HMS Victory - 1:98 scale. Mantua Model

That is so true. When I am building a scale model, I want it to be as exact a replica as I can get it. In the case of the Victory, I want her to look exactly like what I've seen and touched whilst on board.
I am hoping to get in another visit to her this year and get some more and up to date photos.
There is a Web site that I found yesterday, that sells scale parts for many ships. The full set of cannons for the Victory would set me back over £500, so I will be doing my own mods.
What is that web site? I need two entry ports for my cross-section.

It's no problem making gun port lids from wood using strips in two layers. You will have to make some wood strips from scrap or buy some. If you want to get super detailed, match the planking seams on each lid to the surrounding hull planking. If the lids are displayed open, you won't see if the planking doesn't line up.

View attachment 413852

Nonfunctional hinges for the lids appear more realistic to scale. These hinges come with Corel model kits and are functional, rotating on bent brass pins normally used for holding planks to frames.
View attachment 413854

Test fit of a gun port lid. All the gaps and misalignments in the lid and planking show up under close photography, but this ship is small at 1:100 scale, so every flaw is evident when you get this close.
View attachment 413855
I have found that the hinges supplied with my cross-section are too large and too long to be used on my model. The gun ports are 10mm square and these hinges are 12mm long meaning I would have to trim them and this would not look good. The are too wide as well. I wish I could get a dozen hinges like the ones on my Mamoli model. gun port 1.jpg

Maybe you take a look at @dafi s web-page
Originally in scale 1:100 for the plastic Heller kit - but maybe it is fitting

View attachment 424930 View attachment 424932

View attachment 424931

and you wild a lot of other things, which can be very useful for the 1:98 model
Thanks!! 1/100 is so close to 1/98 that no one would ever be able to tell the difference. The entries provided by Corel are wood and totally devoid of any detail.

That is so true. When I am building a scale model, I want it to be as exact a replica as I can get it. In the case of the Victory, I want her to look exactly like what I've seen and touched whilst on board.
I am hoping to get in another visit to her this year and get some more and up to date photos.
There is a Web site that I found yesterday, that sells scale parts for many ships. The full set of cannons for the Victory would set me back over £500, so I will be doing my own mods.
When adding details using purchased parts, the cost climbs rapidly, but unless you own a ropewalk and tools for microcarving plus the skill to use them, a fully accurized model, buying detailing parts is the only alternative. However, if the build is completed over 3-5 years, a $4000 model is cheaper than many other hobbies. It all depends on where on the price scale you want to be.

As a retired engineer, I like to do things myself wherever possible.
She will never be perfect, but if I have done everything that I possibly can to make her look the part, then I will be happy.

My second ever wooden model ship.
Hopefully putting into practice, lessons learned from building the Halcon and taking on board the excellent advice from members on this site.
HMS Victory is currently in dry dock at my "shipyard", with the false keel clamped in the jig. 18 bulkhead frames and first deck ready to glue in place.
Hallo @Ajmitch51
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks Patrick. I'm currently sanding down those horizontal strips as I haven't yet got the small hand plane that they recommend.
USS Constitution is quite a model. Looks to be a lot of work from what I've seen in the Web catalog.
I can recommend the Veritas mini plane, expensive at £40 when I bought mine from Axminster Tools, but I've no regrets, it works marvellously, better than those little wood & brass jobbys. USS Connie by Mantua, was my 2nd build ( 1st in my return to the hobby after 33 years), which I found pretty much straight forward.

Thanks for that recommendation Stuart.
Finally, I get to work on my ship again. Had to appease my good lady wife and re-decorate the house. All finished now and one very happy wife.
I've just started work on the stern gallery, trying to get as close as I can to what I can see in my and other folks photos. The laser etched parts that Mantua supply in the kit leave a lot to be desired. (see photo 1). Photo 2 shows how it should look. Photo 3 is work in progress. I carved the two little scrolls at the bottom from scrap wood. The engravings on the right and left edges didn't look right being totally flat, so I am slowly building up a profile using tiny drops of aliphatic resin, to try and create a 3D effect.

20240229_114942.jpg20240229_115022.jpgImage1.jpg

Last edited:
Back