Administrator
Forum Moderator

Kit Review: PART 1
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
in scale 1:48
by CAF model

Beginning with this year we were already able to see the highly interesting kit of the Granado section model

02.jpg

and since some months we were able to follow the development of this amazing kit in one of our topics

-> so we all want now to see the final content of the finished kit, which I recieved short time ago

The kit is offered directly via CAF-web-page in 3 sessions or parts

Overview of the parts / Sessions

Session 1:
with jig, keel and frames - already available

Unbenannt4.JPG

Session 2: with the complete interior plus deck beams - already available

IMG-7638.jpg

Session 3: superstructure - planned for March 2022

The size of the CAF model in scale 1:48 when finished completely masted and rigged

size.JPG

at the end, with all three parts the kit, the model will have approximately the content like the well known model at the NMM

l5780_001.jpg

l5780_003.jpg

Granado_bomb_vessel_model1.jpg

and the great add on on this model will be the possibility, that the modeler can also separate the hull in a similar way like the above shown model.
The frames are prepared in such a way, that the upper part can me separated from the lower part

Unbenannt2.JPG

Unbenannt1.JPG

So during the next days I will step by step show you the content of the kit and give finally also some further historical information about the ship

Kit Review: PART 2
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Package

The kit comes safe and careful packed in one covering box, wrapped completely with adhesive tape - so definitely no damage can happen and also no moisture can enter during the very short transport time (my box took only 5 days from China to Austria)

Inside the cover box we can find 3 sealed cardboard boxes - 2 boxes for session 1 and 1 box for session 2

IMG-7567.jpg

IMG-7568.jpg

So let us take a look inside ..... it is like christmas, when you are allowed to open the boxes .....

Kit Review: PART 3
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Box 1 of Session 1 - Content

On the label we can see a 3-D animation of the finished framed hull
IMG-7569.jpg

Inside we find extra sealed and with folio wrapped the wooden sheets with laser cut elements

IMG-7570.jpg

a first overview of the wooden sheets

IMG-7571.jpg

Now let us take a closer look at the different types

Here first the sheets with 3D-CNC cuts - very accurate prepared

IMG-7572.jpg

IMG-7573.jpg

The laser cut sheets

IMG-7574.jpg

and now we come to the frame elements - shown in groups according the thickness of the timber - here sheet typ "3"

IMG-7575.jpg

a close up showing the very fine and accurate laser cuts - also the beveling lines are marked with the laser

IMG-7576.jpg

the sheets type "4" have a different thickness

IMG-7577.jpg

IMG-7578.jpg

and the sheets of type "5" - once more with a different thickness

IMG-7579.jpg

IMG-7580.jpg

We can recognize, that the quality of the timber is very high - very fine grain, no colour differences in the same sheet / same element, no knotholes or other damages inside the wood and every cuts are made with a very fine laser

All together we are getting within the first box appr. 14cm of timber sheets

IMG-7581.jpg

BTW: I love the smell of the timber when you open such a wrapping - Immediately I would like to start .......

Kit Review: PART 4
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

One very special detail of this kit is the fact, that the hull framing is build by single, double and even triple frames

Here a short excerpt of the top view drawing with the finished frames

you can see at this area of the hull from left to right a single frame (red), a triple frame (green) and two double frames (blue)

and you can see the steps (parked with purple) where the width of the individual frames is reduced (from floor timber via the futtocks to the top timbers) - see also the already mentioned different types of width of the sheets

IMG-7602 frmaes.jpg

Here some interesting photos of the CAF- model

Unbenannt frames.JPG

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:
Kit Review: PART 5
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Box 2 of Session 1 - Content

On the label we can see a 3-D animation of the jig

IMG-7582.jpg

Inside we find extra sealed and with folio wrapped the wooden sheets with laser cut elements and on top a sealed bag with drawings

IMG-7583.jpg

IMG-7584.jpg

Overview of the wooden parts

IMG-7585.jpg

Let us take a closer look at the plywood elements of the jig - all parts made out of high quality plywood

IMG-7586.jpg

IMG-7587.jpg

IMG-7588.jpg

IMG-7589.jpg

The jig looks like a small project inside the project - at the end it will look like this animation shows

Unbenannt4.JPG

In addition we can find in this box some smaller CNC - prepared elements

IMG-7590.jpg

IMG-7591.jpg

IMG-7592.jpg

Kit Review: PART 6
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Manual and Drawings of Session 1

IMG-7593.jpg

The Manual

First of all let us take a look at the Manual. A lot of pages with animated colored sketches and english text, showing in detail the principles and also details of how the keel and the frames have to be installed - easy to understand

IMG-7594.jpg

IMG-7595.jpg

IMG-7596.jpg

and very helpful the CAF-typical content list of the different wooden sheets marking every individual element and part - no part numbers are printed on the parts -> the modeler has to find them via these sketches in the manual - I like this way very much

