HMS Royal William 1719 1:55 by OlegM

.....the problem with these masterpieces is that it makes people like me ask the question "but what am I doing here?". All I can do is cry!...
Well the irony is that I feel the same looking at models that are far better than mine. My model has so many flaws and imperfections that I know about and that are so easy to show with macro images... Sometimes want to throw my hands away. Don't need to go far away, just look at archjofo's Creole

Maybe they've already asked... in this case I apologize... otherwise my indiscreet question is "how much did it cost in wood?"
Grazie

Not sure if the answer will be of any use, because the prices were rising a lot over years, and I changed supplier mid-term, but if we talking wood only, I spent about 2300 canadian dollars total over 4 years

Congratulations for finishing the work on the hull - Very good work
and we can see already a very good progress on the bowsprit etc...... so I guess less than the four years are in front of you
I like your ship very much :cool:

Incredible work from the big items to the smallest details. One of the small things that I was happy to see is that there is no name on the stern . I am sure there were exceptions, but your depiction follows admiralty orders. I believe ships were prohibited from carrying a name except between 1780 and 1790 and then again in more modern times. Great work!!!

Allan

Hallo Oleg, ich muss sagen, was für ein Schiff!! Einfach unglaublich. Ich bin tief beeindruckt von deiner Arbeit. Ich freue mich schon sehr auf die heutige Arbeit. Eine Frage hätte ich auch noch: Woher hast du den Takelageplan? Ich möchte die HMS Victory in ihrer ursprünglichen Form bauen und bin gerade dabei, Bilder und Pläne zu recherchieren. Leider kann ich keinen Takelageplan für die HMS Victory aus dem Jahr 1765 finden. Darf ich fragen, woher du deinen Plan für die Takelage des Schiffes hast, damit ich auch einen Takelageplan für die HMS Victory bekomme?

Vielen Dank für Ihre Antwort. Ich bin ein großer Fan Ihrer Arbeit.

Beste grüße
Günter Grießbach

Mein Englisch ist nicht so gut. Bitte entschuldigen Sie die sprachlichen Fehler.

Hello Oleg, I have to say, what a ship!! Simply incredible. I am deeply impressed by your work. I am really looking forward to today's work. I also have one more question: Where did you get the rigging plan? I want to build the HMS Victory in its original form and am currently researching pictures and plans. Unfortunately, I cannot find a rigging plan for the HMS Victory from 1765. May I ask where you got your plan for the ship's rigging so that I can also get a rigging plan for the HMS Victory?

Thank you very much for your answer. I am a big fan of your work.

Best regards
Günter Grießbach

My English is not that good. Please excuse the language errors.

Hi Gunter, thanks a lot!
I do not have a "plan". I'm using 2 sources. One is the contemporary model of Royal William that is in USNA in Annapolis, USA. The rigging is not contemporary, it was done by a person hired by the collection owner in XIX century, but he based his work on a model of Saint George 1701, that is actually one of not so many models that have their complete original rigging preserved. I personally went to the museum and made a lot of photos of Royal William to understand the rigging.
My second source is the book by Anderson - Seventeenth Century Rigging, which covers the period of up to 1720, so it is not relevant for 1765.

In my opinion, there should be no to little diffference between 1765 and, say, 1790. If you don't want to use a Victory rigging plan from 1800s, just use the book from Lennarth Petersson.

P.S. interesting fact: I have a reference saying, that this model of RW in USNA was rigged in 1924 at a cost of $3000. Just used an inflation calculator - it's $55000 nowadays. WOW

Hallo Oleg, vielen Dank für deine schnelle Antwort. Du hast also deine Takelage nach dem Vorbild der Royal Williams erstellt. Der Wahnsinn. Du hast davon im Museum viele Bilder gemacht. Könntest du ein paar Bilder davon ins Forum stellen? Danke für die zweite Quelle, das Buch Anderson-Seventeenth Century Rigging. Das kannte ich noch nicht. Für meine Recherche habe ich die Bücher Masting and Rigging of 18th Century Ships von Karl Heinz Marquardt und Lennhardt Petersson verwendet. Diese sind voller Zeichnungen, die ich für die Zeit von 1765 bis 1790 verwenden kann. Allerdings ist kein vollständiger Takelageplan dabei, wie man die Seile am Bug und Heck des Schiffes richtig befestigt. Was mir fehlt, ist die Befestigung der Besanstange und der Segel. Ich würde gerne die HMS Victory im Maßstab 1:84 mit kompletter Takelage und Segeln bauen. Natürlich wird sie nicht an deine schöne HMS Royal William heranreichen können. Aber ich gebe mir Mühe. Bei meinen Recherchen bin ich auf folgendes gestoßen: The Rigging of HMS Invincible von Tom Cousins Fakultät für Naturwissenschaften und Technik Bournemouth University? Diese Forschungsarbeit beschäftigt sich mit der Takelage aus dieser Zeit. Ich habe das Dokument nur überflogen und es scheint wirklich gut zu sein. Da ich aus Deutschland komme, muss ich es erst übersetzen. Dauert eine Weile. Wenn du es nicht kennst, kann ich es dir gerne zusenden.
Viele Grüße
Günter:)

P.S. How expensive would it have been to build this model today? Then your HMS Royal William is priceless..!!

Back