HMS Enterprize 1/96 card model from Shipyard

Hello,

I’m starting my first my paper ship this morning and my first build thread on this forum. The kit came on a bunch of large sheets of different weights. Some have to be glued to .5mm or 1mm cardstock. I’m scanning in each sheet then I’ll print them on the appropriate thickness of paper. That way if I screw up a part I’ll have a backup. If I do this right, I’ll still have all the original sheets completely uncut. A new kit still! That’s one of the benefits of paper. I plan on using very thin wood veneer for the decking and any other place where actual wood is visible. I’ll use paper of various thicknesses for any parts that get painted. This is truly a mixed media kit. When it’s done I don’t want it to look like a paper kit. I also want to experiment with some mold making and casting for some of the repetitive parts like the cannons, the cradle things that the cannons sit in (I still have a lot to learn about ships, lol), and for some of the fittings that are all over the ship. Today I’m going to start on the little boats. I figured this will be a fun way to ease into this huge project, and they look really cool.

I know I’ll have lots of questions along the way and I appreciate any help I can get. I’m not new to modeling and I’m not new to working with paper, but I am new to ship modeling. I’m going to take this slow and work on one bit at a time. I’m treating this like a bunch of smaller kits so I don’t get overwhelmed and burnt out. Thank you in advance, I know I’ll be bugging you guys!

-George

View attachment 135947View attachment 135948View attachment 135949
Hallo George, alias @Pgtaylorart
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I’m spending the day locked indoors working on my ship model. Not a bad way to spend the day!

Oh, someone else is building a model of Shipyard here, I like that! Good luck with it - the boat looks great!

Thanks! I’ve studied your build pretty thoroughly. I’m building the 1/96 version that isn’t laser cut and the instructions leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully I won’t make too many mistakes, but this is my first ship model and it’s definitely not a beginner kit!

It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update so here’s my progress so far. I have the basic hull done. I covered it with paper as described in the instructions then I covered it with bondo. I then sanded it to get clean lines. I think that’s called “fairing”. Please correct me if I’m wrong. At this point, the deck and gratings aren’t glued down yet, but that’s probably obvious.

A9A3796A-F196-49BC-88DE-17B9057705BA.jpegDAB95A77-6DED-4AAB-8349-35D7145FF44F.jpegFC93A9F5-9FEF-4277-874A-B56B766119ED.jpeg

Next I planked the decks with self adhesive faux wood contact paper, a method I learned from Doris. I added treenails using paint and a fine brush. I then built the gratings with laser cut wood I bought from Model Shipways. I built the grating frames (or whatever they’re called) from paper and again, covered them with the contact paper. Finally, I inlaid the checkerboard flooring with two colors of wood contact paper. That was a real PITA and it probably won’t even be seen, lol. I included a photo showing the printed paper kit deck and the one I planked with contact paper. I think the difference is worth the extra effort.

4E3E31FB-EFDC-4DDE-9B07-CA1A953E2D7A.jpegC8F4A455-73A2-44D3-8941-1094F8DCD209.jpeg42200661-13F0-4724-9E13-D0697A9C1EF6.jpeg9A995B08-4893-41BA-A72D-6B5BB97A9A22.jpegD2711A6D-A645-4050-AB00-F54D922A7DC8.jpegBE1E1B92-A470-4F99-B159-924C5424715A.jpeg

I think that’s called “fairing”. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Hello Pgtaylorart, great to see you are back and continue with the build. Great job! Thumbsup You have asked to correct you, so I am gladly doing it. 'Fairing' is the method to 'bevel' the adjacent bulkheads to produce a smooth transition between all bulkheads\frames. So if you take a long enough ruler or wooden strip and one end touch on the bow and another on the stern, you should see the smooth line, without any gaps or bumps. :) I have question to you: What is Bondo?

Jim, thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it! It’s like learning a whole new language when building a ship model for the first time.

Bondo is a red putty that sands very easily and is used for window glazing and small repairs. It’s available in the US in automobile parts stores. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos of my ship before I applied the grey primer.

661F51F2-6655-4A01-B44C-C3C3C48F9536.jpeg

Jim, thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it! It’s like learning a whole new language when building a ship model for the first time.
Exactly!! This is all about an open forum like SOS. Earlier, I teach you a lesson, now you teach me. We learn from each other! :) I am wondering, how this putty will behave overtime on the paper base. How thin is the 'Bondo' layer? Many thanks for the lesson! BTW, learning ship parts - it is its own language ;)

As I have got the 1/72 kit on my cardboard pile I like to sit beside and watch your progress, too. (My idea is to copy these model as the over-idealistic Marshall paintings do show it to us.) What is your goal?

Keep calm and build modelships!

Chris

Hi,

I finally have an update to my HMS Enterprize, but lately I’ve been working with 3D modeling and my new Elegoo Mars Pro resin printer. I’m using Maya 3D to make details like cannons and their carriages, as well as other deck furniture like the belfry, binnacle, ship’s wheel, etc. I’m very happy with the results I’m getting with my Mars Pro. It was only $300 and the quality is outstanding. I’m so impressed with how fine the detail is. It’s actually finer than most injection molding I’ve seen!

Cheers!
George

Here are some pics...

5A8D6E7D-2387-46C9-875B-5E8DE82818B5.jpegF646E9B7-CCE2-4C6D-AD63-1849FEAD89C1.jpeg548502B2-F3CD-440E-A25B-4585798A3814.jpeg9E1150F4-D63B-4B11-90AE-BF96318B12BF.jpeg9104BB21-670B-42BA-85B9-1CE5999EE964.jpeg9FCA6C0F-5944-4898-AD96-2664CFFFA00F.jpeg

Hello,

I’m starting my first my paper ship this morning and my first build thread on this forum. The kit came on a bunch of large sheets of different weights. Some have to be glued to .5mm or 1mm cardstock. I’m scanning in each sheet then I’ll print them on the appropriate thickness of paper. That way if I screw up a part I’ll have a backup. If I do this right, I’ll still have all the original sheets completely uncut. A new kit still! That’s one of the benefits of paper. I plan on using very thin wood veneer for the decking and any other place where actual wood is visible. I’ll use paper of various thicknesses for any parts that get painted. This is truly a mixed media kit. When it’s done I don’t want it to look like a paper kit. I also want to experiment with some mold making and casting for some of the repetitive parts like the cannons, the cradle things that the cannons sit in (I still have a lot to learn about ships, lol), and for some of the fittings that are all over the ship. Today I’m going to start on the little boats. I figured this will be a fun way to ease into this huge project, and they look really cool.

I know I’ll have lots of questions along the way and I appreciate any help I can get. I’m not new to modeling and I’m not new to working with paper, but I am new to ship modeling. I’m going to take this slow and work on one bit at a time. I’m treating this like a bunch of smaller kits so I don’t get overwhelmed and burnt out. Thank you in advance, I know I’ll be bugging you guys!

-George
Hallo George alias @Pgtaylorart
Birthday-Cake

Hello,

-George
Hallo George alias @Pgtaylorart
Birthday-Cake

Hello Pgtaylorart
Looking at your build with a lot of interest.
Seeing your build has inspired me. I have no paper building experience at all. I have a wooden shed/workshop so apart from removing the clutter there is nothing stopping me from starting up.
The last comment was 3 years ago. Are you still active?

Back