HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30 (Following the Maarten's RC)

Hi Alex, good to see you and your father back online. Looking forward to your progress.
I will be restarting my Royal Caroline project somewhere in the comings weeks to.
I am re-reading my whole blog just to get into the game again. It is not easy. And, while reading it all, I felt so grateful to @Maarten , @neptune and other collegues! WIthout you it would be painful. Information is the most precious thing in this world. Thank you, guys! We will see how it goes.

G'day Alex, its great to see you and your Dad back at the work bench, I've missed your build log, be great to see you both working again,

best regards john,

I am re-reading my whole blog just to get into the game again. It is not easy. And, while reading it all, I felt so grateful to @Maarten , @neptune and other collegues! WIthout you it would be painful. Information is the most precious thing in this world. Thank you, guys! We will see how it goes.
Hi Alex, if you have any questions please let me know.

I am happy for you
and we are happy, that you are able to continue with the work on the model

we had a little discussion on whether to put metal nails into this frame vs wooden nails, used by Maarten. Maarten won as usual. You can see wooden nails on the left (2 of them). Do not worry, we experimented on a fake model. In order to make it more contrast, we will oil the frame without nails, and when it gets dark, we will insert white nails. Just like Maarten did. As usual, his work inspires us. IMG_7077.JPG

Hi Alex,

See you had a question about the black railing on my model.
It is made of pearwood strip which is bundeled in the kit. I blackened it with black Ecoline.
The profiled parts of the strip are in the sealed foam packages, these are lasered parts you need to double by glueing two on top of each other.

Hope it helps.

Hi Alex,

See you had a question about the black railing on my model.
It is made of pearwood strip which is bundeled in the kit. I blackened it with black Ecoline.
The profiled parts of the strip are in the sealed foam packages, these are lasered parts you need to double by glueing two on top of each other.

Hope it helps.
yes, I did ask, thank you! it really helped.
OK, if you are so kind, let me ask further:
I cannot find the part which I indicated with the red arrow. Sorry, I know that it is a shame I cannot find it myself.
And those pearwood strips, what is their size? Still canot find them... 3 years, you know.
1675447111177.png

Thank you very much! it is SO hard to get back into the business. Many things are forgotten, and it is quite a pain. So, I will ask silly things from time to time.

View attachment 355387View attachment 355388
These are the pieces Alex,
Best regards John,
ahaha,
dear John, I have just made the same picture of rings and wanted to ask Maarten, just to be certain. and, imagine, I have opened this chat and I see your pics. Isn't it amazing to see this kind of support from you, guys.
I am smiling and this smile will stay with me all the day.

OK, we start the works on the front deck. After considering different options and other Caroline projects, we – as usual – follow Maarten's style.
The only difference will be that Maarten keeps the part of the deck open and therefore he builds high-quality interior under the deck. In our case it will be closed, so we do not have to be so perfect inside. but in general it will follow the Master Maarten.
On the picture the borders of the white sheet designate the future cut. BTW these pictures of the carvings help a lot!
The width of the strip is 39mm=6.5 (lower strip) + 20 mm (carvings) + 12.5mm (upper strip).
There will be only two places at the bottom of the carvings, which will protrude a little bit to the strip below.
The whole white sheet is based on the 3 planks above the whale.
So, let's start
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-04 at 15.14.01.jpeg

Back