HMS Grimsby-Constructo 1:65

The plans looked like the straight pc of sapele on the back stopped and didn’t run through. I wasn’t sure.i made them cocontinue through.

Last edited:
I missed two details on the first mast I built, it’s missing the two small stiffeners I guess they are? And a brass pulley on each side of the top mast In a Walnut u shaped case. You can see here how much smaller the last platform I made up is image.jpg

The instructions say, make the mast square to accept platform, that’s it. I found a pic in a book, is this even the way they did the bottom mast, I ran it in a table saw, turned it 4 times. I didn’t crank the blade all the way up, so there’s more to clean up, it’s 5 mm now. I thought of making a small router table and do it that way, how do you guys square off the mast. I don’t have a small face sander, I still have to clean it up a bit. Then put 4 thin deck planks on it. image.jpg

Last edited:
Well...my way is rather extreme (how others say), but I made the mast by two or more (depends on the mast) pieces: square and round. This was developed only because I cannot paint. :( I use two types of wood: black hornbeam for square and Pear for the round stocks. In my case, I rounded all parts, but you will leave them square as needed. Below some pictures of the process.

IMG_0407.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0409.JPEG

IMG_0410.JPEG

IMG_0436.jpeg

I’ve been using pics from this book I copied years ago. I don’t even remember who had the book or the name of it. It was a small book
Constructo made the Tressel trees, just the cross trees had to be cut
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good as you progress, book references look great, to bad no title or heading for use on searches to figure its origin.

Were all mast platforms planked one direction, I see some change direction in the center. Maybe it’s a Country or time period thing, it’s too late now, the platforms are all planked.
the print shows the top of that mast going back round to fit in the mast cap. The hole gets covered, so I may just file a square hole in this mast Cap.
a buddy makes pens on a little lathe, that lathe would be the ticket for rounding these dowels. Maybe?

Last edited:
I had a little time today to work on the mast, trying to keep square and level is critical on the platforms.
I put it in a bench block upside down I made in high school machine shop. Maybe you guys got a better way to glue it up all square.
a hull plank was perfect spacing between.D3B8FFEC-48C0-4624-AA51-B955574F57B0.jpeg1359ED92-D78C-48A2-AFA5-8C75B51643A5.jpeg

Last edited:
It came out nice. this is the 2nd mast I’m working on, one to go, again the mast cap provided doesn’t work. Lucky I have some sapele to cut one from. i cut a long pc on a tablesaw. Looks like a 1/4’ hole. It’s a little loose. Maybe a metric size would be closer. I need to pick up an index.

67AF5209-4E98-45C7-9CAF-451EEF62C226.jpeg294124AF-16E0-45E5-BAFB-D73848BC3AF1.jpeg37654199-0EA5-4CFE-8A30-22CE3A91E693.jpeg

Last edited:
this time I made 2 holes w/ brad point Drills, you get a clean hole and a good center that doesn’t veer off when you drill, years ago I bought this nice Austrian set before all the China suff started to come over. I drilled a 1/4” and a 3/16 hole then I filed the 3/16 hole square with a small Xacto square file, it gets a cover anyway You won’t see the square hole. Last mast I went round, to square then back to round, this was a lot easier.

0A19BA55-7844-4A2D-865E-AFC9962FBEEB.jpeg9E45F018-AD22-4919-8CED-6D5E8E0B0CD8.jpeg442B7D41-92C4-4B7C-AC85-4141C0986363.jpeg

Last edited:
What would have went here where the anchor rests on the hull, the box just shows a pc of plywood, like the under deck was made of, I used a scrap of mahogany from one of the curved stair cases, it just doesn’t look rite. I don’t have any thin strips of Samba, the contrasting wood in the kit?

61A5CC1C-E6F8-4DBA-B5B8-F558DA02824D.png

Back