HMS Victory build - Mantua/Panart 738 by Daliab - [COMPLETED BUILD]

A very fine place for your model - Once more my Congratulations for this model !!!
And now? Do you have already a new project running?

Hello Daliab

I have been working on my Victory for 6 months now. I am far away from sails but would love to do the furled sails like you.

Is there some advice on these(did read your log), but I would like to practice a little. Also did you buy your silkspan on-line? I am struggling to find here in SA?

Cheers

I purchased my silkspan from www.bluejacketinc.com. it looks very much like tissue paper found around boxed clothes at Christmas.
I watched youtube videos by Tom Lauria on the subject of sails. It looks harder than it really was to do. I folded over and glued down about 1/8" all around the outer edge of the cut out sail. After attaching and let hang dry silkspan to the yard with thread, I sprayed a light mist of water on it. The silkspan turns very limp. Using threat, I looped around the yard and the bottom of the sail. Tightening the thread caused the sail to fold up to the yard. You can adjust the wet tied up sail to you liking. When dry the silkspan hardens almost like papermache. I will tell you, after using silkspan, I will use it on all my models that have sails. To me, it looks more realistic than the lightest cloth I've used in the past. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I purchased my silkspan from www.bluejacketinc.com. it looks very much like tissue paper found around boxed clothes at Christmas.
I watched youtube videos by Tom Lauria on the subject of sails. It looks harder than it really was to do. I folded over and glued down about 1/8" all around the outer edge of the cut out sail. After attaching and let hang dry silkspan to the yard with thread, I sprayed a light mist of water on it. The silkspan turns very limp. Using threat, I looped around the yard and the bottom of the sail. Tightening the thread caused the sail to fold up to the yard. You can adjust the wet tied up sail to you liking. When dry the silkspan hardens almost like papermache. I will tell you, after using silkspan, I will use it on all my models that have sails. To me, it looks more realistic than the lightest cloth I've used in the past. Hope this helps.
It does- much appreciated. I will get some and do some practice runs first. Cheers. Got loads of time still

Thank you.
Go to this link. There is a much more in depth build log there. At the time, I didn't know about this site.

I've had this kit sitting on top of my wardrobe for the last 2 yrs. while gathering as much info. as possible regarding discrepancies with accuracy before starting the build. I also have a part-built Corel version that I've abandoned due to inaccuracies & poor materials/parts.

Depending how accurate you want your model, Victory does not have exterior gun-port frames.
This being my second ever build and first plank on plank attempt, I was really trying not to muff it up by straying away from the plans...which had a lot to be desired. As I progressed through the build and gained more knowledge of the original ship, I had noted many issues that weren't correct... but also found none of the manufactures are totally correct in their kits. At the time of this build, the people responsible for the original ship couldn't agree on the real color of the ship, although ochre was widely used for years. So, even the experts were having a hard time of getting it right.... and they had the original ship. My goal was to enjoy the challenge of the build, have fun, learn stuff I knew nothing about, and bottomline.... not to muff it up.

Last edited:
How I got started in this hobby. A couple of years ago the wife and I went to Boston to visit my sister. While there we went into a gift store in Rhode Island that had all of these beautiful looking wooden model sail boats. I said to myself I would love to build one of these. That Christmas, my wife bought me the Smuggler from Blue Jacket. I started it with lots of enthusiasm that petered out after a couple of months. Bottomline.... I retired 1 1/2 years ago and decided to finish the Smuggler. When I sent pictures to my sister she stated that lots of models have been distroyed by wives who attemptef to remove the dust. So... I decided to build a display case. Here is the finish product.

View attachment 135022
Hallo @Daliab
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Fantastic build. Enjoyed stepping through your build log and have a number of ideas for my current build particularly relating to the sails.

How I got started in this hobby. A couple of years ago the wife and I went to Boston to visit my sister. While there we went into a gift store in Rhode Island that had all of these beautiful looking wooden model sail boats. I said to myself I would love to build one of these. That Christmas, my wife bought me the Smuggler from Blue Jacket. I started it with lots of enthusiasm that petered out after a couple of months. Bottomline.... I retired 1 1/2 years ago and decided to finish the Smuggler. When I sent pictures to my sister she stated that lots of models have been distroyed by wives who attemptef to remove the dust. So... I decided to build a display case. Here is the finish product.

Hallo @Daliab
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Once more, I have to say, that you have build a wonderfull Victory model
Are you working in moment on a new project? Maybe you show us the actual work ....

Holy Cow! Spent $250 for the oak lumber to build a similar display case built 2 years ago (pictured). Checked on the price of double pain glass for the display case.... $360. Total $610. The case will almost cost more that what I paid for the Mantua/Panart 738 kit. Crazy.
Ran into the same issue with cost when I made one for my Victory.

Back