HMS Thorn. Scratch build Swan class following the books written by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert

Are you following TFFM original, because the revised addition seems substantially different in terms of order of build?
Fitting the Wales, for example, seems much harder after completing the Upper Deck.

Great job Kevin, I'm looking at the clamps you use for holding the wales. They have the piece of bent threaded rod at the bottom that somehow holds the clamp in place. With all the internal planking done, what does that hook on to. Thanks.

Hi Don.
i did not fully plank the inside so i would have access to spaces that would allow me to do this. I am currently working with a Japanese maker of box clamps and should have some long reach clamps in the future that may be interesting. What i have found is if you bend or shape the planks to fit very little pressure is needed to hold it in place. When i can‘t get a clamp in i will use CA.

Hi Don.
i did not fully plank the inside so i would have access to spaces that would allow me to do this. I am currently working with a Japanese maker of box clamps and should have some long reach clamps in the future that may be interesting. What i have found is if you bend or shape the planks to fit very little pressure is needed to hold it in place. When i can‘t get a clamp in i will use CA.
Thanks Kevin I was just hoping that you had come up with a magic clamp. I managed the wales on the Discovery1789 but I had to use clamps that screw into the frames. I put a lot of work into those frames and I hated to drill a bunch of hole in them:)

Thanks Kevin I was just hoping that you had come up with a magic clamp. I managed the wales on the Discovery1789 but I had to use clamps that screw into the frames. I put a lot of work into those frames and I hated to drill a bunch of hole in them:)
I do not plan doing this on the Thorn. I have the same screw clamps, but will not use them.

Hi Kevin

I have been absent from the forum for a while.Bizarre coincidence that I drop into your log when only last night I was watching one of your videos on coppering a hull.

Great work not only on your build but also your time spent making all your great videos.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Kevin

I have been absent from the forum for a while.Bizarre coincidence that I drop into your log when only last night I was watching one of your videos on coppering a hull.

Great work not only on your build but also your time spent making all your great videos.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thank you Nigel. The videos lengthen the build time considerably and are forcing me to develop new skills that i never thought i could learn.

Once more a very informative video - I think I will order these minaiture chisels - they are looking very good

Back