Kit review HMS Pandora 1:72 by Modelship Dockyard

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

HMS Pandora Kit Review

A "Modelship Dockyard Kit"

Pandora was a 24-gun Porcupine-class(link to wiki) sixth-rate frigate of the Royal Navy, built in Deptford, in 1779.

A brief introduction to Porcupine-class:

PORCUPINE Class. (24 guns) John Williams's design of 1776, to which ten ships were ordered over two years, enlarged from the lines of the Sphinx Class. The contract for the first ship was agreed on 25.6.1776 with Greaves (to launch in 7.1777) and the second on 6.8.1776 with Adams (to launch in 5.1777), each at £10.10.0d per ton; they were named Porcupine and Pelican by AO 27.8.1776. Four ships of this class were lost in 1780-84 (Penelope, Siren, Pelican, and Crocodile), while the Pandora was lost in 1791 returning from the hunt for the Bounty mutineers.

Pandora is coming into the limelight because of the stories associated with the mutiny of the Bounty and the discovery of the ship's wreck in recent years. In November 1977, the wreck of the Pandora was located-186 years after its loss. A survey to confirm the identity of the wreck and assess its archaeological potential was commissioned in April 1979 by the Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs and Environment. The archaeologist who conducted the survey was Graeme Henderson, accompanied by photographer Patrick Baker, both from the Western Australian Maritime Museum (WAMM).

Pelican.png

General information:

Dimension (of the ship):

Length of Gundeck: 114' 7" (34.7599)
Length of Keel: 94' 9 ½" (28.6639)
Breadth: 32' 3" (9.7917)
Depth in Hold: 10' 3" (3.1242)

Dimension (of the hull)
LOA:
580mm
Wide: 135.5mm
Height: 149.5mm

Date information:
Ordered: 11.2.1778
Keel Laid Down: 2.3.1778
Acquired: 17.5.1779

Armament:
Upper Gun Deck: 22 9-Pounder
Quarterdeck: 2 6-Pounder

Here are a few CAD-type Graphics of the ship.

front-01.jpg
front-02.jpg
front-03.jpg
front-04.jpg

OPEN BOX
To begin, here is the open box. As you can see the contents are bundled nice and tight so that no parts can move around causing any problems in shipment.

box-01.jpg

This is the Box Contents shown in full.
Please be careful with Wooden Sheets as some sheets are very thin and parts can be very loose on the sheets.

pandora-review45.jpg

Next are close-ups of the key components:
pandora-review34.jpg

pandora-review35.jpgpandora-review36.jpgpandora-review37.jpgpandora-review38.jpgpandora-review39.jpgpandora-review40.jpgpandora-review41.jpg
pandora-review42.jpg
pandora-review43.jpg
pandora-review44.jpg

NOTE: The Yards and Mast come attached to a cardboard insert that holds the parts. You must follow sand lines and round off the Mast and Yards to suit.
pandora-review44b.jpg

Now the PE Parts.
pandora-review02.JPG
pandora-review03.JPG
pandora-review04.JPG

The PLANS

The plans come in three sheets. 1) Top Plan and side view 2) two of the Starboard and Port full view. Only one full view is shown - the other is just a mirror image.

pandora-review28.JPG

pandora-review29.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It is looking like a very interesting kit - the ship by itself was very interesting

I made once a Book Review of the Anatomy of the Ship - series by John McKay and Ron Coleman which might be helpful for building this model.

BTW: Which scale is the kit model - Is it 1:72 ?

For anyone wanting to know Just got the full finished 1/72 scale model size from Dry-Dock models & parts through fb

Lenght 850 mm
Width 260 mm
Height 820 mm

Screenshot_20230415-155834_Facebook.jpg

Here is more information on the Pandora:

Rigging and Instructions.

The Rigging manual has 95 pages and the Instruction manual has 93 pages as of this writing. Below are a few samples from the manuals. They are NOT in any type of order, just randomly selected.

inst-example01.jpg

inst-example03.jpg

inst-example05.jpg

rig-example01.jpg

rig-example02.jpg

rig-example03.jpg

rig-example04.jpg

inst-example02.jpg

inst-example04.jpg

inst-example06.jpg

Just been looking at this kit again and I am very very tempted you get a hell of a lot of kit for your money. Compared to some kits of the same price that usually you find have taken short cuts regards to quality in one way or another.

Hi Donnie, do you have any news about Pandora? Sorry for being nosy, but I am eyening her in the shop, did not buy it yet (stash overflowing). Would like to know how easy or not-so-easy is she to build. There seem to be some parts I did not encounter yet in the kits of traditional makers (3D printed?). I am building HMS Pegasus from Victory Models/Amati right now and can manage. There are more splendid ships around, but when one takes interest, one takes interest ;-)

Hi Donnie, do you have any news about Pandora? Sorry for being nosy, but I am eyening her in the shop, did not buy it yet (stash overflowing). Would like to know how easy or not-so-easy is she to build. There seem to be some parts I did not encounter yet in the kits of traditional makers (3D printed?). I am building HMS Pegasus from Victory Models/Amati right now and can manage. There are more splendid ships around, but when one takes interest, one takes interest ;-)
Few build logs

Ouch, should have find it myself. I am new to this forum and do not know my way around yet, sorry. Those computers! Thank you!

Back