HMS Royal William 1719 1:55 by OlegM

Oleg, you are by a long-mile, your own worst critic. Archjofo is aspirational to all; approachable to a select few, and you are climbing that mountain at record pace. It is always a pleasure to come see your magnificent model. You have made so much progress since I was last here. BRAVO!
Oleg,

I first opened your thread this morning and was immediately hooked! First, I was struck by your confession that your English was problematic, yet your language skills are superb! I next read about your approach to this build, which was flawless. I just received this kit, and I hope that I can finish it in my lifetime! I'll keep reading if you keep posting.

God Bless!

Bill

I truly admire Brian Lavery's work and use his book The Arming and Fitting all the time and I have the Bellona book as well but the boat drawing is incomplete just as the last drawing in my post above. It is not wrong, just not complete. In the Arming and Fitting he does show a pinnace with the proper tholes on page 220. There are a LOT of high resolution boat drawings on the WikiCommons site as well as on the RMG Collections website that you may find helpful down the road.

Maybe you or another member can help me on another question. The gratings midships looks to be 15 to 20 feet long. How would they lift this off the coaming? I realize on other ships the gratings were in smaller sections so could be manhandled but not in this case.

In the end your model is exquisite and I love following your build.

Allan

It is indeed very long, 25.6 by 7.5 feet approx. It indeed looks very strange and it is indeed not clear how they could handle such a big grating. However, that's what the musem models show... Maybe in reality it was several gratings installed side by side without any transverse plank in between, like you can see on the USNA model on the main hatch.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

Could it be, that such a grating was fixed installed and not removable? such a big hatch opening was not necessary, so pure for ventilation......
To be covered during heavy seas with some canvas was possible I guess.....
Just a thought.....

The gratings or better hatch openings after she was razeed is shown in this drawing

She sure photographs well in the sunshine!! The warm colors of the wood come alive and the superb attention to every detail is obvious in the unforgiving sunlight! Thanks for sharing such wonderful modeling skills and photography! Again, AWESOME!!

Hello Oleg
I finally had time to through your build log from the beginning. I am amazed by the amount of work and skill you have put into this wonderful ship. You're creating a unique piece of art on a level that is achievable only to few of people.
I read you had some problems with cutting acrylic sheet for lanterns. Have you tried to make it form transparent resin. I think designing glass insert for 3d print should be easy for you:) I found some pictures how it looks. First one is full resin cast, but I think the way Benard Huc design lantern is more practical. You just replace the glass with transparent resin and leave rest parts in wood.- For your next ship;)

unnamed.jpg

print.jpg

Hey Wojtas,

Well for sure, my current manufacturing method is not suitable for these fancy french lanterns. So for my future project I will need to invent something new. Right now I don't have anything established in my head.... this is a very complex structure to manufacture. Even if I find someone with 3d printer, I don't want to 3d print the lantern walls, cover etc. Glass maybe yes, if it can be 3d printed, but the rest... I don't know yet

Hey Wojtas,

Well for sure, my current manufacturing method is not suitable for these fancy french lanterns. So for my future project I will need to invent something new. Right now I don't have anything established in my head.... this is a very complex structure to manufacture. Even if I find someone with 3d printer, I don't want to 3d print the lantern walls, cover etc. Glass maybe yes, if it can be 3d printed, but the rest... I don't know yet
Good luck with it, unfortunately in my scale I can only do it in 3d print

Witaj
Opcja Nr 1 Oleg tak jest w planach Euromodelu i wygląda super. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Here is what I got.
My set of anchors on this model: best bower, second bower, sheet and spare anchors. I am not showing stream anchor. Two bowers will be at cat beam/fish davit. Those that you see already installed on the pictures below are sheet and spare. Contrary to real world I'm keeping the cables attached to these anchors.

IMG_20241001_135245.jpgIMG_20241001_134418.jpgIMG_20241001_134430.jpg

Back