trying to show the construction, so I have the frames, then the planking, a layer of deal(fir), a layer of tar and then the copper. Do you think this works or is it confusing?

View attachment 339803View attachment 339804View attachment 339805
I also have to apologize for the quality of this build. It started out poor and then went downhill. I guess my only excuse is that I would rather be building than writing.
Hi Don,
Looks alright to me bit on the shinny side for my liking, but that's a personal choice, not confusing to me.

And it's your model, I am quite sure you are being a bit harsh in you self assessment.

Cheers,
Stephen.

It's too shiny for me too. I'm testing ammonia and urine on some scrap pieces, but it's been two days and they haven't done anything yet. Do you have any suggestions?
I guess it depends on what sort of finish you are looking for but I would try vinegar for starters, simply not sealing it and waiting for natural oxidation to occur.

I'm not sure if there is/was a coating on the copper tape that I used. I burnished it quite aggressively with a spoon after I stuck it down and it conducts electricity so I'm hoping it will tarnish. I'll try a test piece with vinegar. Does it react fairly quickly or is it a month long type thing.

I'll try a question on here. I'm working on the stern and I noticed on this contemporary pen and ink drawing that there is quite a curve in the stern lights across the ship. I think this drawing is quite a bit vertically exaggerated. So the question is does the curve on the windows match the round up on the deck?

View attachment 321585
Hi Don,
I'm just getting caught up with your build log. I'm wondering if what is bothering you in this picture is the structure above the stern galleries? The illustration is of Discovery as a prison hulk, and everything above the stern windows (at least two decks) have been added as extra accommodation (cells?) If you haven't seen it, the full illustration is reproduced in the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Discovery_(1789)) and shows how much the poor ship has been mutilated to "accommodate" the prisoners.

I knew it was a hulk and everything above the taffrail is added on prison cells. It was just the curve of the stern lights that I was questioning. It's a moot point now, that ship has long sailed but thanks for the post :)

Channels and chainplates. These were fiddly and took a long time. Had to learn to silver solder and then make and solder close to 150 joints. All of them are made but only one side is complete. Waiting for some tiny copper nails. The last nail I used was the last one I had.

View attachment 350293View attachment 350294
Hi Don,
Great work, the resalt looks like it was worth the effort. Thumbsup

Cheers,
Stephen.

View attachment 339803View attachment 339804View attachment 339805
I think that is original, interesting and artistic. Stick with it

Back