HMS Ontario - MarisStella 1:48 by Don Robinson

@Donnie Thanks, I'm hoping I find a good solution to this
@DocBlake Hey Dave, it would be quite the challenge building the transom from scratch
@TechTrek Hi Chris, a removable one would be very interesting
@PT-2 Thanks Rich; those are not spray cans they are just bottles of cheap acrylic paint from Michaels, then painted by brush without masking
@Brian077 Great of you to stop by Brian! Thanks

As everyone else today, just catching up on your build because, yesterday, I was shoveling the 15 inches of snow here in CT. I must say you are doing a wonderful job. The stern painting is perfect. Looking forward to see how you tackle the planking and keeping the stern on. Enjoying you build. Mike

Hello Don, Just catching up on your build you sure are flying along these days. Very interested in your open deck concept. You have did a wonderful job on your stern transom, May I ask what type of glue you used to add your wood planks to the plastic transom?
Regards Lawrence

Good Morning @Canoe21 , thanks for stopping by. I used ca glue for the simple reason there is a slight convex curve to the transom and I thought it would be very difficult using pva glue and clamping all the while trying to keep the curve. The pva glue I use is Weldbond which is supposed to be good for plastics also, but I have never tried it yet with plastic or resin. When I get further ahead with the build I will try gluing some scrap pieces together with pva glue and let you know how it works.

Hey everyone, Thanks to all of you who left comments, likes and just simply stopped in this is all so good.
The update today is rather small but at least it's going forward. :)
View attachment 196618
So here pay attention to piece 7.1, take note of the planking that needs to be added to the top of it. I did not take note of this and had to plank it when it was glued into position.
View attachment 196619
And here it is planked and looking not too bad, right? NOT. It needs to be taken out and moved ahead one bulkhead further forward. Had I noticed this beforehand the planking would have been much easier!!!
View attachment 196620
Here it is in the proper place, at least now the future ladder will have a place to rest.

View attachment 196621
Next is the false floor, this is a sheet of solid wood that is pre-cut. I am not sure what the slits are for but I'm thinking it is to help with the bending required to get them into place.
View attachment 196622View attachment 196623View attachment 196624
These last pictures are showing the dry fitting. The pieces need to be slid in from the rear, under all the bulkhead tops. A little fine tuning was required but nothing serious.

View attachment 196625
Port side installed

View attachment 196626
Floor completed, there were just a couple of very small high spots that needed a little sanding. That's the homemade sanding tool I used to reach under the bulkhead tops
View attachment 196627
Finally I wanted to show how I braced the floor. There were a couple of spots were the slits in the floor were just barely resting on the tops of the bulkheads so I reinforced these spots with some scrap pieces of planking. Not a big deal, I just thought it maybe worthy of showing.
Until next time Thanks Again for stopping in!
Hi Don, I’ve just picked up on your build, finding it very interesting and one which I’ll be eagerly awaiting updates on your progres. I’m aboard for the full voyage.

Ken

@Ken , Hello Ken, I am a big fan of your work so to have you here is just fantastic! Not so sure it will be the same quality as your workmanship but I guarantee I will have fun trying. :);)
Hi Don, Thank you for that kind compliment though I feel that it’s not completely justified. I think that your building is easily as good as mine and in some ways better, I’m not as methodical as you and tend to rush into things only having to correct them, I probably have more filler in my stash than most, you don’t get to see those bits. I think that many modellers on this site think that others are better but they belittle their efforts and it is in fact only the few that really excel. I think that I will learn as much from you as you do from me. Nice workshop you have there, a real mans den. Keep up your good post.

Ken

Hey everyone, Thanks to all of you who left comments, likes and just simply stopped in this is all so good.
The update today is rather small but at least it's going forward. :)
View attachment 196618
So here pay attention to piece 7.1, take note of the planking that needs to be added to the top of it. I did not take note of this and had to plank it when it was glued into position.
View attachment 196619
And here it is planked and looking not too bad, right? NOT. It needs to be taken out and moved ahead one bulkhead further forward. Had I noticed this beforehand the planking would have been much easier!!!
View attachment 196620
Here it is in the proper place, at least now the future ladder will have a place to rest.

View attachment 196621
Next is the false floor, this is a sheet of solid wood that is pre-cut. I am not sure what the slits are for but I'm thinking it is to help with the bending required to get them into place.
View attachment 196622View attachment 196623View attachment 196624
These last pictures are showing the dry fitting. The pieces need to be slid in from the rear, under all the bulkhead tops. A little fine tuning was required but nothing serious.

View attachment 196625
Port side installed

View attachment 196626
Floor completed, there were just a couple of very small high spots that needed a little sanding. That's the homemade sanding tool I used to reach under the bulkhead tops.
View attachment 196627
Finally I wanted to show how I braced the floor. There were a couple of spots were the slits in the floor were just barely resting on the tops of the bulkheads so I reinforced these spots with some scrap pieces of planking. Not a big deal, I just thought it maybe worthy of showing.
Until next time Thanks Again for stopping in!
Hello Don,
I was wondering: how does he get that floor under those ‘bridges’? But aha, it is in two halves. Clever!
Nice build to follow. And you have a nice working aria.
Regards, Peter

Thanks everyone for checking things out, much appreciated!
I finally have a long overdue update on the HMS Ontario. Another lady, the Bluenose, has been taking up much of my time lately.
At any rate here is where I stand as of this morning:
IMG_3746.JPG
I decided in order to mount the transom in a secure permanent fashion I would make some knees to hold it in place. Here I am shaping them on the spindle sander.

IMG_3750.JPG
Drilling nail holes on the mill

IMG_3751.JPG
The knees installed, I am not totally happy with these but they will now have to do. I could not decide at the time whether to have them as is or to make them so they were lower than the yellow moulding. I'm thinking now they should have been a little shorter. They won't really be seen so it is not a big deal but I do have another idea to help hide them, which I will show you next time.

IMG_3755.JPG
Planking the interior

IMG_3767.JPG
I'm guessing with this picture I was just making sure you noticed my mess!! :)

IMG_3881.JPG
Making gunport frames

IMG_3882.JPG
In order to make several at a time and to help keep them square I made these little blocks, the mitered corners on the blocks is to prevent glue squeeze out from gluing the block to the frame. This system worked great and was well worth the extra effort. These blocks will be used again when the hull planking begins. By adding a 1 mm thick strip around the outer edge I'll be able to insert the blocks back into the ports and be able to plank around them leaving a 1 mm edge for the doors to rest against.

IMG_3883.JPG
Gluing the frames into place. As you can see some of the bulkheads needed to be cut, I did this using the rotary tool.

IMG_3884.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG
Starboard side completed. The blue stuff you see is that sticky stuff you use to stick things on the wall with, I used it to hold the jig in place while gluing the frames on. The jig can been seen on the bench just in front of the model, I used it to give me the exact same height for all the frames.

That's it for now, next is the port side gunport frames then some more work on the transom area

Thanks Again and we'll see You later

I find this very interesting how some put the gun ports in place before planking and plank around while others plank then cut out the gun port openings. Is this just builder preference or is there a technical reason why one is done vs the other? POF vs POB perhaps? Single vs double planking? Inner planking with POF? So many questions... :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, I cannot take all the credit for the frames themselves that was MarisStella's wonderful idea. My only idea here was to make the blocks to build the frames around. :( I'm thinking it should work out great though.
It is hard to tell in the pictures but the frames stand proud of the bulkheads so now when I go to fair the hull the gunport frames will be at the exact level as the planking will be.

Back