HMS Royal William 1719 1:55 by OlegM

Yes it is simply stunning. How nice it must be to already know your way around 3d /cnc programming. It takes your work to a level that will be hard or even impossible to reach by hand.

No, that's not true. I'm not sure about other countries, but I saw models of russian/Ukrainian modelers that are much, much better than mine without any cnc. I would call mine just good. From the distance and on general pictures it looks perfect but at the closer look there's so many bullshit... Cnc is... Well I'm just using it for operations that others do with hands because I can't do them with my hands. On the other side some don't know how to use cnc and 3d modeling/ programming. but result can be perfect anywhere.

But hey thanks everyone for the comments. I will definitely finish this one. After that... I don't know. I started this hobby in 2017 and since then was observing a constant decline of it on russian/Ukrainian forums. So many talented people disappered, so many perfect models unshinished. Currently the hobby is dead in russia and Ukraine. I don't know about the real life, but on the internet it's dead or quasi dead. Sad. Well there's so many obvious reasons to that, but still still sad to state a fact

As to the William... need to order someone the 3d modelling of the decorations. Need money for that. Still hope to sell my poor dusty Pegasus to finance that

No, that's not true. I'm not sure about other countries, but I saw models of russian/Ukrainian modelers that are much, much better than mine without any cnc. I would call mine just good. From the distance and on general pictures it looks perfect but at the closer look there's so many bullshit... Cnc is... Well I'm just using it for operations that others do with hands because I can't do them with my hands. On the other side some don't know how to use cnc and 3d modeling/ programming. but result can be perfect anywhere.
Ok. Then there is hope for me. I will try to manufacture ornaments and so by hand.
A lot to learn.

I finally finished the planking of the quarterdeck and forecastle. However the topic of correctness is open, I mean whether (in addition to the margin strake) the planks should be tapered and curved or perfectly straight. I've seen both options on English ships, even both options present within the same monography but on the different decks... I'd say, I don't have a trustworthy source to rely on. On my quarterdeck the aft portion of the deck is not visible, so the hell with it, it doesn't catch the eye. But on the forecastle... the curvature is not so big, so I finally didn't even do a margin strake. I don't know. Maybe it's totally wrong, but it is what it is.

I had to install catbeams since thy are intgrated in the deck planking, although there is a big chance to rip them off...

IMG_20221016_113410.jpgIMG_20221016_113422.jpgIMG_20221016_113434.jpgIMG_20221016_113446.jpgIMG_20221016_113455.jpg

This is how I bend parts.
I got myself a small kettle. Put water, put part inside, close lid, bring water to boil. Then you can do whatever you want with the part, just clamp it with somethin flexible around a solid surface. Let it stay till dry or almost dry, better almost dry.
make sure not to install wet, because the parts expand a lot when wet. If you glue the plank which is still too wet, it will contract during drying and produce the gaps all around.

IMG_20221113_085302.jpgIMG_20221113_085328.jpgIMG_20221113_085359.jpgIMG_20221113_085446.jpg

Just wonderful - beautiful appearance
Your windows at the stern - are they made out of black folio? and the window frames are the base surface on which the folio is glued?

Back