IMG-7597.jpg

On the web-page from CAF you can find additional examples (in better quality than my photos) of the manual - take a look under "INSTRUCTIONS"

The Drawings

On one bigger drawing sheet you can find the frame drawing of every individual frame - showing also the beveling lines in red and green colors

IMG-7598.jpg

IMG-7599.jpg

On another sheet we can find all necessary information about the keel and the location of every frame in a longitudinal cross section and also top view.
All drawings and details are shown in 1:1 like the model

IMG-7600.jpg

Some closer look

IMG-7601.jpg

IMG-7602.jpg

IMG-7603.jpg

I feel confident, that all necessary information to build keel and the frame work are given in the manual and the drawings

Kit Review: PART 7
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

There is another very special possibility the kit is presenting to the modeler. The modeler can decide, if he wants to separate the upper from the lower part of the hull, somehow like the already shown model of the NMM. It will be up to the individual decision by each modeler to try to mkae this or also not.

A cut appr. in the height of the waterline, so that the interior elements are better visible

l5780_004.jpg

But the idea by CAF is not only to make a horizontal clean cut, but to devide all frames the top timbers from the futtocks

Unbenannt2.JPG

Unbenannt1.JPG

12.jpg

Here some excerpts of the manual where some examples are shown

6db0250e2b.jpg

0b7f29e995.jpg

But this should be considered very well, especially when I read the words by CAF

6db0250e2b 11.jpg

It will be a challenge, but definitely it will look great

Last edited:
Kit Review: PART 8
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Box of Session 2 - Content

On the label we can see a 3-D animation of the POF-hull with the interior works

IMG-7606.jpg

on top a bag with some more drawings and the second manual

IMG-7607.jpg

once more as usual everything inside is wrapped in folio to avoid moisture

IMG-7608.jpg

and the overview of the complete content

IMG-7609.jpg

high quality laser cut plywood for the templates necessary for the interior works

IMG-7610.jpg

here you can see the CNC-prepared sheets with f.e. deck beams (incl notches for the carlings)

IMG-7611.jpg

close up photo - also here very accurate milling works on very good quality timber

IMG-7612.jpg

laser cut sheets with thick stuff and other inner planking

IMG-7613.jpg

mainly interior floors (decks), walls and bulkheads

IMG-7614.jpg

I could not find any flaws - very accurate prepared

IMG-7615.jpg

some other smaller CNC prepared sheets

IMG-7616.jpg

with this box you are getting once more 15cm of timber sheets in different thicknesses

IMG-7617.jpg

The wooden strips and dowels of the kit

IMG-7618.jpg

very good quality, accurate sawn

IMG-7619.jpg

IMG-7620.jpg

IMG-7621.jpg

and also some small bags with nails, mortar balls and some smaller cnc-cut parts

IMG-7623.jpg

Kit Review: PART 9
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

The oven is part of the kit, but good to know, that you can order this one (and another) separatly from CAF - maybe also interesting for other projects

IMG-7624.jpg

IMG-7630.jpg

IMG-7625.jpg

IMG-7626.jpg

IMG-7627.jpg

IMG-7628.jpg

IMG-7629.jpg

Also incuded in the kit is one Photo etched brass sheet with some hinches

IMG-7631.jpg

IMG-7632.jpg

Kit Review: PART 10
HMS GRANADO (1742)
complete full hull model
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

And the last contents of the session 2 are the second manual and the drawing

IMG-7633.jpg

The manual is organized in the same way like in the session 1

IMG-7634.jpg

IMG-7635.jpg

IMG-7636.jpg

IMG-7637.jpg

IMG-7638.jpg

and the drawing

IMG-7639.jpg

In order to compare the size of the new kit of the Granado with my known Le Coureur

IMG-7640.jpg

IMG-7641.jpg

Thanks for your kind words about the review.....
These high quality kits from CAF are worth to show in all details, only than you can get a real good feeling about the quality of timber and parts...

Due to the fact, that I am waiting now for the sails of my Le Coureur (a friend will make them for me) I will stop working on my actual project when the hull and deck elements are completely done. So all the rope works, masting and rigging will be restarted when the sails are available.

So therefore I am just in the brainstorming process to decide which model will be next......

Due to the fact, that I have also the CAF section model of the HMS Granado, I am in moment just thinking to add for some weeks this one - I guess in 3 to 4 months the section could be finished ......

Thanks for your kind words about the review.....
These high quality kits from CAF are worth to show in all details, only than you can get a real good feeling about the quality of timber and parts...

Due to the fact, that I am waiting now for the sails of my Le Coureur (a friend will make them for me) I will stop working on my actual project when the hull and deck elements are completely done. So all the rope works, masting and rigging will be restarted when the sails are available.

So therefore I am just in the brainstorming process to decide which model will be next......

Due to the fact, that I have also the CAF section model of the HMS Granado, I am in moment just thinking to add for some weeks this one - I guess in 3 to 4 months the section could be finished ......

Uwe you also have the Alert kit from Trident

Back