HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

I envy the new the new voyage you are about to begin. I know it will be fascinating and informative for all of us in the audience.

Jan
Thank you very much, Jan. I will try my best to make it informative, objective and entertaining. By the way, I love the new avatar. It makes me think of one of those old English paintings with the lord of the manor sitting next to his hunting dog! :)

Dear Heinrich
my dear friend,Good luck with your new project , I will be following with great interest and wish you a lot of fun with your build.
Thank you dear, Shota. I am really looking forward to have some fun with this build.

I am glad that your fear for the re-do was not needed my friend, it is looking great on the picture
Hi my friend. Yes, I am happy that there is no re-do so early. So far all it seems that all is good. I wish I had more time in which to build, but at least I am doing something again!

By the way, I love the new avatar. It makes me think of one of those old English paintings with the lord of the manor sitting next to his hunting dog! :)
Oh my, oh my. I'm laughing so hard I almost spilled my morning coffee. Thank you my friend for your keen observation. . But we think that big lug of a Labrador "JD" is the "LORD of the Manor". A hundred plus pounds of energy. BTW "JD" translates to "Jan's Dog". I couldn't pronounce or spell the name on his registration certificate.

Jan

Oh WOW!! Hello Heinrich, whew man I just happened to find your new build and fortunately it looks like you're at the beginning. I know what you mean when you say you just want to build a ship with complete instructions sans any guess work or feel like a crash dummy without a helmet hitting the same wall over and over. Ha! Looking forward to following you on this.

Oh WOW!! Hello Heinrich, whew man I just happened to find your new build and fortunately it looks like you're at the beginning. I know what you mean when you say you just want to build a ship with complete instructions sans any guess work or feel like a crash dummy without a helmet hitting the same wall over and over. Ha! Looking forward to following you on this.
Welcome to Pandora's box my dear friend. You are right, I have just started the build (this is my second weekend) and I will post an update later this afternoon. The never-ending research and unanswered questions of the WB has cured me totally of pursuing "historical accuracy". In Dutch ships that is as elusive as a unicorn dressed in a rainbow-colored ice-cream suit!

Welcome to Pandora's box my dear friend. You are right, I have just started the build (this is my second weekend) and I will post an update later this afternoon. The never-ending research and unanswered questions of the WB has cured me totally of pursuing "historical accuracy". In Dutch ships that is as elusive as a unicorn dressed in a rainbow-colored ice-cream suit!
With all those different available models, you just had to pick "Pandora". Based on the name, I suspect you to have more issues than you bargained for. I'm afraid your WB-expedition will look like the proverbial walk in the park, before you finish your Pandora.

From Wikipedia:
"According to Hesiod, when Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus, the king of the gods, took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Pandora opened a jar left in her care containing sickness, death and many other unspecified evils which were then released into the world.[4] Though she hastened to close the container, only one thing was left behind – usually translated as Hope, though it could also have the pessimistic meaning of "deceptive expectation".[5]

From this story has grown the idiom "to open a Pandora's box", meaning to do or start something that will cause many unforeseen problems.[6] A modern, more colloquial equivalent is "to open a can of worms".[7]Pandora's box is a metaphor for something that brings about great troubles or misfortune, but also holds hope. In Greek mythology, Pandora's box was a gift from the gods to Pandora, the first woman on Earth. It contained all the evils of the world, which were released when Pandora opened the box. However, it also contained hope, which remained inside the box. Symbolically, the box represents the curiosity and desire for knowledge that can lead to both negative consequences and positive outcomes. The evils inside the box can be seen as the challenges and difficulties of life, while the hope represents the optimism and resilience to overcome those challenges.[8]"

Good luck my friend...

Not to open the proverbial can of worms, but sometimes I wonder if your rainbow-colored ice-cream dressed unicorns do not already walk among us, when looking at some of our fellow human beings.
Johan, I wish I could choose both a "Ha-Ha" and "Love" emoji. I have purposely chosen that analogy, because I also think they do exist! ROTF

Dear Friends

Time for a little update. Seeing that I can only work on weekends, my progress is slower than I would have liked, but it is what it is. I continued with planking the first layer and am reasonably satisfied with my effort so far. The wood is simply described in the instructions as "white" wood (I believe it is more likely than not Paulownia) which is 4mm wide and only 0.5mm thick. That thickness is not going to allow for too much sanding to get a smooth first layer, so I am spending extra time in an attempt to get it as smooth as I can from the word go. I do make use of edge gluing on all of the planks while I use my clamps and push pins to align the symmetry constantly. On the subject of my push pins - I do miss my 6mm-thick @Kolderstok frames which can take an awful lot of abuse from my customary heavy-handed and heavy-hammered approach. ROTF

planking.jpg
Judging by where I am tonight, I would guesstimate that it would probably take another two weekends to close up the hull.

Thank you all for looking in and joining me in this build. This part of the build is something I enjoy (I always enjoy planking), whilst the hull shape is relatively straightforward. If I had wood inserts at the bow and stern and 1.5mm-thick walnut wood, that first layer would have been the final one! ROTF Oh well ...

Looking great Heinrich (though, beware the bending of planks at the bulkheads - could just be the photo?). At only 0.5 mm thick those primary planks will try to reveal what lies beneath...
Thank you, Paul. I know exactly what you mean. It certainly looks like the planks have a sharp bend at the bulkhead second from the front. The bulkheads all have bevel lines inscribed on them and were faired according to that, so I'm pretty sure they are not at fault. On the one hand, I think the shadows in the pic accentuate the line somewhat and as you say - 0.5mm is awfully thin. I think with a little bit of sanding I should be ok.

Back