HMS Surprise by Mamoli

Very nice model. I found this thread on wooldings useful. You might also want to check the placement of the upper aft starboard deadeye. It appears to be upside down. I know, the camera brings out so many things that the eye would never notice. Can't see the forest for the trees. By the way, what are you using the tung oil for? I've used it on some of my previous models and on some furniture.
upside down for sure.

It’s looking great! Your posts will definitely be used when I move down my list of to do’s and start building my HMS SURPRISE ! Thank you for sharing!

I haven't posted in a while despite getting quite a bit of work done. Almost all masts are fully stepped and rigged. Just the foremast topgallant left to step. All port covers installed. Currently working on the mainmast topgallant shrouds and ratlines, next will be forestays and backstays for the same. After that I'll rig up all shrouds and stays and ratlines for the foremast topmast, then the same for the foremast topgallant....and then all standing rigging will be finished.

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg

very good progress - there is light at the end of the rigging tunnel :cool:

My, you have a lot of paints on that lazy Susan! They're immediately accessible, without cluttering up the bench. Love the progress. I still have hundreds of ratlines to go on my Connie. I need to get motivated to go upstairs and tackle some more. How did you cut off the ends of the ratlines without making them unravel? They are cut nice and closely. I had two of mine come apart at the ends.

Nice looking model. I have 1:75 Mamoli Surprise also. Thanks for the notice on the "No glue" top deck. I would be pissed to find I could not rig my cannons! The question I have is I have no keel or stern post on any plans and there is no keel in the box. What do I do? I have no dimensions or any reference to the making of them. Any help would be appreciated. BTW the metal lifeboat in the kit already has sunk. Metal..really? Short cut? Really?

Nice looking model. I have 1:75 Mamoli Surprise also. Thanks for the notice on the "No glue" top deck. I would be pissed to find I could not rig my cannons! The question I have is I have no keel or stern post on any plans and there is no keel in the box. What do I do? I have no dimensions or any reference to the making of them. Any help would be appreciated. BTW the metal lifeboat in the kit already has sunk. Metal..really? Short cut? Really?

I'm not sure how to address the subject of a lack of a stern post or keel....it's been three years since I started Surprise but if memory serves the big center thingy that all the bulkheads attached to became the keel. Since I coppered the hull it looks just fine, I just tacked on a walnut false keel under the coppering. Same goes for the stern post. The end of the center thingy became the stern post. Because the entire hull is either coppered or painted, even if there was a stern post in the kit you wouldn't be able to pick it out.

With regard to the ship's launch, I would suggest this:

I've used mini-kits like this for all five of my ships. The quality is great, the detail is unsurpassed. This is not the only website for these little things. Somewhere in this blog I have posted those pics as well.

Good luck dude!

I like the fact that the center thingy becomes the keel and the other thingys hold it together. We all know ships had lots of thingys. I like true maritime language when it comes to keeping it simple. Tis the reason for my madness purchasing these ships with half assed instructions. Your model is awesome..

I like the fact that the center thingy becomes the keel and the other thingys hold it together. We all know ships had lots of thingys. I like true maritime language when it comes to keeping it simple. Tis the reason for my madness purchasing these ships with half assed instructions. Your model is awesome..

I know, right? "Thingy" works for me!

All masts are fully stepped and I'm finishing up the last of the standing rigging.

Ha, ha, not if you want to get anywhere! Sailing into the wind won't get you very far, I'm afraid...

Shouldn't each plank be nailed to the cross member underneath? The pattern looks great but the planks are only secured at the ends. What about the middle? I want to do this on another ship that I'm planning but haven't had any experience with this procedure. Pete
You are correct, Norgale. There are trenails holding planks not only at the ends, but also to the beams running under the middle portions of the planks. Here are examples. Note how there are various ways to trenail the planks in the middle portions. Some are single trenails, others are two trenails in parallel, and a third is two trenails diagonally positioned. Note also the variations in trenail positions near the margin plank. As a modeler, I always ask, which pattern is correct for my shop model? Information on that topic is usually unavailable (historically undocumented) and I have to make a wild guess.

1694627709701.png

1694627799169.png

1694627885544-png.394345

1694628020396.png

1694627885544.png

Last edited:
You are correct, Norgale. There are trenails holding planks not only at the ends, but also to the beams running under the middle portions of the planks. Here are examples. Note how there are various ways to trenail the planks in the middle portions. Some are single trenails, others are two trenails in parallel, and a third is two trenails diagonally positioned. Note also the variations in trenail positions near the margin plank. As a modeler, I always ask, which pattern is correct for my shop model? Information on that topic is usually unavailable (historically undocumented) and I have to make a wild guess.

View attachment 394343

View attachment 394344

1694627885544-png.394345

View attachment 394346

View attachment 394345
Nailed it!

Back