HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

As the SB and PS side are now at the same stage I started with finishing the rear cabin.
For this I am working on a writing cabinet for the King which I make out of a solid piece of boxwood from my own garden.
View attachment 370174

After sawing the course shape followed with the mill carving the drawers in the front.
View attachment 370175

Roughly cut and carved the drawer decoration outlines.
View attachment 370176
View attachment 370177

On the sides carving an acanthus leave.
View attachment 370178
View attachment 370179
View attachment 370181

Adding some bitumen to check the carving contrast.
View attachment 370182
View attachment 370183

The start is there still a lot of fine tuning to do.

View attachment 370180
amazing Okay Exclamation-MarkSpeechless

As the SB and PS side are now at the same stage I started with finishing the rear cabin.
For this I am working on a writing cabinet for the King which I make out of a solid piece of boxwood from my own garden.
View attachment 370174

After sawing the course shape followed with the mill carving the drawers in the front.
View attachment 370175

Roughly cut and carved the drawer decoration outlines.
View attachment 370176
View attachment 370177

On the sides carving an acanthus leave.
View attachment 370178
View attachment 370179
View attachment 370181

Adding some bitumen to check the carving contrast.
View attachment 370182
View attachment 370183

The start is there still a lot of fine tuning to do.

View attachment 370180
That is looking very nice, Maarten. ‘The Captain’ will be very pleased with this cabinet.
Regards, Peter

Maarten,
Would it be possible for you to comment on the quality of the English instructions? Are they sufficient in number?
Respectfully,
John

I am amazed with your work on TWO projects, when I can't seem to find the time to work on one ship. Do you have time to see your family, eat meals and do other human stuff? ROTF

I am amazed with your work on TWO projects, when I can't seem to find the time to work on one ship. Do you have time to see your family, eat meals and do other human stuff? ROTF
I've had the pleasure of meeting Maarten in real life, seeing the projects he works on. They are out of this world and I came to the conclusion that maybe he's secretly part of SAIL (Secret Alliance of Intelligent Lifeforms) called the Avengers and to have extraordinary powers beyond comparison. :rolleyes:

Awesome work, mon ami! With skills like yours, I expected drawers to open and hide Kings Jewelry :p But it does look like the Jewelry itself (no kidding)
Haha Jim,
Actually I had been thinking about that, it is possible to do so, but on top of it I am planning to show the king s red box on the desk.
These are official government boxes for shipping official documents and already in use for centuries. So no room for an open drawer.
SEC_135022406-ed13.jpg

Sorry I have to disappoint you no work on the RC at the moment, my available time is only for the fluyt project at the moment.
I also have a bussiness to run :cool:

Ps in general 8 hrs hobby a week.

Maarten,
Would it be possible for you to comment on the quality of the English instructions? Are they sufficient in number?
Respectfully,
John
With the kit there are no English instructions, only Chinese and 3 Chinese dvd's.
One of our members made an English manual.

I build it without use of a manual, if you are an experienced modeler this is no problem.

Last weekend on the road with the motorhome so then you are lucky that a part of our hobby contains a lot of small items, so I took my work in progress cabinet with me for some carving in the sun.
The right side carving is now also finished.
20230529_105454.jpg

Next are the legs of the cabinet. First I made thin boxwood strips glued to the bottom. Cutting the sides to start the carving.
20230531_184959.jpg

Cutting from the middle towards the legs creating a type of Louis XIV frame. Add some carving to the legs and boards and the frame is fiished.
20230531_193809.jpg

Now we need a table top to write on. For the cabinet this contains two parts with a hinge in between.
20230531_202423.jpg

Added a carved outer edge and fit it to the top.
20230531_204846.jpg

Two guides below the table top carry the weight.
20230531_205909.jpg

Next time the frieze along the top and the handles on the drawers and then it will be finished after a finall treatment with clou and bitumen.
20230531_205532.jpg

G'day Maarten, that is some seriously beautiful carvings, a lovely piece for the King's Royal Caroline,
Best regards John,

Back