HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

Hi Zoltan,
You are a master in planking but i want to ask something if you don't mind. Why don't you use drop plank at the bow?
Thanks Mustafa,but I am far to be a master,this is the first layer of the planking so I did not bother with such a detail.

Great progress, Zoly! I can’t wait to see the second layer of planking.

Mustafa: There is controversy about drop planks and stealers. Some say using them means your planking skills aren’t the best. I think that’s nonsense, but it IS an accomplishment to plank that hull without using them. Great work, Zoly!

Great progress, Zoly! I can’t wait to see the second layer of planking.

Mustafa: There is controversy about drop planks and stealers. Some say using them means your planking skills aren’t the best. I think that’s nonsense, but it IS an accomplishment to plank that hull without using them. Great work, Zoly!
Thanks Doc. I am not a master. But i can see that at the end of some planks the width of planks look less than 1/2 of full plank. That's why i asked. And i didn't know the model had double layers.

Last edited:
Guess the use of them is depending on the shape of the hull a full bodied round bow will need them where to the extreme a sharp clipper bow will not use them with all variations in between.
I might have made the garboard plan too long at the bow ,a little bit shorter would have made all the planks below to curve mor naturally I guess

Oh...Zolly, I love the finishing planking stage and my hands are itchy to sand out the hull... just to see how does it look! Your port side looking good and even. This should be a good background to finish planking. I forgot if I asked you about treenails, Are you planning treenailing the hull?

Oh...Zolly, I love the finishing planking stage and my hands are itchy to sand out the hull... just to see how does it look! Your port side looking good and even. This should be a good background to finish planking. I forgot if I asked you about treenails, Are you planning treenailing the hull?
Thank you Jim,I will decide later on treenailing

It is looking very good my friend - Thumbs-Up
Thanks Uwe!

Back