HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Just a question. Why you fit false decks? Looks to me, you could also glue your deck beams straight to the beam construction of the deck.

Just a question. Why you fit false decks? Looks to me, you could also glue your deck beams straight to the beam construction of the deck.
The thin false decks ensure there are no offset edges between the 0.5mm thick planks that may result because of any unevenness of the support structure, and offer a lot of strength to the deck. This prevents punctures if you drop a tool on it.

Last edited:
The thin false decks ensure there are no offset edges between the 0.5mm thick planks that may result because of any unevenness of the support structure, and offer a lot of strength to the deck. This prevents punctures if you drop a tool on it.
Okay, extra strenght is the reason.
And only clumsy people do drop tools, we modelbuilders aren't clumsy. :)

Hmmm...Now I have a question. Why would you build carlings and ledges if you cover all the work with ply?
Because I have a borescope. And if I want to go on a personal adventure, I can stick the borescope through and unoccupied gun port and wander around inside. Besides, it was a personal challenge to make some of the inside look as good as the outside will be. When they invent micro-cameras which can fit onto the back of a bug, I'm all set! :D

1657490007415.png

I'm surprised you waited this long to ask that question. All the other members asked it two decks ago. :D Imagine years from now, long after I'm gone, after some person has bought this old ship at some auction, what they would say if they take the time to peer into a gun portal...

I'm thinking hard how I should decorate the inside rooms of the stern gallery. If you've ever seen the HMS Royal Katherine or HMS Sovereign of the Seas by Doris Obručová, then you will truly understand why.

Besides, Jim, It's FUN!

Now if you are asking why I chose a false deck construction over solid deck planks, I answered that a post ago. There are some concessions and shortcuts made in this internal build, quite a lot in fact. You MAY be able to see the carlings and ledges, but looking to see if the deck overhead is comprised of individual deck planks is virtually impossible because of all the other stuff blocking that view. The plywood is stained with Danish Oil, and the grain is visible, and that's really enough. Also, the model is 1:75, less that 2-1/2' long, not 1:48. So, you have to simplify the timber construction to a great extent. The hull is getting quite heavy with all this internal work. I should weigh it to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you waited this long to ask that question. All the other members asked it two decks ago. :D Imagine years from now, long after I'm gone, after some person has bought this old ship at some auction, what they would say if they take the time to peer into a gun portal...
Kurt, I get it! The only reason I didn't ask, is you didn't use a false deck on the lower deck. The borescope will show the plywood on top of the carlings and ledges...but, this is your model and fun you are taking while building her.

Kurt, I get it! The only reason I didn't ask, is you didn't use a false deck on the lower deck. The borescope will show the plywood on top of the carlings and ledges...but, this is your model and fun you are taking while building her.
Didn't use a false deck on the lower gun deck? Yes I did, just skip back page 38 in the build log. The false deck material for the middle gun deck is the same material as the overhead for the upper gun deck. The original kit plywood false deck was used for the lower gun deck. You see Jim, the deck support structure is not perfectly even from beam to beam. There is some slight unevenness, so using planks over the structure will reveal every flaw, no matter how small, if the planks were to be glued to each and every support. The false deck acts as an equalizer. It makes the planking smooth overall on top. I don't think anyone can place that many sticks together without getting some of them uneven, and my beams and supports were created all by eye.

Last edited:
Okay, extra strenght is the reason.
And only clumsy people do drop tools, we modelbuilders aren't clumsy. :)
Oh I could tell you legendary stories of the crap I've dropping in to the hull of this model, never to be seen again. Some of it has been recovered weeks later by taking the model and shaking it upside down (without dropping it, of course). ;)

Hi Kurt, have you considered to keep a part of the deck open so you could look down into the construction of all the decks?
Only the main hatch will be open all the way down to the lower gun deck. I'm not a fan of cutaway models, so in order to see all the details inside, another method like a borescope has to be used. A borescope does not adjustable depth of focus, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Only the main hatch will be open all the way down to the lower gun deck. I'm not a fan of cutaway models, so in order to see all the details inside, another method like a borescope has to be used. A borescope does not adjustable depth of focus, so I'm looking for alternatives.
Why not install small spy camera's in it on fixed places which you can connect via wifi.
These are not expensive anymore.

Now that's an idea! That would be great; you could give your visitors an on screen tour through your model.
(I definitely will not mention this to my Admiral, whenever I mention some of these crazy ideas to her, she goes like "oh, that would look lovely on your model" or in other words "and when are you going to implement that into your build?")

The last false deck sections were installed today, making all work on the middle gun deck complete. Now the upper gun deck needs to be planked.

View attachment 317950

Last deck piece in place.
View attachment 317951

After filling the grooves between the deck pieces with PVA for extra strength, the false deck is complete.
View attachment 317952

The view down the main hatch looks interesting
View attachment 317954
I like your idea of using false decks to give you a solid foundation for the deck planks and simultaneously leveling all the wires.

Back